Like Tree16553Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th June 2017, 07:46 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Can't beat a bit of Quigley!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 8th June 2017, 06:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Well last night I decided I'd catch up with my 88 releases, first off was Long Hair of Death followed by Body Puzzle.
Long Hair looks to be from what I've read online the same master that Raro used complete with the odd bit of smearing during the very high contrast passage scenes. Apart from that the visuals looked okay and the audio was in great condition. For some reason though Barbara Steeles dub seems to be a few seconds behind all the other characters which is very strange. Other characters in a scene are flapping their mouths and there's dialogue yet Barbara's audio is a few mili-seconds behind almost like the dubbing artist wasn't paying full attention. I can understand why Long Hair is a classic to some but I did find it a little dull to be honest. The interview with Margheriti's son is interesting though.

Body Puzzle is one nineties giallo that I do actually like, a lot of the gialli that came out in this period are rather lacklustre or all glitz and glamour and no real storyline. The new transfer looked fine to me, with no scanner noise or major issues. There maybe a little static grain in a few shots but nothing to impair the viewing experience. Audio is once again in great shape with I think possibly 'live' audio during a majority of the scenes. Either that or its a bang on dubbing job. There was a little disappointment when the Italian dub wasn't included but as the whole cast appear to be delivering their lines in English I do feel it's right to view it in it's English form. The cast do a great job and the direction is rather lovely at times with some flowing camera work. A great release from 88 with a wonderful slip too.

Last edited by JAMIOUSE; 8th June 2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 9th June 2017, 04:21 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yeah I watched Body Puzzle the other night too.
Highly enjoyable from the ever reliable Bava Jnr.
JAMIOUSE and trebor8273 like this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 10th June 2017, 08:22 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default The 88 Films Thread

Got I Drink Your Blood today. Decent release, but a little disappointing that it's no where near as good as the US release. Even rubbing it in by having one of the pages of the booklet (which I never read) just showing the poster for the double feature with I Eat Your Skin lol. Just saw that the Australian blu-ray has more extras as well. As much as I love the guys, bringing out a new line and not matching other releases out there isnt the way to go for the 1st one.

Oh well, at least Creepozoids will have the same extras as the US blu-ray from Full Moon.

IMG_6852.jpg

Last edited by Stephen@Cult Labs; 10th June 2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10th June 2017, 12:01 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default The 88 Films Thread

Also, strange that the 88 disc is only Region B while both the US & Australian discs are A/B/C.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 10th June 2017, 12:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Also, strange that the 88 disc is only Region B while both the US & Australian discs are A/B/C.
Fairly sure the Aus discs are just the US discs with a outer rebranding. They even have Grindhouse logos on the case.
Stephen@Cult Labs likes this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 10th June 2017, 12:14 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Got I Drink Your Blood today. Decent release, but a little disappointing that it's no where near as good as the US release. Even rubbing it in by having one of the pages of the booklet (which I never read) just showing the poster for the double feature with I Eat Your Skin lol. Just saw that the Australian blu-ray has more extras as well. As much as I love the guys, bringing out a new line and not matching other releases out there isnt the way to go for the 1st one.

Oh well, at least Creepozoids will have the same extras as the US blu-ray from Full Moon.

Attachment 191558
I was really hoping they'd match the US release with this one but seeing as they haven't, it'll just be easier to get the Australian release direct for $25 AUD which is just the Grindhouse release with better artwork and a fake LSD sheet
Graeme73 likes this.

Old 10th June 2017, 12:17 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
Fairly sure the Aus discs are just the US discs with a outer rebranding. They even have Grindhouse logos on the case.

Well 88 have definitely got it from Grindhouse. The GH logo is at the beginning of the film, and if the Australian release is a port, it can only mean 88 didn't want to cough up for the rest of the extras/bonus films. Think i'm going to buy the Grindhouse version, and probably put the 88 disc on ebay at some point.
Old 10th June 2017, 12:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Well 88 have definitely got it from Grindhouse. The GH logo is at the beginning of the film, and if the Australian release is a port, it can only mean 88 didn't want to cough up for the rest of the extras/bonus films. Think i'm going to buy the Grindhouse version, and probably put the 88 disc on ebay at some point.
Oh sorry I should have specified, I didn't mean the case sorry but the discs, they have the exact same disc art as the US discs, I just went and checked on their label page.

But yeah sounds to me like 88 couldn't be bothered with licensing, but more likely, didn't want to make it a 2 disc set, so cut what should have been the most obvious extra, the original paired film. Quite disappointing to hear.

Old 10th June 2017, 12:31 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
Oh sorry I should have specified, I didn't mean the case sorry but the discs, they have the exact same disc art as the US discs, I just went and checked on their label page.

But yeah sounds to me like 88 couldn't be bothered with licensing, but more likely, didn't want to make it a 2 disc set, so cut what should have been the most obvious extra, the original paired film. Quite disappointing to hear.

Yeah I was thinking of getting the Grindhouse version, but the Australian release looks mighty fine too.
fuzzymctiger likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!