Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree16553Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th April 2015, 03:49 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I read this comment the other day and like Boo thought it an unnecessary put down.
Sam and Boo Radley like this.
Old 11th April 2015, 03:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I still think that putting Deep River Savages out is a wasted opportunity when there's other great classics out there like Absurd and Beyond The Darkness. And both would probably sail through the BBFC nowadays.
Old 11th April 2015, 04:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Blade View Post
I still think that putting Deep River Savages out is a wasted opportunity when there's other great classics out there like Absurd and Beyond The Darkness. And both would probably sail through the BBFC nowadays.
I agree! Especially when it will be coming out uncut from Raro soon enough.
Crimson Blade likes this.
Old 11th April 2015, 04:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
I agree! Especially when it will be coming out uncut from Raro soon enough.
And that's why i'll be buying the Raro release and not 88's 'most probably' cut version.
Not condoning the animal violence at all, but i'll always buy the uncut version if one is available.
Old 11th April 2015, 04:15 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
Looking through 88's Facebook page there is a facetious and un-necessary comment from them to a chap who asked if Deep River Savages was going to be uncut before he spent his hard earned on it. To wit; "If you need the animal cruelty then, yes, Man from Deep River won't be for you." 3 April.

It is not about "needing" to see the animal violence at all, it is about seeing the directors integral vision of their film the way they wanted it to be seen at the time it was made. Not cut to pieces 30 years later because attitudes have changed in the interim. If they had said that due to UK law the animal scenes were now not permissible, that answer would be better than trying to make a potential customer feel like they are a sick animal killing voyeur.

The comment is alienating and insinuating, crass, juvenile and used as an attacking defence, a tactic well below a company who should really know better. It's like saying they will cut the baby eating scene from Anthropophagus and release it cut because, "If you need to see a foetus being ripped from the womb and eaten, then Anthro is not for you."

C'mon guys, shape up, as 88 feel it necessary to put "uncut and uncensored" on the sleeves of their releases are they now going to state, "Cut to ribbons."?
The difference being the material in ANTHRO is special effects and the use of live animals, and their abuse/ slaughter, is genuine?

We were not at all being "alienating and insinuating, crass, juvenile" (and comments like this make us wonder why we bother) by stating, quite correctly, that this material alienates many viewers and comfirming that those who do wish to see it should, and will have to, look elsewhere. As for the director's 'integral vision' - a film goes through editors, producers and distributors before it ever sees the light of day. Lenzi regrets these sequences and many of the cast and crew of these films wish they were not in there. What is the 'integral vision'? Hard to know. Try asking George Lucas

Evil comes in all sizes!
www.88films.co.uk
Old 11th April 2015, 04:33 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Blade View Post
And that's why i'll be buying the Raro release and not 88's 'most probably' cut version.
Not condoning the animal violence at all, but i'll always buy the uncut version if one is available.
We totally respect that and all we were trying to do was affirm that our release cannot contain some of the animal sequences because of the mandatory BBFC approval. Thanks!

Evil comes in all sizes!
www.88films.co.uk
Old 11th April 2015, 04:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 Films View Post
We totally respect that and all we were trying to do was affirm that our release cannot contain some of the animal sequences because of the mandatory BBFC approval. Thanks!
Fair enough. But like i said, there's loads of other great italian horrors you could have chosen instead of Deep River Savages. And until there's a change of BBFC policy, i don't see the point of releasing these titles when they're readily available uncut throughout the rest of europe and America. I appreciate that some people don't want the animal violence, but at the end of the day these are niche titles which most collectors want uncut.
Old 11th April 2015, 05:29 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 Films View Post
The difference being the material in ANTHRO is special effects and the use of live animals, and their abuse/ slaughter, is genuine?

We were not at all being "alienating and insinuating, crass, juvenile" (and comments like this make us wonder why we bother) by stating, quite correctly, that this material alienates many viewers and comfirming that those who do wish to see it should, and will have to, look elsewhere. As for the director's 'integral vision' - a film goes through editors, producers and distributors before it ever sees the light of day. Lenzi regrets these sequences and many of the cast and crew of these films wish they were not in there. What is the 'integral vision'? Hard to know. Try asking George Lucas
So the pigs slaughter in Slaughterhouse is not genuine then?

You did alienate a chap by replying and insinuating that he "needed" to see the animal violence to enjoy the movie. In doing so it was a crass attempt to make him out to be a degenerate who got enjoyment from animals suffering. That indeed is a juvenile argument deflection at best. But....perhaps I miss-interpreted your reply being a touchy bugger, myself.

As for the directors integral vision, the film had been through editors, producers and distributors to be the version that most of us have seen already.

I appreciate you might perceive that I'm having a go at you but I applaud your efforts and wish you all the best, I have some and will buy the rest of your Slasher and Italian ranges (and Post Apocalypse....??) including the Man From Deep River but Crimson Blade summed it up perfectly for me, why put out cut material- and stuff you know will never pass the BBFC - when there is a wealth of other options? Cough-Absurd-Cough!

Apologies if I make you wonder why you bother.
Old 11th April 2015, 05:35 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

That was a very measured response Boo. Did you start the valium early tonight?
Old 11th April 2015, 05:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

To be honest I didn't expect a response from 88 themselves....

Like this? Share it using the links below!