Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The 88 Films Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/11297-88-films-thread.html)

Kid Fist 22nd April 2015 05:58 PM

88 Films, What Gives?

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasterface (Post 445270)
Boy this kicked things off on facebook if that aint a criticism of arrow I dont know what is, i'll miss the quality of their extras

Does anyone know what the hell is going on here? The High Rising post was pulled after a few hours claiming that everyone had got the wrong end of the stick and today 88 posted this on Twitter:

@88_Films: STATEMENT IN REGARDS TO RECENT CONFUSION

Some of you might have read the comments by one of our former partners...

Needless to say that by the time I'd clicked the link it was dead. Is there some in fighting going on here?

JAMIOUSE 22nd April 2015 06:24 PM

I don't know whats going on but it's odd that 88's post from this morning has been deleted. I posted a response to 88 when it appeared on FaceBook this morning, then an hour later it was gone.

Calum Waddel isn't everyones favourite person, personally I'm indifferent towards him and High Rising. Some of the extras they produced were very good a lot of their earlier work had titles that seemed to go on forever though. From what I understand Calum has helped 88 secure a fair few of the upcoming Slasher and Italian titles.

I think the whole problem stems from Calums post on Saturday were he maybe got a few things off his chest, like hinting that Arrow had no interest in slasher films before 88's releases started to be noticed and making money. That said Arrow have moved away from what they originally started releasing back in the day, yes they still put out Bava titles but they have tried to go more up market with European arthouse etc.

It's an odd situation but 88 have an excellent roster of titles coming out including many wanted releases like Zombi 3.

JAMIOUSE 22nd April 2015 06:55 PM

I personally find it a bit odd to boycott a whole label because you don't like someone they employ or does freelance work for them. I know from here and Lovelock that Calum has pissed off a lot of cult film fans over the years but that's not a reason to boycott a whole label. But there you go...

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd April 2015 06:56 PM

AMERICAN NINJA sturdy box shipped!:thankingyou:

Mojo 22nd April 2015 07:02 PM

I've no idea what is going on, but Arrow and 88 films are by far my two favourite labels at the moment. There's room for both - so I hope it all gets sorted out. :peace:

plasterface 22nd April 2015 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid Fist (Post 446195)
Does anyone know what the hell is going on here? The High Rising post was pulled after a few hours claiming that everyone had got the wrong end of the stick and today 88 posted this on Twitter:

@88_Films: STATEMENT IN REGARDS TO RECENT CONFUSION

Some of you might have read the comments by one of our former partners...

Needless to say that by the time I'd clicked the link it was dead. Is there some in fighting going on here?

OK here's my view on things I could be wrong. Dr Waddell seemed to be dining on sour grapes . He seemed annoyed pesky old Arrow had'nt heeded his film recommendations how very dare they. I dunno maybe at the time arrow was knee deep in negotiations with mgm at the time or pursuing other things but he aint the head of arrow so they can do what they like. Secondly it seemed he was saying oh arrow only want horror titles now that 88 have been doing well with em, which does'nt hold weight with me as arrow has always had their dirty fingers in the horror pie. They now bring out a wider range genres but are still bringing out new horror titles. And its a free market two quality labels bringing out similar films is a win /win for the fans. I think the doctor may sadly a victim of his own ego, i remember him sulking about empire's review for his robocop book but forgetting to say he was author. Egotism seems to an ailment quite a few british cult film critics/experts suffer from, to be paid to write about films you love and meet your heroes . They should count themselves lucky. Anyhoo the original post disapeared as people apparently misread it and he was'nt trying to start a label war. Things seemed to get a bit nasty on facebook as not everyone is as nice as us labbers. anyway thts my tuppence worth :cowboy:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 22nd April 2015 08:52 PM

Here's the full statement for those who are curious:

Quote:

