Old 30th April 2017, 11:58 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default The 88 Films Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Perhaps a boycot of Italian titles until they start offering decent transfers. Its not as bad as it once was but if companies are being offered shitty transfers (and unless a company has connections and cash its often a case of buying them ready scanned) its release it like this or not at all.

As long as they don't look like some of Oliver Krekel swathed in dnr releases, i'm more than happy with 88's Italian releases. Sure, some aren't as good as others, but they're not bad. But if you think boycotting releases will help, knock yourself out.

I'm sure this'll get back to blurage.com where I'll no doubt be called an arse licking clueless follower (again) by the know-it-all's over there.

Last edited by Stephen@Cult Labs; 30th April 2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 30th April 2017, 12:18 PM
Cult Acolyte

I'm more than happy with 88's releases. If you want to see a really crappy looking blu ray, check out Dorado's bd of Night Of The Scorpion. Don't get me wrong -it's great to see lesser seen titles like this get a release, but in terms of picture quality 88 are miles ahead.
keirarts likes this.
Old 30th April 2017, 12:29 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I'm more than happy with 88's releases. If you want to see a really crappy looking blu ray, check out Dorado's bd of Night Of The Scorpion. Don't get me wrong -it's great to see lesser seen titles like this get a release, but in terms of picture quality 88 are miles ahead.
Oh dear. I have this on order!

Given the sh** quality of vhs boots I used to get its hard to complain.
Old 30th April 2017, 12:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Oh dear. I have this on order!

Given the sh** quality of vhs boots I used to get its hard to complain.
I'd still get it keirarts! It's a pretty enjoyable giallo and still very watchable in quality. Plus buying it hopefully encourages more obscure releases like this. They've got some interesting titles coming up which I plan to buy. The point I was really making was that I don't get the nitpicking of some blu ray releases. Or maybe I'm just easily pleased!
Old 30th April 2017, 06:18 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I'd still get it keirarts! It's a pretty enjoyable giallo and still very watchable in quality. Plus buying it hopefully encourages more obscure releases like this. They've got some interesting titles coming up which I plan to buy. The point I was really making was that I don't get the nitpicking of some blu ray releases. Or maybe I'm just easily pleased!
there are nitpicks i feel are irritating but at the end of the day the format is bluray and therefore if the jump in quality is not significant then there is no point. i'll wait for the online reviews before i call it but its looking like a non-purchase for me. hopefully someone will bag it for the US and make a better job of it.
keirarts likes this.
Old 30th April 2017, 08:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I remember watching bootlegs of stuff like Texas Chainsaw 2 and Nekromantik in the early 90's, and buying copies of House of Clocks and Sweet House of Horrors with itallian only dialogue on vhs, and the struggle to find anything resembling a "good copy" of so many giallo movies. Companies like 88 and Arrow are simply amazing for giving fans a chance to see some really obscure & difficult to get hold of titles, I mean Zombie Holocaust, Nightmare City, Aenigma, Zombie 3 on blu ray, with extras no less!

Be grateful for what we have. I remember when NONE of this was legally available and people were popping over to Holland to buy videos! A bit of grain, a soundtrack with a little background noise? Really don't care myself.

I am now married with a toddler, so I have virtually no time to watch movies, the days of marathoning all the Alien movies in one day when I was 17 are gone, but I still love movies and watch them when I can. Work and family come first, and movies are the thing i used to have time for, so when I pop on a blu ray of The Burbs and it looks like it was made yesterday, I think how lucky I am to have that choice.

If the sound and picture are the key factors in buying a dvd or blu, you will NEVER enjoy the movie itself. Relax and enjoy the film itself, don't worry too much about the transfer. Most are astounding, widescreen editions & look squeaky clean!

Just my two pence worth, but wanted to put it in perspective for anyone who doesn't remember how difficult it was to be a horror fan in the UK twenty years ago.
Old 30th April 2017, 09:01 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
I remember watching bootlegs of stuff like Texas Chainsaw 2 and Nekromantik in the early 90's, and buying copies of House of Clocks and Sweet House of Horrors with itallian only dialogue on vhs, and the struggle to find anything resembling a "good copy" of so many giallo movies. Companies like 88 and Arrow are simply amazing for giving fans a chance to see some really obscure & difficult to get hold of titles, I mean Zombie Holocaust, Nightmare City, Aenigma, Zombie 3 on blu ray, with extras no less!

Be grateful for what we have. I remember when NONE of this was legally available and people were popping over to Holland to buy videos! A bit of grain, a soundtrack with a little background noise? Really don't care myself.

I am now married with a toddler, so I have virtually no time to watch movies, the days of marathoning all the Alien movies in one day when I was 17 are gone, but I still love movies and watch them when I can. Work and family come first, and movies are the thing i used to have time for, so when I pop on a blu ray of The Burbs and it looks like it was made yesterday, I think how lucky I am to have that choice.

If the sound and picture are the key factors in buying a dvd or blu, you will NEVER enjoy the movie itself. Relax and enjoy the film itself, don't worry too much about the transfer. Most are astounding, widescreen editions & look squeaky clean!

Just my two pence worth, but wanted to put it in perspective for anyone who doesn't remember how difficult it was to be a horror fan in the UK twenty years ago.

I totally agree. It's like those who complain about the price of discs now and expect everthing, including loaded special editions to be £8.99 and refuse to even pay £14.99 for releases. Remember when dvds were £19.99 and the only "special features" on them were chapter selection?
Mojo, Rik, plasterface and 5 others like this.
Old 30th April 2017, 09:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I remember paying £100 for Robocop criterion laserdisc in CAV, and the same for the Elite Dawn of the Dead, £50 for Re Animator. I went in HMV the other day & Robocop 1-3 (uncut) are £10, and basket case 1-3 and Re Animator both loaded with special features are in the 5 for £30 basket! I have virtually no disposable income now & everything is avery expensive but dvds etc are seriously cheap compared to what they were! People are just ungrateful or don't know what it was like! Dumb and Dumber new on VHS? £13.99! Now it's 25p in cex with features & docs!
Old 30th April 2017, 09:15 PM
Cult Addict

I quite agree nostalgic and have posted much the same remarks myself in the past, although that post has been lost in time somewhere along the way.
These people obviously didn't live through the old days of cut to shreds,censored, 4:3 transfers with important info missing etc.
Blu ray perfection is what people expect nowadays, and although many old films were shot in widescreen etc, many films especially independent low budget B movies are never going to measure up to the modern kids expectations.
As long as it looks reasonable, is uncut and has decent subtitles/audio, then i'm a happy bunny.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 30th April 2017, 09:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Totally agree.
This isn't a dig at anyone, but the worst thing that blu ray has done is turned film lovers, both cult and mainstream, into snobs
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!