Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree1221Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:09 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I'm not 100% sure on this but I think the German Black Torment DVD features the cut UK print (the opening forest murder).
Old 23rd January 2009, 07:54 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I haven't watched many of the German classic horror releases so far- as I'm desperately trying to keep track of what's currently coming out- but they sure know how to do spot on cover artwork.

Yes, the Germans DO have a thing for steelbooks...and here's a word of advise if you're a sucker for this kind of packaging:

Since the German "Youth Protection" laws have been tightened yet again and made even stricter than before, the current cover sleeves and steelbooks will only be legally available till the end of THIS year, as from 2010 on, ALL DVDs in Germany will have to meet the new guidelines, which force distributors to put a butt-ugly BIG sized version of the FSK rating on the cover sleeve, meaning that most extra fancy packaging will be a thing of the past, since the whole design will be totally ruined from the collectors' pov!

Some companies, like Sony, have already announced plans for reversible cover artwork, but right now it's hard to say whether or not the "Youth Protectors" will also do their best to close this gap....

In short: If you want to buy some collector's editions from Germany, do it NOW!

It'll look about as shitty as this- just so you've been warned:

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASI...hnittberich-21

Last edited by Peter Neal; 23rd January 2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old 28th January 2009, 10:02 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Thanks for that Peter....
RAZORBACK is also available as a 2 disc SE.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 512ieikfLKL__SS500_.jpg (53.8 KB, 8 views)

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 29th January 2009, 11:10 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Thanks for that Peter....
RAZORBACK is also available as a 2 disc SE.....
I have the Australian r0 disc from Umbrella which features a decent documentary & the snippets of gore removed before release (Quite tame actually)
Old 29th January 2009, 11:54 AM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Dracucarr,you seen this collection from EMS?
I'm glad you've started a thread on these German beauties and I'd be very interested as to which are an improvement over previous UK/US releases. Mojo, I have Curse of the Crimson Altar and having watched the opening sequence it is cut. As the sequence starts you can hear a solitary whiplash just like the DD release. Very disappointing. Nice packaging though.

That Night of the Big Heat cover though is a shocker. Apart from Christopher Lee being in it, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the film. I would love for Blood of the Vampire and The Black Torment to be uncut (while in decent quiality), but I buy a lot of these based on cover art. The Hammer E-M-S releases are especially stunning. Those having trouble playing the Universal Hammer set at least have the option of buying them seperately although at a more costly price. It's Hammer though so for me at least that is not an issue

Oh, and for all Hannie Caulder fans I heartily recommend the E-M-S release as the film looks lovely. Shatter is also uncut, unlike the Anchor Bay US version. I have The Oblong Box, but am yet to compare. However, I was pleased with the quality of the Midnite Movies release so I'm not expecting anything ground breaking with this one.
Old 29th January 2009, 07:52 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Recieved DEVILS OF DARKNESS and ASYLUM today-both stunning artwork..

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 29th January 2009, 09:56 PM
Cultist in Training

When you get round to watching Devils of Darkness could you let me know what the transfer is like and whether it's cut or not?
Old 29th January 2009, 10:18 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yeah,no probs Drac,but I ain't watched the Odeon one yet either....

Old 29th January 2009, 11:19 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

The old Arthouse VHS & DD Video DVD releases of Devils Of Darkness are uncut (restoring the snake/dancing woman scene).
Old 30th January 2009, 08:19 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
The old Arthouse VHS & DD Video DVD releases of Devils Of Darkness are uncut (restoring the snake/dancing woman scene).
Cheers vincenzo. I was aware that the DD release was uncut, but that the quality and framing was nowhere near as good as the Midnite Movies release. I'm hoping that the German version is uncut and on par with the MM DVD. Fingers crossed that reaper will come back positive on that score.

Like this? Share it using the links below!