LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th December 2015, 09:41 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Predator is a real unfortunate film in my opinion. In some ways it looks better on vhs.

The crazy thing is that people went apeshit over the original blu-ray, which retained the very grainy look of the original cheap film stock, and Fox went a complete 180 with the special edition and turned it into a reject from Madame Tussaudes.
Old 13th December 2015, 09:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
The crazy thing is that people went apeshit over the original blu-ray, which retained the very grainy look of the original cheap film stock, and Fox went a complete 180 with the special edition and turned it into a reject from Madame Tussaudes.
I think that's when people were confused as to what Blu-Ray was offering. DVD sold itself as having a clear picture (as opposed to VHS digital noise). When Blu-Ray popped up, people were expecting the same thing, only cleaner and better. It's just that Blu-Ray was more about capturing film in the truest form possible. Thankfully, people have awoken to that today.

I just stuck with the original Predator Blu-Ray. It lacks the extras but I still have the DVD. My only real gripe with the original Blu-Ray is that the colours are very drab. There's like a brownish tone to everything. Thankfully, the detail is there.
keirarts likes this.
Old 13th December 2015, 09:57 PM
Cult Addict

I'm not big on grain myself, but the Ultimate Hunter Edition does go too far, i don't personally think its as bad as many say but there are times when the characters look like CGI. The first 15 mins or so are the worst.
Old 13th December 2015, 11:08 PM
Cult Addict

Where are people complaining about Zombie 3?

I stuck it on and thought it looked f***** ace. Possibly one of the best looking of their Italian Line.
Italian films of the late 80's and 90's all looked soft focus. I enjoy the films from this era, check out Sodoma's ghost, touch of death... all soft looking. For me the Blu-ray really does represent 88's best efforts. I checked on Amazon and no one there seems to be unhappy.
Perhaps it's Blu-rage? ? (copyright stephen) If so those fellas are never happy.
Old 13th December 2015, 11:13 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Where are people complaining about Zombie 3?

I stuck it on and thought it looked f***** ace. Possibly one of the best looking of their Italian Line.

Italian films of the late 80's and 90's all looked soft focus. I enjoy the films from this era, check out Sodoma's ghost, touch of death... all soft looking. For me the Blu-ray really does represent 88's best efforts. I checked on Amazon and no one there seems to be unhappy.

Perhaps it's Blu-rage? ? (copyright stephen) If so those fellas are never happy.

A couple of people here. And it's cool, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I just didn't think it looked as bad as people thought. The "blu-rage" people actually thought it looked ok (surprising, I know!).
Old 13th December 2015, 11:24 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
A couple of people here. And it's cool, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I just didn't think it looked as bad as people thought. The "blu-rage" people actually thought it looked ok (surprising, I know!).
More genuinely surprised, I've seen this film more times than is healthy for a human being, I still have the Shriek show DVD purely for the commentary. The 88 release really makes it look as good as its going to get. The later era stuff should always look better than stuff from the 70's onwards. Even Vipco's releases looked decent and they stuck out whatever was handed to them.
Gold6082 likes this.
Old 14th December 2015, 04:52 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

And 88 have just announced that they'll be releasing blu-rays of Trancers III and Puppet Master 4 & 5

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450115542.044119.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1450115554.113731.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1450115563.646424.jpg
Old 14th December 2015, 05:03 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
And 88 have just announced that they'll be releasing blu-rays of Trancers III and Puppet Master 4 & 5

Attachment 173129Attachment 173130Attachment 173131
Very good news. Think I'll order them direct to show there's a market. Hopefully we'll get all the puppet master titles eventually...
Old 14th December 2015, 05:06 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Attachment 173129Attachment 173130Attachment 173131
Excellent news!
Old 14th December 2015, 06:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I think it was Camera Obscura who said the other year when they first started releasing titles on blu that a lot of Italian films look better in SD than they ever will in HD. For a HD master to look amazing there are a lot of things that need to be right, the negative has to be in decent order to begin with, but if the actual film was shot with bad lighting and on grainy stock it's never going to look fantastic. Unless of course people prefer a DNR'd look and boosting.

Like this? Share it using the links below!