Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispyduck View Post
Very nice, I believe 2 speakers is enough as I only have 2 ears
Thats a way to put it
Old 14th May 2013, 01:26 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I see some of you guys pile the DVD/BD players on top of each other. You do know this is bad and causes overheating and will shorten the life of said players? Well, so the experts say, anyway....but what do they know?
Old 14th May 2013, 01:32 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispyduck View Post
Very nice, I believe 2 speakers is enough as I only have 2 ears
It's not only about the stereo image, it's also to do with the soundfield and depth of sound. You've got two eyes, so why don't you watch two TVs simultaneously?

I'm not knocking 2.1 though, a good sound system is a good system whatever it is. I personally prefer the immersive sensation of surround, a stereo rendering would highlight different audio aspects and would be...well...different. Not better or worse, just different, as it's downmixing 5.1 channels of sound to just 2.1 (or just 2).

Like I say, not knocking anyone here, but saying you only need stereo as you only have two ears is kind of missing the point and is a self-defeating argument.
VeZius likes this.
Old 14th May 2013, 06:09 AM
Cultist in Training

It was said with tongue firmly in cheek I have seen and heard some amzing and seriously expensive surround systems and yes 5.1 and 7.1 etc do work extremely well but all those speakers are too much for me
Daemonia likes this.
Old 14th May 2013, 12:23 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I see some of you guys pile the DVD/BD players on top of each other. You do know this is bad and causes overheating and will shorten the life of said players? Well, so the experts say, anyway....but what do they know?
I would love a proper stacked shelving unit for all my players but due to room space, stacking them on top is the only way to go at the moment. My DVD player is unplugged at the moment due to lack of HDMI leads and can't find my scart lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
It's not only about the stereo image, it's also to do with the soundfield and depth of sound. You've got two eyes, so why don't you watch two TVs simultaneously?

I'm not knocking 2.1 though, a good sound system is a good system whatever it is. I personally prefer the immersive sensation of surround, a stereo rendering would highlight different audio aspects and would be...well...different. Not better or worse, just different, as it's downmixing 5.1 channels of sound to just 2.1 (or just 2).

Like I say, not knocking anyone here, but saying you only need stereo as you only have two ears is kind of missing the point and is a self-defeating argument.
2.1 is good but agreed the immersive sensation of surround is just heaven. When you're watching something like JAWS on blu-ray and you John Williams score playing in 5.1, it catapults you into the film where as 2.1 doesn't do this. Still nowt wrong with 2.1 but for me 5.1 or 7.1 is the way to got.
Old 14th May 2013, 12:32 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I've not gone 7.1, even though I have an amp that supports it. I guess it's just another couple of speakers to shell out for and have to take out of the cupboard and unravel the wires each time I watch a film - oh yes, the wife was totally against having the speakers out on show, so they live in the cupboard when they're not in use.
Old 27th May 2013, 01:37 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
I've not gone 7.1, even though I have an amp that supports it. I guess it's just another couple of speakers to shell out for and have to take out of the cupboard and unravel the wires each time I watch a film - oh yes, the wife was totally against having the speakers out on show, so they live in the cupboard when they're not in use.
I'd never bother if I had to do that every time I watched a film - which is on a daily basis!
Old 27th May 2013, 01:40 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Yeah, I'd be putting her in the cupboard instead of the speakers, Paul
Daemonia and VeZius like this.
Old 27th May 2013, 02:14 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Yeah, I'd be putting her in the cupboard instead of the speakers, Paul
She would probably sound better that way too.
Old 27th May 2013, 02:46 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Nothing too fancy. Sony 32" Smart TV, Sony BD,Bush multi region DVD,Philips video player and an Acoustic Solutions 5.1 surround system. Buddha is non functional Sorry about the bad floor tiles, awaiting a new carpet.

"A good fight should be like a small play...but played seriously. When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity... l do not hit...it hits all by itself."

Last edited by wongfeihung62; 27th May 2013 at 03:10 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!