LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th May 2015, 07:36 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Still being dvd only this may well seem like a dumb question to many of you.

However, when a film has scanner noise and compression artifacts surely they are still a big step up from the dvd version or are they?

Yes they are, but apparently everyone now expects absolute perfection when it comes to their blu-rays. In an ideal world, money would be no object and companies like 88 could do new tranfers of all these films, but it's not an ideal world. I think people are being far too critical here (and over at blurage.com).
Old 26th May 2015, 07:46 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Yes they are, but apparently everyone now expects absolute perfection when it comes to their blu-rays. In an ideal world, money would be no object and companies like 88 could do new tranfers of all these films, but it's not an ideal world. I think people are being far too critical here (and over at blurage.com).
Hahaha blurage.com

I got your point Stephen but really, those A Blade in the Dark screens look absolutely horrible. They should release it on DVD only.
Steel76 likes this.
Old 26th May 2015, 07:52 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Just because some people accept mediocre transfers, doesn't mean we all should just close our eyes for transfers that have major flaws, like scanner noise.
That scanner noise puts a fuzzy layer on top of the image, blocking out the fine details we come to expect from a 35mm transfer.

Blu-Ray is still an enthusiast format, compared to DVD.

If we didn´t point out flaws, then we wouldn't have gotten the improved transfers of movies like "Tenebre", "Demons", "Zombie" etc.
And thanks to our complaints, we also got an improved transfer of "The Beyond" from Arrow, with corrected colors and contrast.

Why should we just shut up and accept the flaws??
Old 26th May 2015, 07:52 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropophagus View Post
Hahaha blurage.com

I got your point Stephen but really, those A Blade in the Dark screens look absolutely horrible. They should release it on DVD only.

Nah, it's not like it's as bad as Moontrap (which admittedly was crap and was only good enough for a dvd).
Old 26th May 2015, 07:55 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I agree with that. Moontrap was a milestone when it comes to crappy transfers

At least "Blade in the Dark" doesn't reach the scanner noise levels of the first "Tenebre" transfer from Arrow.
The horror!!
Old 26th May 2015, 07:56 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Nah, it's not like it's as bad as Moontrap (which admittedly was crap and was only good enough for a dvd).
All I can do is wait for reviews at this point. Absolutely no pre-orders.
Steel76 likes this.
Old 26th May 2015, 07:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

People on blurage do seem to be a bit overly critical it has to said. 88 are doing good work and working with what they are given, Bloostained looks fine in the previously posted screen grabs. Screengrabs are both a blessing and a curse, someone pointed out macro blocking on Slaughterhouse but when watching it I didn't notice any such thing.

Blade is in all probability a work in progress, it isn't out until July afterall. Holocaust I'm sure will be fine, the images they've posted previously looked very good indeed. The ones from last week not so good but that could be down to how the images were captured etc.
Spasmo will be an interesting release, Scorpion have put two versions on their disc so customers can make their own choice one is grainy and the other DVNR'd.
Anthro is a slight concern as I too pre-ordered it when it was announced, the old Shreik Show edition looked great maybe the screen caps from last week are not truely representive of the final product, to me they look too magentary which having worked with copiers for the past fourteen years you sort out by reducing the magenta tones. Maybe the screen grabs were taken before grading took place which I believe is vitally important in HD restorations.

Maybe we should all wait until Anthro pops through our letterboxes before condeming 88 or wait until reviews appear online?
vipco likes this.
Old 26th May 2015, 07:58 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropophagus View Post
All I can do is wait for reviews at this point. Absolutely no pre-orders.
Yeah, I will wait and see as well.
If the scanner noise, in motion, is mild, like in "New York Ripper" and "The Beyond", then I might upgrade. But if the noise goes berserk, then I´ll just keep my DVD.
Old 26th May 2015, 08:00 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
Just because you accept mediocre transfers, doesn't mean we all should just close our eyes for transfers that have major flaws, like scanner noise.

That scanner noise puts a fuzzy layer on top of the image, blocking out the fine details we come to expect from a 35mm transfer.

Blu-Ray is still an enthusiast format, compared to DVD.

If we didn´t point out flaws, then we wouldn't have gotten the improved transfers of movies like "Tenebre", "Demons", "Zombie" etc.

And thanks to our complaints, we also got an improved transfer of "The Beyond" from Arrow, with corrected colors and contrast.

Why should we just shut up and accept the flaws??

There's enthusiast......and there's completely off your rocker loon (obviously not saying you're a loon). Sure, I suppose they could do a kickstarter for every single blu they release, but we could be waiting ages for every one of them. Look, I don't want to get into another arguement on this subject. You're all unhappy (up in arms) at some screenshots, and that's your choice, just like it's mine to not be as bothered.
Old 26th May 2015, 08:03 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE View Post
People on blurage do seem to be a bit overly critical it has to said. 88 are doing good work and working with what they are given, Bloostained looks fine in the previously posted screen grabs. Screengrabs are both a blessing and a curse, someone pointed out macro blocking on Slaughterhouse but when watching it I didn't notice any such thing.

Blade is in all probability a work in progress, it isn't out until July afterall. Holocaust I'm sure will be fine, the images they've posted previously looked very good indeed. The ones from last week not so good but that could be down to how the images were captured etc.

Spasmo will be an interesting release, Scorpion have put two versions on their disc so customers can make their own choice one is grainy and the other DVNR'd.

Anthro is a slight concern as I too pre-ordered it when it was announced, the old Shreik Show edition looked great maybe the screen caps from last week are not truely representive of the final product, to me they look too magentary which having worked with copiers for the past fourteen years you sort out by reducing the magenta tones. Maybe the screen grabs were taken before grading took place which I believe is vitally important in HD restorations.

Maybe we should all wait until Anthro pops through our letterboxes before condeming 88 or wait until reviews appear online?

And that's what I find incredible, that's exactly what everyone seems to be doing, condeming them. I can see people now, getting out their pitchforks like villagers going after the evil monster.

Like this? Share it using the links below!