Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree16553Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th December 2017, 04:10 PM
Cult Master

"88 Films 26th March Release Announcement #4

Sea Fog aka Haemoo (2014) (Dual Format)

SEA FOG is one of the Korean wave's most potent stories and a visually arresting action-packed effort. Telling of an illegal immigrant operation in South Korea, focused on bringing 30 mainland Chinese star-watchers to the hustle and bustle of Busan and Seoul, which ends in terrifying tragedy, SEA FOG is a tense thriller and a blistering viewing experience. Produced by the legendary Bong Joon-ho (THE HOST) and with a cast that includes the great Kim Yoon-seok (THE CHASER) and K-pop icon Park Yoo-chun (formerly of TVXQ), SEA FOG is an adventure on the high sea that ranks as one of East Asian cinema's most masterful recent achievements!"

bleakshaun likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 20th December 2017, 04:10 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
"A bunch of our Full Moon products are going out of print very soon so if you were thinking about picking them up then now is the time.

Check some great bargains out at our webstore now

Full Moon Features
"

Problem is...
A) They don't actually say which titles are going OOP
and
B) They don't say if they are going OOP on DVD, only to be re-released at a later date on Blu-Ray!
Most of those Full Moon titles are double the price i paid when purchased from an earlier webstore sale.
Old 20th December 2017, 04:19 PM
Cult Master

"88 Films 12th March Release Announcement #1

Ghost Lovers (1974)

FROM NORTH KOREA'S FAVOURITE FILMMAKER...

The Shaw Brothers were on a roll by the time 1974's THE GHOST LOVERS arrived on the scene. Moreover, the Hong Kong studio responsible for the best in kung-fu and horror, achieved another Chinese-language classic with this sublime mix of romance and supernatural romping from beyond-the-grave. A perfectly potent tale of lost love, life and death and - yes - the supernatural spirit, THE GHOST LOVERS aptly anticipates such later Far Eastern bouts of spooky awesomeness as A CHINESE GHOST STORY. However, many fans would perhaps argue that it is this original model that remains the most macabre and maudlin... even when seen today.

Directed by South Korean genius Shin Sang-Ok, who was kidnapped by North Korea shortly after the release of THE GHOST LOVERS and forced to make films for the regime in Pyongyang (including his legendary GODZILLA take-off PULGASARI) - this bout of Shaw Brothers brilliance demands to be a part of your Asian cinema collection. After all, if it was great enough to impress the Hermit State - and no less than Kim Jong-Il himself - then it deserves to razzle and dazzle a new generation of British fright-fans as well!

Limited Edition Slipcase available from the 88 Website."

bleakshaun likes this.

Old 20th December 2017, 04:20 PM
Cult Master

"88 Films 12th March Release Announcement #2

Blood Harvest (1987)

Prolific B-movie maverick Bill Rebane (THE GIANT SPIDER INVASION) opted for some contemporary 'real world' horror carnage and caught wind of the slice and dice craze with his classic BLOOD HARVEST (1987). Unleashed at a time when the slasher movie was awash with sequels, BLOOD HARVEST stood out thanks to a lunatic performance from Tiny Tim (the legendary American television personality who offers up a creepy and instantly-cult sing-song scene as well). Featuring a masked man on the rampage, twists and turns that will keep you glued to the gore and a final reel that packs in plenty of sadism and shocks, BLOOD HARVEST gets its HD worldwide premiere from the celluloid plasma-addicts at 88 Films!!!

The harvest has begun... Dare you watch?"

Old 20th December 2017, 04:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
"88 Films 12th March Release Announcement #2

Blood Harvest (1987)

Prolific B-movie maverick Bill Rebane (THE GIANT SPIDER INVASION) opted for some contemporary 'real world' horror carnage and caught wind of the slice and dice craze with his classic BLOOD HARVEST (1987). Unleashed at a time when the slasher movie was awash with sequels, BLOOD HARVEST stood out thanks to a lunatic performance from Tiny Tim (the legendary American television personality who offers up a creepy and instantly-cult sing-song scene as well). Featuring a masked man on the rampage, twists and turns that will keep you glued to the gore and a final reel that packs in plenty of sadism and shocks, BLOOD HARVEST gets its HD worldwide premiere from the celluloid plasma-addicts at 88 Films!!!

The harvest has begun... Dare you watch?"

cut by the BBFC by 2 mins 52s and the 2003 RetroMedia dvd was also missing footage. hopefully 88 will right these wrongs.
Old 3rd January 2018, 09:48 AM
Cult Master

Some recent reviews from SnakeBiteReviews of the latest 88Films releases

All marks are out of 5!

The Toolbox Murders (1978) - Rating: * * 1/2 (Reviewed by Louis Stephenson)

THE HOUSE ON SORORITY ROW (1983) - Rating: * * (Reviewed by Louis Stephenson)

Watch Me When I Kill - Rating: * * 1/2 (Reviewed by Louis Stephenson)

Sweet Sixteen - Rating: * * (Reviewed by Louis Stephenson)

Slaughterhouse Rock - Rating: * 1/2 (Reviewed by Louis Stephenson)

I'm seeing a definite pattern here. It seems that either Louis Stephenson doesn't like the kind of films he reviews, or 88Films are releasing a bunch of turkeys!
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.

Old 3rd January 2018, 09:54 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Some recent reviews from SnakeBiteReviews of the latest 88Films releases

All marks are out of 5!

The Toolbox Murders (1978) - Rating: * * 1/2 (Reviewed by Louis Stephenson)

THE HOUSE ON SORORITY ROW (1983) - Rating: * * (Reviewed by Louis Stephenson)

Watch Me When I Kill - Rating: * * 1/2 (Reviewed by Louis Stephenson)

Sweet Sixteen - Rating: * * (Reviewed by Louis Stephenson)

Slaughterhouse Rock - Rating: * 1/2 (Reviewed by Louis Stephenson)

I'm seeing a definite pattern here. It seems that either Louis Stephenson doesn't like the kind of films he reviews, or 88Films are releasing a bunch of turkeys!

Just got an email notification of this post and as soon as I saw it, I noticed the pattern with the “out of 5 marks” too. I’m waiting on Sweet Sixteen & Slaughterhouse Rock, but I know the rest aren’t turkeys (at least not in the audio/visual presentation). I’m going to say he’s not really a fan of the films themselves.
Susan Foreman and keirarts like this.
Old 3rd January 2018, 10:25 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Just got an email notification of this post and as soon as I saw it, I noticed the pattern with the “out of 5 marks” too. I’m waiting on Sweet Sixteen & Slaughterhouse Rock, but I know the rest aren’t turkeys (at least not in the audio/visual presentation). I’m going to say he’s not really a fan of the films themselves.
The reviewer never mentions the AV quality so obviously thinks the films are poor on their own merit.

Some of what he says puzzles me though.

Quote:
I am ever grateful to any company for breathing new life into all these wonderful movies and bringing them to our shores. Shameless did an amazing job with titles such as New York Ripper (1982), My Dear Killer (1972) and Torso (1973). Regretfully I wasn’t satisfied with Watch Me When I Kill back then, so it went unseen until today. Thanks to 88 Films’ brand new 4K transfer, I can finally cross this giallo off my list.
Eh? How do you know you weren't satisfied with a film if you never watched it?
Old 4th January 2018, 11:31 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

He's been on pints of snakebites.....
g053584398 and keirarts like this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 4th January 2018, 03:17 PM
Cult Master

88Films have updated their Facebook Cover Photo

Looks like it might be 'Grizzly' from 1976

Like this? Share it using the links below!