Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The 88 Films Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/11297-88-films-thread.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th November 2014 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 425954)
I was also one of the fifteen Suzi. :(

Take this remote control and complete your journey to the blu side......

Palpatine's Laugh - YouTube

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th November 2014 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by profondo rosso (Post 426014)
A giallo line would be awesome in yellow :)

:pound:

BAKA 21st November 2014 12:16 PM

Just chiming in on the packaging debate. Perhaps I've been spoiled with Camera Obscura, but I too hope 88 Films do something a little different from the norm for their Italian line packaging. I'm not sure I even care what, but I'd love to see the line given a distinctive presence like the slasher line.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st November 2014 12:23 PM

Hi Peoples.

Please join in and list your top 20, 50, 100 etc, science fiction films here.

https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci...i-fi-list.html

Lets try and make this a fantastic poll and give Bizarre_Eye loads of work to do compiling it. :heh:

88 Films 21st November 2014 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 426057)
Just chiming in on the packaging debate. Perhaps I've been spoiled with Camera Obscura, but I too hope 88 Films do something a little different from the norm for their Italian line packaging. I'm not sure I even care what, but I'd love to see the line given a distinctive presence like the slasher line.

Obviously we don't want to go 'yellow' - our valued friends at Shameless do that colour very well! But other suggestions are appreciated - Troma has been green, Full Moon was very Blu and Slasher Classics is red. We need to stress that 88 Italian is not just giallo though! We have two zombie shockers to begin with followed by a pair of giallo thrillers and one ex-nasty! (We'll confirm these in due time!)

We are discussing our crowd funder this morning as we finally got a figure from the Italian licensor for the new Zombi Holocaust transfer - so stay tuned and please show your support!

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st November 2014 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88 Films (Post 426087)
Obviously we don't want to go 'yellow' - our valued friends at Shameless do that colour very well! But other suggestions are appreciated - Troma has been green, Full Moon was very Blu and Slasher Classics is red. We need to stress that 88 Italian is not just giallo though! We have two zombie shockers to begin with followed by a pair of giallo thrillers and one ex-nasty! (We'll confirm these in due time!)

Perhaps a darker blue like the Italian flag?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 21st November 2014 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 426090)
Perhaps a darker blue like the Italian flag?

That's green, white, and red Dem. ;)

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...Bs-do5lF2u7DNU

Vipp 21st November 2014 01:32 PM

Quote:

We are discussing our crowd funder this morning as we finally got a figure from the Italian licensor for the new Zombi Holocaust transfer - so stay tuned and please show your support!

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!! PLEASE DO 88Films Lanyards PLEASE! I can't wait for this transfer! :woot:

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st November 2014 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 426092)
That's green, white, and red Dem. ;)

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...Bs-do5lF2u7DNU

:doh: I was thinking of the national football shirt and substituting that blue for the green in the flag.

:o

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 21st November 2014 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 426094)
:doh: I was thinking of the national football shirt and substituting that blue for the green in the flag.

:o

That's your problem right there. :tongue1:

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st November 2014 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 426095)
That's your problem right there. :tongue1:

:lol:

Actually you'd be surprised how football gives you a pretty good knowledge of places and countries. (Clearly not flags though :rolleyes:)

:focus:

Stephen@Cult Labs 21st November 2014 01:47 PM

88 Films Upcoming releases

Quote:

Curious why you went with the thinner cases for the Slasher Collection. I'm happy you did though, I've never really been a fan of the thicker ones (us and the Australians just had to be different than everyone else lol).

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st November 2014 03:13 PM

Quote:

I know it's quite boring but, in terms of sport, Italy normally plays in blue jerseys/shirts, or sometimes white (the other, in their flag, with red and green already taken), so what about one of those?

BAKA 21st November 2014 03:18 PM

It's a shame that High Rising's giallo feature is exclusive to Synapse's Tenebrae release, now that 88 Films is releasing a couple of giallo it would have been perfect. I'd much rather have seen that than Scream Queens. Like a few in the UK, I'm not about to shell out for another Tenebrae release on BD, especially when the previous was so great.

Antropophagus 22nd November 2014 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88 Films (Post 425973)
Right now we have three new titles lined up for the 88 Italian line with two great giallos and an ex-nasty!

If I am not mistaken there are no English subtitles on your releases. Tell me please, what are you going to do with these upcoming Italian movies, especially giallos? Only English dubs or English dubs and Italian audio with English subtitles?

88 Films 22nd November 2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antropophagus (Post 426195)
If I am not mistaken there are no English subtitles on your releases. Tell me please, what are you going to do with these upcoming Italian movies, especially giallos? Only English dubs or English dubs and Italian audio with English subtitles?

Often the reason there only English dubs on Italian releases is down to the contract from the licensor I am afraid. That part is out of most label's control.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd November 2014 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88 Films (Post 426208)
Often the reason there only English dubs on Italian releases is down to the contract from the licensor I am afraid. That part is out of most label's control.

