All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree16554Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th June 2017, 11:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasterface View Post
as much as I love Tiny Tim's first album, arrow and 88 would be wise to wash their hands of this film not only because of legal issues but because it's a pretty crap film.
Given the fact when I left Arrow they had shown little to no interest in films of this ilk, and given that I went to 88 and established the slasher line (which has been a very valuable lifeline to the company - fans really like it and respond as such) I would expect Arrow, who now have a huge staff number (many doing the thing I do for personal enjoyment at 88 in the occasional evening - i.e. buying up licenses) to always be after 88-ish titles. Indeed when we were in discussions on House on Sorority Row we were alerted that "another UK company" was also placing a bid. I might be wrong but I suspected right away it was the other label.
Old 6th June 2017, 10:01 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Given the fact when I left Arrow they had shown little to no interest in films of this ilk, and given that I went to 88 and established the slasher line (which has been a very valuable lifeline to the company - fans really like it and respond as such) I would expect Arrow, who now have a huge staff number (many doing the thing I do for personal enjoyment at 88 in the occasional evening - i.e. buying up licenses) to always be after 88-ish titles. Indeed when we were in discussions on House on Sorority Row we were alerted that "another UK company" was also placing a bid. I might be wrong but I suspected right away it was the other label.
well this isn't really a surprise is it? the two companies fish in the same waters so it stands to reason that sometimes they will be keen to get their mitts on the same films. nothing like a bit of competition - its helps guarantee a flow of product to the fans.
keirarts and fuzzymctiger like this.
Old 6th June 2017, 11:15 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
well this isn't really a surprise is it? the two companies fish in the same waters so it stands to reason that sometimes they will be keen to get their mitts on the same films. nothing like a bit of competition - its helps guarantee a flow of product to the fans.
I would argue Arrow only began to "fish in the same pond" after the success of 88. They employ numerous people now and that means they will always be able to untangle difficult situations - such as The Slayer. 88 is a two person operatoon and most of the big titles they have came via my contacts. I have an email to Arrow dated 2012 with the contact for House on Sorority Row/ Toolbox Murders/ Slaughterhouse Rock and more. An email from the same year on Slaughterhouse. Ditto for many other 88 titles that were ignored by Arrow. Not to sound arrogant but shows what they lost in me - I did not even want paid!!

I think with Arrow you are sure to see a concentration of 4k remasters of their back catalogue. Killer Klowns is up next.
Old 6th June 2017, 11:32 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
I would argue Arrow only began to "fish in the same pond" after the success of 88. They employ numerous people now and that means they will always be able to untangle difficult situations - such as The Slayer. 88 is a two person operatoon and most of the big titles they have came via my contacts. I have an email to Arrow dated 2012 with the contact for House on Sorority Row/ Toolbox Murders/ Slaughterhouse Rock and more. An email from the same year on Slaughterhouse. Ditto for many other 88 titles that were ignored by Arrow. Not to sound arrogant but shows what they lost in me - I did not even want paid!!

I think with Arrow you are sure to see a concentration of 4k remasters of their back catalogue. Killer Klowns is up next.
Killer Klowns eh? Interesting choice, I did notice it quietly seemed to slip out of print. Hopefully the audio is better this time

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 6th June 2017, 11:33 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
Hopefully the audio is better this time

Hopefully the film is better this time
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 6th June 2017, 11:37 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Hopefully the film is better this time
Killer Klowns is a masterpiece!!!!!!

opion.jpg
Old 6th June 2017, 11:50 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I would argue Arrow only began to "fish in the same pond" after the success of 88.
You could argue it, but the facts speak otherwise. Arrow released Silent Night, Deadly Night in 2009, so they were fishing in the slasher pond before 88 Films had even burst onto the scene. And they continued to do so, browsing their release list on Wikipedia, there's been a slasher, or film with slasher hallmarks near enough every year since. The first slasher I can find from 88 Films was in 2012 and seems to have been by virtue of being through their Full Moon deal, the first slasher they went after outside of their Full Moon remit is much later.

Not that it's a competition, we don't really need to hear ad nauseam how few people work behind the scenes at 88 Films, nor how many at Arrow.

From what I gather Arrow's interests in Blood Harvest aren't really related to it being a slasher anyway, it was pegged for an American Horror Project set, wasn't it? Surely from the reaction here to its reveal, it would fit that bill of lesser-known US genre cinema languishing in obscurity. But of course none of this fits your rhetoric.
Old 6th June 2017, 12:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
You could argue it, but the facts speak otherwise. Arrow released Silent Night, Deadly Night in 2009, so they were fishing in the slasher pond before 88 Films had even burst onto the scene. And they continued to do so, browsing their release list on Wikipedia, there's been a slasher, or film with slasher hallmarks near enough every year since. The first slasher I can find from 88 Films was in 2012 and seems to have been by virtue of being through their Full Moon deal, the first slasher they went after outside of their Full Moon remit is much later.

Not that it's a competition, we don't really need to hear ad nauseam how few people work behind the scenes at 88 Films, nor how many at Arrow.

From what I gather Arrow's interests in Blood Harvest aren't really related to it being a slasher anyway, it was pegged for an American Horror Project set, wasn't it? Surely from the reaction here to its reveal, it would fit that bill of lesser-known US genre cinema languishing in obscurity. But of course none of this fits your rhetoric.
I always wonder too, what about Italian films?

Arrow have always release gialli and italian titles, even if for a few years it dropped down to a couple spag westerns, Bava titles and the occasional odd thing like Super Bitch or The Visitor, but when the Italian Collection first popped up from 88 I remember a lot of accusations being hurled at them for mimicking the classic Arrow white border.

Could go both ways I guess, there'll always be label politics and such, but at the end of the day, Arrow put out high quality restorations, and 88 are putting out a high output of Slasher and Italian titles Arrow may never have touched (although I do sometimes get a little bit sad that some of these titles don't get nice fresh new scans *ahem Just Before Dawn*)
Gold6082, keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 6th June 2017, 12:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post

Silent Night, Deadly Night? The one I told them to purchase aye? Any of these old slashers you see from Arrow are almost entirely my suggestions. My rhetoric is based on working with both companies. I can back up everything I say.
Old 6th June 2017, 12:48 PM
Active Cultist

You could say that arrow got "inspired" by shameless.Arrow had hardly any influence on the horror market b4 shameless hit the scene.
keirarts and fuzzymctiger like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!