Like Tree16553Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st January 2017, 07:33 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
I was annoyed to begin with, as I try to avoid buying censored films, but I calmed down after a while.
Maybe you could insert those grabs i took from the Shriek Show dvd into the 88 version, Doctor Who telesnap style.
Old 21st January 2017, 07:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Yeah, unfortunately they needed to cut it, but you're right, there was nothing to It. I was just talking to Calum there after seeing it and saying the same thing. If it wasn't for that law, the BBFC wouldn't bat an eyelid to it. Just seems strange that they left that last part in .
Talking about censorship of animal violence, I watched The Lost World on TV this afternoon and in it there is a scene of a water monitor lizard fighting a crocodile, why would this be allowed by the beloved BBFC but two hens pecking each other isn't?
mark meakin and Steel76 like this.
Old 22nd January 2017, 10:40 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
Talking about censorship of animal violence, I watched The Lost World on TV this afternoon and in it there is a scene of a water monitor lizard fighting a crocodile, why would this be allowed by the beloved BBFC but two hens pecking each other isn't?

Yes rather hypocritical as the fight is clearly staged for the film yet it passed uncut for the 101 Films Blu-ray/dvd release.The footage was also used in either Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea (Series) or Land Of The Giants.As it's Irwin Allen it could've been recycled in both !.I have the passable German dvd of One Million B.C (1940) "Tumak - Der Herr des Urwalds" & that also has quite a bit of lizard cruelty.
Old 22nd January 2017, 11:23 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark meakin View Post
Yes rather hypocritical as the fight is clearly staged for the film yet it passed uncut for the 101 Films Blu-ray/dvd release.The footage was also used in either Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea (Series) or Land Of The Giants.As it's Irwin Allen it could've been recycled in both !.I have the passable German dvd of One Million B.C (1940) & that also has quite a bit of lizard cruelty.
It's things like this that annoy me, not that there is a law on animal cruelty but the way it is interpreted and I'm not just talking about the very dubious "slaughter vs torture" bollocks they try and justify some animal violence with. Either there is a law stating all animal violence should be cut or there is not.

You cannot see horse trip falls in many westerns like The Long Riders but you can watch horse racing on TV where horses regularly break legs jumping over fences. You cannot watch 2 hens pecking at each other but can watch a crocodile and water monitor rip shreds out of each other, be anaesthetised and thrown over a cliff. You cannot see a crocodile slaughtered by natives in Man From Deep River but it's okay to watch a water buffalo beheaded in Apocalypse Now. The Adventures of Milo and Otis killed around 20 kittens, injured more and was accused of mass cruelty to other animals but, hey, it's narrated by Dudley Moore so that's okay, too.

There are many other discrepancies in hundreds of films but there is absolutely no consistency in the way the BBFC apply these so called laws making a mockery of the whole process and proving that the laws the BBFC are guided by are a shambles and not fit for purpose. And before people start jumping on their moral high horse and saying ridiculous things like, "I don't need to see animal violence to enjoy a film," and accusing those that do not advocate censorship in the arts as being deviates who masturbate furiously over turtle decapitations, they are missing the point entirely or being deliberately obtuse. The whole point is the "laws" (I say that very loosely...) are open to the interpretation of the examiners and we all can cite very many stupendous acts of stupidity they have enforced over the last 30 odd years with no accountability for their decisions.
Old 26th January 2017, 06:30 PM
Cult Acolyte

Just watched 88's Burial Ground, really enjoyed the BD, of course it stomps my old censored UK VHS (missing all the gore) and a nice upgrade from Vipco's DVD, the scenes in daylight look nice & crisp with a good level of detail for a cheap as chips Italian shlock-fest, although one of the zombies doesn't make the transition to HD too well (he seems to be a guy with purple paint on his face and hair surrounded by nice full make-up living dead zombies) another winner from 88 Films.

as this is in HMV's 3 for £20 or 5 for £30, go grab it.
Old 27th January 2017, 12:22 AM
Cultist

Is it just the cock fighting cut from it then?
Old 27th January 2017, 07:16 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakie79 View Post
Is it just the cock fighting cut from it then?
Yes - 13 seconds of it if I recall correctly.
Old 27th January 2017, 08:51 AM
Cult Veteran

You absolutely cannot even tell, you see the birds in a long shot, you see the character's faces and hear squawks in the soundtrack, then you see the birds again being lifted away from the ring.

It's not like the old days when they censored something by literally cutting the tape and splicing it back together again.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 27th January 2017, 04:27 PM
Cult Master

"Just a note to say that the Absurd, Beyond the Darkness, Aenigma and Massacre in Dinosaur Valley BLU-RAYS are now in stock and shipping exclusively from our webshop, these won't be available anywhere else until February for the first 2 and March for the second 2."

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 28th January 2017, 03:03 PM
Cultist

So all the predatory lesbian scenes are intact....nice.

Like this? Share it using the links below!