STATEMENT IN REGARDS TO RECENT CONFUSION
Some of you might have read the comments by one of our former partners at High Rising Productions on their Facebook page. These comments have been pulled down down but they seem to have been interpreted in all sorts of wild ways.
Firstly, those comments were not sanctioned by us and were not pre-approved or anything like that at all. The first we knew about them was when people started tweeting about them.
Secondly, we are not packing up, folding, winding down or anything of the like. It is true that the guys at High Rising have helped us out with numerous aspects of our business over the last 9 month but we were an established business before they came along and we will continue now that relationship has ended.
Thirdly, we apologise that all this dirty linen has been aired in public, these were private issues and they should have remained chart way. The only result was that they would have caused confusion, worry and would damage our reputation that we have worked very hard to build….. and look what happened!
Fourthly, a few people are contacting us about the whereabouts of the American Ninja set with the slipcase. This was supposed to be in stock last week but our manufacturer are very slow at the moment as they have taken on a load of extra work and this has affected turnaround times. We have been assured that they will be with us TODAY though. The three of us here will be very busy packing all of your orders this afternoon and we will endeavour to get as many as possible out to you today.
I have no idea why 88 took it down though. It all seems a little odd.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 22nd April 2015 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 446228)
Here's the full statement for those who are curious:

I have no idea why 88 took it down though. It all seems a little odd.

Well, when I was typing this they answered my question for me:

Quote:

We just decided it didn't need to be there for long. And already there was some misinterpretation and assuming we were not getting along with people and so on and so forth. So, phew, we're done with commenting on anything!

To All A Goodnight - there's some rights issues going on. We will keep everyone posted.

Sorry about this - on the plus side, American Ninja is shipping now and we're really proud of it. We know High Rising is thrilled that one of the last documentaries they were involved in also happens to be one as strong as this!

Calum 23rd April 2015 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE (Post 446197)
I don't know whats going on but it's odd that 88's post from this morning has been deleted. I posted a response to 88 when it appeared on FaceBook this morning, then an hour later it was gone.

Calum Waddel isn't everyones favourite person, personally I'm indifferent towards him and High Rising. Some of the extras they produced were very good a lot of their earlier work had titles that seemed to go on forever though. From what I understand Calum has helped 88 secure a fair few of the upcoming Slasher and Italian titles.

I think the whole problem stems from Calums post on Saturday were he maybe got a few things off his chest, like hinting that Arrow had no interest in slasher films before 88's releases started to be noticed and making money. That said Arrow have moved away from what they originally started releasing back in the day, yes they still put out Bava titles but they have tried to go more up market with European arthouse etc.

It's an odd situation but 88 have an excellent roster of titles coming out including many wanted releases like Zombi 3.

I don't try and polarise people deliberately!

Calum 23rd April 2015 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasterface (Post 446226)
OK here's my view on things I could be wrong. Dr Waddell seemed to be dining on sour grapes . He seemed annoyed pesky old Arrow had'nt heeded his film recommendations how very dare they. I dunno maybe at the time arrow was knee deep in negotiations with mgm at the time or pursuing other things but he aint the head of arrow so they can do what they like. Secondly it seemed he was saying oh arrow only want horror titles now that 88 have been doing well with em, which does'nt hold weight with me as arrow has always had their dirty fingers in the horror pie. They now bring out a wider range genres but are still bringing out new horror titles. And its a free market two quality labels bringing out similar films is a win /win for the fans. I think the doctor may sadly a victim of his own ego, i remember him sulking about empire's review for his robocop book but forgetting to say he was author. Egotism seems to an ailment quite a few british cult film critics/experts suffer from, to be paid to write about films you love and meet your heroes . They should count themselves lucky. Anyhoo the original post disapeared as people apparently misread it and he was'nt trying to start a label war. Things seemed to get a bit nasty on facebook as not everyone is as nice as us labbers. anyway thts my tuppence worth :cowboy:

Get a grip. It is comments like this that make me glad to be leaving this behind.