Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The 88 Films Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/11297-88-films-thread.html)

Rik 10th July 2015 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 456226)
Amazon are just playing catchup. 88 posted the new dates for both on Facebook 3 weeks ago.

I saw that, thought the dates had changed again

Stephen@Cult Labs 10th July 2015 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 456227)
I saw that, thought the dates had changed again

Nov 2nd for Splatter U, and December 7th for Burial Ground. :)

SharonLynette 10th July 2015 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 456184)
I was hoping they would both come today, but Zombi Holocaust must have been slightly delayed in the mail, so will probably come tomorrow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DayzeUK (Post 456223)
Both mine were in the same parcel, hope this doesnt mean they made a mistake with your order.

I also received Anthropophagous on its own but no Zombi Holocaust....not sure when to become worried! Has everyone received a despatch note for ZH?

Stephen@Cult Labs 10th July 2015 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 456241)
I also received Anthropophagous on its own but no Zombi Holocaust....not sure when to become worried! Has everyone received a despatch note for ZH?

Don't think anyone has received an email about ZH, since it was was an Indiegogo title.

Boo Radley 11th July 2015 07:48 AM

Got Anthro and Zombi Holocaust with slipcovers this morning. Very happy camper. I forgot I ordered two Zombi Holocausts so it was a surprise.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th July 2015 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boo Radley (Post 456253)
Got Anthro and Zombi Holocaust with slipcovers this morning. Very happy camper. I forgot I ordered two Zombi Holocausts so it was a surprise.

Blimey! I wish my mail came so early.

platostotal 11th July 2015 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 456255)
Blimey! I wish my mail came so early.

Ha Ha, you and me both, long gone are the days of morning post for me, around 2:30pm -5pm these days, posty does at least one or two rounds before he gets to us.

Stephen@Cult Labs 11th July 2015 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 456265)
Ha Ha, you and me both, long gone are the days of morning post for me, around 2:30pm -5pm these days, posty does at least one or two rounds before he gets to us.

Mine is almost always between 9-10am. Can't imagine getting my post in the afternoon.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th July 2015 11:10 AM

Quote:

Mine normally comes between 12-1pm – it used to arrive about 8am before they did away with the second post.

Susan Foreman 11th July 2015 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 456268)
Mine normally comes between 12-1pm – it used to arrive about 8am before they did away with the second post.

Looking at those timings, maybe they actually did away with the first post!

J Harker 11th July 2015 12:37 PM

Our post comes literally anywhere between 8am and 2pm.

Prince_Vajda 11th July 2015 12:37 PM

Quote:

Same here. I guess I'll never get used to it.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th July 2015 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 456274)
Looking at those timings, maybe they actually did away with the first post!

That was what we joked at the time!

Sadly, no Zombi Holocaust today, so this evening will be mostly devoted to Anthropophagous and 42nd Street Memories: The Rise and Fall of Americas Most Notorious Block.

Stephen@Cult Labs 11th July 2015 06:31 PM

The 88 Films Thread

1 Attachment(s)
Picked this up in Asda earlier today. You may scoff, but titles like this (and Pro Zombies vs Wrestlers) outsell other stuff 88 releases, due to the fact that places like Asda, Tesco & Sainsbury's stock them.

Attachment 167433

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th July 2015 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 456306)
Picked this up in Asda earlier today. You may scoff, but titles like this (and Pro Zombies vs Wrestlers) outsell other stuff 88 releases, due to the fact that places like Asda, Tesco & Sainsbury's stock them.

Attachment 167433

It's cheap and cheesy, but I'd be lying if I said I was bored and will never watch it again.

I need to pick up Pro Zombies vs Wrestlers because, even though I have no knowledge about, or interest in, wrestling, I still want to watch it.

Stephen@Cult Labs 11th July 2015 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 456315)
It's cheap and cheesy, but I'd be lying if I said I was bored and will never watch it again.

I need to pick up Pro Zombies vs Wrestlers because, even though I have no knowledge about, or interest in, wrestling, I still want to watch it.

I know they've done the artwork to catch the eye of the shopper, but i kinda liked the original poster.

Attachment 167437

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th July 2015 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 456318)
I know they've done the artwork to catch the eye of the shopper, but i kinda liked the original poster.

Attachment 167437

Definitely.

Is it a bit soon to ask if the film is any good?

It looks pretty cool to me.

DayzeUK 11th July 2015 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 456315)

Pro Zombies vs Wrestlers is £6.26 inc postage from Amazon, or £5 if you spend enough to qualify for free postage.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th July 2015 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DayzeUK (Post 456321)
Pro Zombies vs Wrestlers is £6.26 inc postage from Amazon, or £5 if you spend enough to qualify for free postage.

That's worth keeping in mind – thanks.

