All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1221Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd September 2012, 08:51 AM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I find it hard to believe how many films which are quite tame by today's standards are still banned in Germany and, even though it's in perfect, the BBFC is still head and shoulders above just about every classification/censorship body in the Western world.

I recently saw This Film Is Not yet Rated for the first time and was stunned by how secretive, unaccountable and corrupt the MPAA is when it comes to dealing with sexual content in films and with independent and studio films. If you haven't seen it, it's essential viewing.
The MPAA come across like a dark ages court in this, there's something vaguely spooky about them.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 3rd September 2012, 03:40 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I find it hard to believe how many films which are quite tame by today's standards are still banned in Germany and, even though it's in perfect, the BBFC is still head and shoulders above just about every classification/censorship body in the Western world.

I recently saw This Film Is Not yet Rated for the first time and was stunned by how secretive, unaccountable and corrupt the MPAA is when it comes to dealing with sexual content in films and with independent and studio films. If you haven't seen it, it's essential viewing.
I've seen the documentary - it's really well made and interesting. The only thing that kinda bugged me was that for the first half of the film they showed exactly the scenes that were responsible for other films NC-17 rating and then when the rating for TFINYR came in, they acted REALLY surprised that it was also rated NC-17. Gee, what a shock. But I found it especially interesting how the whole process of the appeal etc. went.

The part that was the most unnecessary for me was when they dug through the MPAA member's trash and tried to force their names and faces onto the screen. I don't think that's in any way relevant to the general public.

So I don't think that this film is the 'perfect' MPAA documentary, but it showed some very interesting interviews and gave cool insights - I definitely don't regret watching it.

What I really hate about the German system is how overly complicated and burocratic it is. If you read the story of what Turbine had to go through to remove the ban on "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" - I'd say at least half of the crime novels ever written are less suspenseful than that.

Cliffnotes (I hope my memory doesn't screw things up here):
- Films are removed from the Index automatically after 25 years
- You can appeal the 'Indizierung' (there's no English word for that, I'm afraid) basically anytime, but you need profound backup from lawyers/experts/etc. Bildstörung got the Indizierung on "Henry - Portrait of a Serial Killer" lifted and they said their report was 16 pages long and that it was a long discussion, and still it was a very close decision at the end.

- Bans (Beschlagnahmungen) do not automatically become invalid. It's written somewhere that they are only valid for 10 years, yet the current BPJM reports still list bans from way longer ago
- You can only appeal a recent ban. Meanung: It's virtually impossible to get a movie un-banned that has been banned a long time ago. What saved Turbine was the fact that even though TCM was banned for a very long time, one DVD release was explicitely banned after they started fighting the ban. They then fought against this ban specifically and once it went through, the film was basically free. That happened months after they got the light Spio/JK rating for the film (which proved that the film isn't harmful to the youth) and after the BPJM said that they would lift the Indizierung ... but can't because the film was still beschlagnahmt.

So basically: Even though they worked hard for years even (I think) and had backup from the BPJM, different lawers, experts, etc., in the end it all boiled down to a lot of luck.

And to be honest, that's not a system of protecting the youth, thats a joke - and not even a good one at that!
Old 3rd September 2012, 07:05 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I don't he was genuinely surprised at the NC-17 rating, he just pretended to be in order to appeal the decision and see what really happened in an appeal and who is there.

Flawed, yes, but essential viewing for anyone with an interest in censorship.
Old 3rd September 2012, 08:52 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Just a quick note:

Rabid Grannies was just a released as a small and large hardbox in Austria (the latter being limited to 222 copies).
It contains three different versions of the movie and lots of bonus material. I will get it when the cyber-pirates do their Halloween-Sale

(This is the cover of the large hardbox edition)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XT990312_cybg.jpg (28.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 7th September 2012, 02:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Second Sight BD is excellent but i just had to have this one.

Stephen: I licked on it and it is delicious

zane likes this.
Old 7th September 2012, 08:52 PM
Seasoned Cultist

You got a real beauty there !

Look what has been announced today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 386143_439883916053819_2127764681_n.jpg (83.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 7th September 2012, 08:56 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
You got a real beauty there !

Look what has been announced today
Yep, already mentioned on the upcoming non-UK blu-ray thread. Maybe I should've posted it here.
Old 10th September 2012, 05:16 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Got some nice goodies today - Conquest includes the Soundtrack by Claudio Simonetti! The mediabook is also really nice looking, it has a fine leather texture and includes a small poster.
Notice also the design of the Last House On the Left discs, featuring German poster art
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P100912_18.37.jpg (92.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg P100912_18.38.jpg (93.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P100912_18.39.jpg (94.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P100912_18.47_[01].jpg (96.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 11th September 2012, 04:22 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Here's what the ahem,kids got me for my birthday.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r.fluchdermumie-hammer.jpg (24.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DVD3349K_gf.jpg (18.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 51DPWAEX1TL.jpg (58.5 KB, 5 views)

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 11th September 2012, 04:23 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

That BURNING hardbox is awesome.
66 it was limited to wasn't it?

Don't see any number on mine....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!