Subs and Italian soundtracks don't seem to be an issue for Arrow, Blue Underground, Raro, Shameless, Mondo Macabro, Synapse etc so i'm sure you'll have no problems getting them. :)

Stephen@Cult Labs 22nd November 2014 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 426209)
Subs and Italian soundtracks don't seem to be an issue for Arrow, Blue Underground, Raro, Shameless, Mondo Macabro, Synapse etc so i'm sure you'll have no problems getting them. :)

Perhaps the titles, whatever they might be, have Italian tracks, but need to have subtitles translated, which all costs money. Or perhaps the owners will only supply a version with a dubbed English track. You never know. We just have to wait and see. There have been releases from other companies released with only dubbed soundtracks. The new movie only editions of Demons from Synapse comes to mind.

sjconstable 22nd November 2014 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88 Films (Post 426208)

Most include Italian audio nowadays, and that's how I watch Italian films.

sjconstable 22nd November 2014 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 426210)
There have been releases from other companies released with only dubbed soundtracks. The new movie only editions of Demons from Synapse comes to mind.

That's just to make the limited editions seem more worth it, a better example would be Arrow contractually unable to include Italian audio for Sleepless.

Stephen@Cult Labs 22nd November 2014 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjconstable (Post 426214)
That's just to make the limited editions seem more worth it, a better example would be Arrow contractually unable to include Italian audio for Sleepless.

Thanks for that! I knew there was an Arrow release like that, but couldn't remember which one.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd November 2014 02:34 PM

It's all irrelevant until the specs are released anyway.

Stephen@Cult Labs 22nd November 2014 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 426220)
It's all irrelevant until the specs are released anyway.

Which is why I wondered about saying if other companies can do it, they can as well. ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd November 2014 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 426221)
Which is why I wondered about saying if other companies can do it, they can as well. ;)

It was a fair comment in partial response to other posts. :)

platostotal 22nd November 2014 03:29 PM

Cosa problema amici?:)

JAMIOUSE 23rd November 2014 08:57 PM

Any hints as to what the gialli may be? We know ones an ex nasty but can you give us any clues?

Crimson Blade 23rd November 2014 09:58 PM

Solange and All The Colours of The Dark would be nice.
And Absurd would make a great ex nasty.

Stephen@Cult Labs 23rd November 2014 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE (Post 426307)
Any hints as to what the gialli may be? We know ones an ex nasty but can you give us any clues?

I wonder indeed!

JAMIOUSE 23rd November 2014 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 426313)
I wonder indeed!

Oh stop it you! I'll get the electrodes out again...

Solange would be lovely, I've only watched the Shriek Show dvd once because it's stuck in my mind so well. Seven Blood Stained Orchids would be a great addition, altough Seven Notes in Black is crying out for a HD release.

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd November 2014 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 426313)
I wonder indeed!

You probably know already. :nod:

Stephen@Cult Labs 23rd November 2014 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE (Post 426314)
Oh stop it you! I'll get the electrodes out again...

Solange would be lovely, I've only watched the Shriek Show dvd once because it's stuck in my mind so well. Seven Blood Stained Orchids would be a great addition, altough Seven Notes in Black is crying out for a HD release.

I honestly have no idea, but you're welcome to get the electrodes out! :lol:

Antropophagus 24th November 2014 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE (Post 426314)
Seven Notes in Black is crying out for a HD release.

It's being released by '84 Entertainment. It's English friendly. I have pre-ordered it. Haven't found any reviews yet, just a couple of comments on facebook that it looks good. And the German subs are optional.

Stephen@Cult Labs 30th November 2014 09:23 PM

88 Films Upcoming releases

Just a heads up for everyone. The 88 Films blu-ray and dvd of The Toxic Avenger Part II contains the Japanese cut of the movie, which is longer than the unrated US director's cut.

J Harker 30th November 2014 10:01 PM

As the main feature Stephen?

Stephen@Cult Labs 30th November 2014 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 427106)
As the main feature Stephen?

It sure is. :)

fuzzymctiger 1st December 2014 12:28 AM

Japanese cut as in the Directors cut?

The Directors cut runtime is the same as the blu ray and is the Unrated version with the extra 10 minutes.

I got confused because the Japanese cut on the last Toxic Avenger blu ray was a tape master with Japanese intro and actual Japanese burnt in subs.

Stephen@Cult Labs 1st December 2014 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 427127)
Japanese cut as in the Directors cut?

The Directors cut runtime is the same as the blu ray and is the Unrated version with the extra 10 minutes.

I got confused because the Japanese cut on the last Toxic Avenger blu ray was a tape master with Japanese intro and actual Japanese burnt in subs.

Yeah that's it. With the extra 10mins, including the japanese radio station scene. Had to say japanese cut since the original US director's cut was shorter.

fuzzymctiger 1st December 2014 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 427128)
Yeah that's it. With the extra 10mins, including the japanese radio station scene. Had to say japanese cut since the original US director's cut was shorter.

Really? I didn't know the directors cut label was on the shorter version!

Looking at movie-censorship, it's fair to say the short versions loses fairly much everything

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st December 2014 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 427128)

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the version on the DVD (which I bought from 88 Films at Manchester) as well.

Stephen@Cult Labs 1st December 2014 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 427129)
Really? I didn't know the directors cut label was on the shorter version!

Looking at movie-censorship, it's fair to say the short versions loses fairly much everything

If memory serves, the dvd in the Toxic Avenger collection was the US unrated cut (labelled as the DC, probably wrongly), missing the extra footage from the DC here.