JAMIOUSE 11th July 2015 11:25 PM

So what does Anthro and Holocaust look like? I'm away from home for a few days so I won't get chance to check mine out.

fuzzymctiger 11th July 2015 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE (Post 456358)
So what does Anthro and Holocaust look like? I'm away from home for a few days so I won't get chance to check mine out.

User comments from blu-ray.com, the first being all from one person, the second being all from another

Anthropophagus

"First word that comes to mind when I see the picture quality at first glance is smooth (As in LVR labs DNR). The English and Italian tracks sound solid I wouldn't say they are great."
"... a very problematic transfer. Not much detail, barely any grain and there seems to be a light cover of noise over the image. Colours also fluctuate to a green colour regularly."
"... the only grain I saw was in some interior scenes. The transfer as a whole reminds me of some of Arrow Video's early Italian releases.

Zombi Holocaust

"If you like grain you'll love this!"
"To be honest I'm a little disappointed with Zombi Holocaust. Remember that first screen shot with the zombie in front of the trees? It doesn't look like that. Now remember the grab showing outside the hospital? That is pretty much exactly what it looks like to me."
"Well, it basically shows what is there. Warts & all. There are instances of print damage / scratches as well. I know it wasn't a complete remaster, just a new scan."

keirarts 12th July 2015 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 456359)
User comments from blu-ray.com, the first being all from one person, the second being all from another

Anthropophagus

"First word that comes to mind when I see the picture quality at first glance is smooth (As in LVR labs DNR). The English and Italian tracks sound solid I wouldn't say they are great."
"... a very problematic transfer. Not much detail, barely any grain and there seems to be a light cover of noise over the image. Colours also fluctuate to a green colour regularly."
"... the only grain I saw was in some interior scenes. The transfer as a whole reminds me of some of Arrow Video's early Italian releases.

Zombi Holocaust

"If you like grain you'll love this!"
"To be honest I'm a little disappointed with Zombi Holocaust. Remember that first screen shot with the zombie in front of the trees? It doesn't look like that. Now remember the grab showing outside the hospital? That is pretty much exactly what it looks like to me."
"Well, it basically shows what is there. Warts & all. There are instances of print damage / scratches as well. I know it wasn't a complete remaster, just a new scan."

Would agree.

However, Anthro still looks better than the DVD release. Also I would add the same defence that I did with Arrow. Blame the italians. 88's budget stretches only so far and it would be nice if the Italian labs could treat these films with a little respect.
Zombie Holocaust is an excellent job considering some of the horror stories i've heard about the original materials

I'm happy with both, watched thr 42nd street doc after getting home from the new (mediocre) Terminator film and thoughoughly enjoyed it. Will be interested to see if another company tries to one up and splashes the cash to do a scan of Anthro themselves..

keirarts 12th July 2015 07:20 AM

Also wondering when Pooch JD will start calling for them to go out of business?

Antropophagus 12th July 2015 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 456364)
Would agree.

However, Anthro still looks better than the DVD release. Also I would add the same defence that I did with Arrow. Blame the italians. 88's budget stretches only so far and it would be nice if the Italian labs could treat these films with a little respect.
Zombie Holocaust is an excellent job considering some of the horror stories i've heard about the original materials

I'm happy with both, watched thr 42nd street doc after getting home from the new (mediocre) Terminator film and thoughoughly enjoyed it. Will be interested to see if another company tries to one up and splashes the cash to do a scan of Anthro themselves..

My only problem with this release is the very high price. I'll pay £7.49 for Zombie Holocaust after removing the VAT. Considering the quality of Anthro its price is not acceptable. But I am the one to blame for not cancelling my pre-order when I had the time. Lesson learnt well. No pre-orders from them ever again.

Andra Jai 12th July 2015 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antropophagus (Post 456366)
My only problem with this release is the very high price. I'll pay £7.49 for Zombie Holocaust after removing the VAT. Considering the quality of Anthro its price is not acceptable. But I am the one to blame for not cancelling my pre-order when I had the time. Lesson learnt well. No pre-orders from them ever again.

I was exactly the same with this release and in fact I cancelled my first pre-order but then talked myself into re-ordering the title.

Having watched it some parts of the transfer looked okay to me especially when in the darknend catacombs but overall certainly not a transfer to write home about.

In addition to this the complete lack of any extras relating to the film is also a major bummer (although the documentary is very good its has nothing to do with the film itself) and this release is badly lacking interviews and/or a documentary about its status as a nasty or even a written booklet may have helped.

