Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The German/French DVD and Blu-ray Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/1017-german-french-dvd-blu-ray-thread.html)

NossB 10th February 2009 07:15 PM

What's Amazon.de like for shipping to the UK? it's just that I noticed they're selling Abwärts for a few Euros.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th February 2009 07:23 PM

I usually recieve DVD's within 3-5 days Noss.

bedorca 10th February 2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 21713)
Fraid not Drac,I've been too busy trawling Poundland....:D

Wasting your time mate ;)

Come back in October

Started watching Poundland special Hellmaster the other night.

Had to turn it off

Utter shite

Made a nice coaster for beer!!!

Mojo 10th February 2009 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dracucarr (Post 21708)
Ah, I didn't bother checking the extras after the initial disappointment so at least there is something there. Thanks for letting us know, but it's a shame they couldn't have incorporated it into the film. I'll check out the disc later.

The Reptile is a good disc Mojo, but unlike some of the other German Hammer's I bought this was based solely on the cover art. I personally didn't notice much difference between E-M-S vs ABUS. According to DVD Compare the aspect ratio's differ aswell as the German release having an extra stills gallery

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=5236

This is another pair I'm gonna have to check out again. Have you watched Devils of Darkness yet reaper?

Cheers, dracucarr. I have the Dutch (?) release of The Reptile on the Green Cow label. Anamorphic widescreen, with two episodes of World Of Hammer ( 'Thriller' and 'Costumes' ). Picture quality is excellent.

The cover features the original cinema artwork, as featured on the back page of issue 19 of House Of Hammer magazine.

I only had the UK release as part of the Hammer boxset which was awful quality, so this upgrade was well worth it. I really like the film - it's another of those 'minor' Hammer gems.

mark meakin 11th February 2009 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 21777)
Cheers, dracucarr. I have the Dutch (?) release of The Reptile on the Sacred Cow label. Anamorphic widescreen, with two episodes of World Of Hammer ( 'Thriller' and 'Costumes' ). Picture quality is excellent.

Yes it is the Dutch release from GREEN Cow Mojo & I also bought it after checking out the dire Optimum release in my boxed set.The 'Costumes' episode also contains footage of Marie Devereaux still missing from the nice looking Sony release of Stranglers Of Bombay (Probably footage of her cut by the BBFC for an 'A' due to her getting 'aroused' by the torture of Thugee victims)

Mojo 11th February 2009 11:19 AM

Cheers, mark - Green Cow it is ( post amended :blush: ).
That's interesting about the WOH episode featuring missing footage from Stranglers Of Bombay - I'll have to check that out.

mark meakin 11th February 2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 21799)
Cheers, mark - Green Cow it is ( post amended :blush: ).
That's interesting about the WOH episode featuring missing footage from Stranglers Of Bombay - I'll have to check that out.

Marie Devereauxs part in SOB is reduced to almost nothing,though I also suppose as well as the fact she's clearly turned on by the tortures,her ample busom was also probably too much for the BBFC to pass in a 'A' film:).The films trailer in the Icons Of Adventure set (recommended though you probably have it)also shows footage missing from the main feature.There was a lot of discussion on various forums about the missing Devereaux footage but AFAIK it's never been included in any release prints worldwide since the BBFC removed it,so it would be interesting to see where the World Of Hammer footage came from.Even with the cuts made (also for violence) it's still strong stuff for an 'A' at the time.

dracucarr 13th February 2009 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 21777)
I have the Dutch (?) release of The Reptile on the Green Cow label. The cover features the original cinema artwork, as featured on the back page of issue 19 of House Of Hammer magazine.

Hey Mojo, I wouldn't mind adding this version to my collection also. Do you mind me asking where you bought it from? Ebay? I love The Reptile and a lot of these 'minor' films are some of Hammer's most enjoyable so they do deserve a lot more TV time. Plague of the Zombies outside of the Dracula and Frankenstein films, oh, and The Devil Rides Out, is probably my favourite Hammer. No Terence Fisher or Lee and Cushing links may be partly why they aren't given the credit they deserve, but at least the likes of Quatermass and the Pit seems to have a fair bit of love

Mojo 13th February 2009 08:57 PM

Yup - I bought the Dutch dvd of The Reptile from a ( reputable ) eBay store - I bought the last copy they had. I can't remember who it was off hand, but I'll have a trawl through and let you know. The quality of the print is excellent by the way.

Agree with you about Plague Of The Zombies - one of my favourite Hammers. Superb ( and very influential ) movie. Great stuff.

dracucarr 13th February 2009 09:04 PM

Thanks Mojo, I'll keep a look out for it. I dunno how this one passed me by. Knowing my luck it'll be deleted :D:(:mad: Plague of the Zombies is certainly influential although when I showed it to a particular 'zombie' fan he was like, "how's that a zombie film when they don't ****ing eat each other!" He wasn't impressed and I don't think anything post Night of the Living Dead ever will be to him. His loss.