Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The CRITERION DVD and Blu-ray Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/10082-criterion-dvd-blu-ray-thread.html)

WaveCrest 22nd February 2009 12:24 AM

The CRITERION DVD and Blu-ray Thread

It seems to me like the Criterion DVD releases of older movies are much superior to other R1 and R2 releases of the same movies. I was reading in the week on DVD Times some of a review of Carnival of Souls (1962). The Criterion release is the best version to get. It has loads of extras.

I would like to get this version on DVD, but looking at the prices on eBay I think they're too high.

I'd like to get as well the Criterion version of Rebecca (1941), but as that is a rare title now it's getting ridiculous prices on eBay.

cloud 22nd February 2009 02:29 PM

Criterion releases always sell for a premium, you're looking at between £13-25 for each release depending on how many discs there are. I have one Criterion in my collection (Videodrome) and it's fantastic with the booklet, extras and the cut scenes not found in the Universal barebones release. It just depends on how much you like the film and how much of an upgrade you think it's worth, it's also worth noting that they're a bit more expensive now with the GBP being so weak.

WaveCrest 22nd February 2009 07:00 PM

That's the problem Cloud. With the weak pound at the moment buying TV DVD boxsets and film DVDs from the US is way more expensive than it was 6+ months ago.

There were loads of copies of the Carnival of Souls Criterion DVD on eBay. It's the Rebecca Criterion DVD which is rare. It's a pity Criterion can't re-release it.

cloud 22nd February 2009 08:32 PM

I'm sure they will Wavey, everything gets re-issued sooner or later. The weak GBP most certainly is a problem now, my importing is minimal and with so many US companies going under I'm helpless to buy their product before it's gone for good.

eiren 23rd February 2009 04:07 PM

Criterion are starting to concentrate on Blu-ray releases now. I've just got their version of The Third Man... and it's a stunning release.

Wait for the Blu-ray version is my advice.

NossB 23rd February 2009 06:27 PM

I've found that some Criterion releases are now dropping in price, even the chancers at ebay are dropping their prices... Although you do get the odd one trying to sell Robocop for £40+

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd February 2009 09:59 PM

I used to collect them,but as mentioned they were getting a bit pricey....
Titles I've got rid of include....
STRAW DOGS (Regrettably)
PEEPING TOM
BLOOD FOR DRACULA
THE NIGHT PORTER
SILENCE OF THE LAMBS
THE ROCK
ARMAGEDDON
TRAFFIC
DEAD RINGERS

Only one's I've got left are;
VIDEODROME
FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th March 2009 09:34 PM

I too was going to start collecting Criterion's at some stage, but the prices put me off as well... I came to purchase some and thought for the price of a Criterion I could buy three or so other DVD's that I wanted.

The only ones I have managed to get (so far) are:

- Blood for Dracula
- Brazil (3 Disc Version)
- La Commare secca
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
- Flesh for Frankenstein
- Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages
- The Silence of the Lambs
- Videodrome

I will probably get more, but price will be a big factor in whether that will happen.

WaveCrest 20th June 2009 05:09 PM

I'd like to get a 70's movie called The Friends of Eddie Coyle, but it appears Criterion only ship to the US and Canada.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 20th June 2009 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaveCrest (Post 31428)
I'd like to get a 70's movie called The Friends of Eddie Coyle, but it appears Criterion only ship to the US and Canada.

Try Amazon marketplace mate. That's where I bought all my Criterion titles from: The Friends of Eddie Coyle