Not to sound ungrateful but to me £22 for this one does seem a lot when compared to other releases of this type (although in saying that I one paid nearly 3 figures for the original video tape, however times have certainly changed since those days)

As for zombie holocaust I've not seen it yet but for £8.99 I'm not going to complain either way

keirarts 12th July 2015 10:58 AM

I think its going to depend on how expensive the titles was to acquire. Part of me wonders if its best that companies left the Italian titles alone given the expense in releasing them. Leave them to the German hardbox crowd and focus on American product.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th July 2015 11:37 AM

I'm perfectly happy with the way the film looks. I'm sure it could look much better, but it could also look a great deal worse (and has done). I didn't think it would be comparable to Ex Machina, Whiplash, Birdman etc, simply because of the source material, so for it to have so much detail and such clear sound easily meets my standards for a release like this.

With the BD also containing 42nd Street Memories, a documentary which could, like Slice and Dice, been released separately on DVD, the lack of any dedicated extra features is more than offset.

If Zombi Holocaust is in any way similar, with the release containing the Eaten Alive documentary as well, they will have different reasons to find their way into my PlayStation on a semi-regular basis. As such, I'm going to watch Anthropophagous again either tonight or tomorrow with the Italian track to give it an appraisal and see if my opinion of the visuals changes at all.

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th July 2015 02:18 PM

Even the Shriek Show 2 disc set only had archive public appearances and an alternative opening on it. The bulk of the second disc was a doc about D'Amato.

Perhaps nobody was interested in doing a chat track at all.

88 putting the feature length 42nd Street doc was a great idea and although i haven't seen it, it's probably better than Anthro itself - a film, if we are being honest is a bit overrated* due to it's status in the 80's.

*Overrated as in dull. ;)

DayzeUK 12th July 2015 03:02 PM

Just to be clear 88 Anthro has 42nd Street Doc, alternate opening, 3 alternate trailers, also plays a forced trailer for Zombi Holocaust when loading up.

bdc 12th July 2015 03:23 PM

To be honest I've never seen Anthro look good, possibly the original film stock / equipment used are to blame?

keirarts 12th July 2015 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 456391)
To be honest I've never seen Anthro look good, possibly the original film stock / equipment used are to blame?

Possibly, 16mm can look great (texas chainsaw) however i'm getting the strong indication there is a lot of low budget Italian cinema that was never properly stored and left to deteriorate combined with a half-assed approached to scanning the material using shitty equipment. At least some of the issues look like scanner problems.

Andra Jai 12th July 2015 04:37 PM

Despite the issues with the transfer, I'm still pleased to have the film in my collection, I just think it's perhaps a little overpriced but it's something I can live with, although if 6 months down the line it's released to HMV for £8.99 that will feel like a bit of a kick in the nuts.

I actually still think the film itself if pretty good and most of that is down to atmosphere and the sound is for sure a huge improvement over the dvd

The US Zombie Holocaust blu-ray was passable but not really up to much so I'm sure 88s will be an improvement on that one anyway

It does however make you wonder what Burial Ground will turn out like especially as they have already mentioned having some issues with the print

Crimson Blade 12th July 2015 04:54 PM

Think i'm going to wait until it goes on general release in 6 months time.
Love the film, but paying £22 is hard to justify.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 13th July 2015 02:50 PM

I received this reward from 88 Films' Zombi Holocaust Indiegogo campaign today:

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...psuezmac0l.jpg

DayzeUK 13th July 2015 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 456456)
I received this reward from 88 Films' Zombi Holocaust Indiegogo campaign today:

Nice!!!:cool:

Stephen@Cult Labs 13th July 2015 05:05 PM

Well, not only did it take 7 days for Anthro & Zombi Holocaust to arrive, but the package wouldn't fit through my letterbox. Ticket left for me to go and collect it. To say i'm annoyed is putting it mildly. [emoji36]

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th July 2015 06:05 PM

Wow!

Just been reading the 88 thread on Blu-Ray.com.

If anyone thinks we talk crap on here, head over there, it's like another world.

And i don't mean that in a good sense.

Stephen@Cult Labs 13th July 2015 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 456468)
Wow!

Just been reading the 88 thread on Blu-Ray.com.

If anyone thinks we talk crap on here, head over there, it's like another world.

And i don't mean that in a good sense.

Yep, that Bailey guy is having a rant about other companies to. Guess he woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

Stephen@Cult Labs 13th July 2015 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 456320)
Definitely.

Is it a bit soon to ask if the film is any good?

It looks pretty cool to me.

Hmmmmmm, I wouldn't say it's great. It's watchable. The T-rex makes the ones in the Dr Who story Invasion Of The Dinosaurs look like something from Jurassic Park.

Rik 13th July 2015 06:43 PM

I've been a member of BluRage.com ( copyright Stephen) for years and haven't posted once due to the amount of bullshit on there, yet I'm in the top 7 posters here, goes to show how friendly it is in the Labs!