Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree16553Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th June 2018, 09:37 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Hopefully they'll do a Vinegar Syndrome with EYEBALL and limit them to one or two per customer.Stop the scalpers-support the collectors!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 20th June 2018, 10:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Looking forward to Bad Dreams, any word on this special website exclusive of Eyeball?
I spotted today the Eyeball limited edition on Amazon earlier so it’s looking like it won’t strictly be a webshop exclusive. I look forward to seeing the artwork and Eyeball in HD, it’s certainly one of the looniest gialli ever made.
g053584398 and keirarts like this.
Old 21st June 2018, 05:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Now up for pre-order
https://88-films.myshopify.com/colle...-collection-37
and
https://88-films.myshopify.com/colle...-collection-42
Old 21st June 2018, 06:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

You know over the last few weeks I've picked up loads of 88 Films releases on blu-ray and I've been pretty impressed all round. Now it seems strange to me that they seem to get slagged off so much on some of the forums, but what can you do?
Old 21st June 2018, 06:40 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by g053584398 View Post
You know over the last few weeks I've picked up loads of 88 Films releases on blu-ray and I've been pretty impressed all round. Now it seems strange to me that they seem to get slagged off so much on some of the forums, but what can you do?
Some of their releases lacked bonus materials and colour correction. However i punted out for that severin dulux release of zombie 3 and find myself preferring 88s. Emanuel in America wasnt the upgrade i thought it would be either. A shame as severins buio omega was better
Old 21st June 2018, 07:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Some of their releases lacked bonus materials and colour correction. However i punted out for that severin dulux release of zombie 3 and find myself preferring 88s. Emanuel in America wasnt the upgrade i thought it would be either. A shame as severins buio omega was better
I was aware of criticism in some quarters in terms of some of their releases such as Zombie Holocaust and Zombie 3. I compared screenshots of both the 88 Films and the Severin versions of the former and I thought both featured shots that were better than the opposing release. In the end I'm very happy with the 88 Films Zombie Holocaust blu-ray but others may disagree.

When I took a quick look at screenshots of both 88 Films and the Severin versions of the latter I didn't notice too much of a difference between them.

Severin are capable of decent transfers but some of their releases feature heavy use of DVNR that makes them look far worse than they should. For example El Conde Dracula, Two Female Spies with Flowered Panties and, to a less extent, Vampyros Lesbos.
Old 21st June 2018, 07:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I also think that some of their releases look fantastic. In particular I'm thinking of In the Eye of the Hurricane, The Perfume of the Lady in Black and The Cold Blooded Beast.
keirarts likes this.
Old 21st June 2018, 07:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
So you have both the Severin and the 88 Films versions of Emanuelle and the Last Cannibals do you? And you don't think that the Severin is much an an upgrade? I thought the screenshots of the Severin looked quite a bit better but I suppose the most important thing is how they both look in motion.
Old 21st June 2018, 07:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

88 did and still do get a kicking on some forums unjustly so. Not every release can be a super-deluxe edition, they have to look at the title and potential sales. Some of the early Italian titles had issues with scanner noise - Anthro and Blade were the worst offenders but they can only work with the masters they are given. Severin can afford to strike fresh new scans because their catering to the US market which is considerably bigger than the UK.

88 to me have taken over the mantle from Shameless when it comes to the Italian titles, you might not like all the films they put out but they try.

The Slasher Classics line is probably one of my favourites, true some of the titles might not be pure slashers but it's included some interesting titles that otherwise might not have got a release.
Old 21st June 2018, 07:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by g053584398 View Post
So you have both the Severin and the 88 Films versions of Emanuelle and the Last Cannibals do you? And you don't think that the Severin is much an an upgrade? I thought the screenshots of the Severin looked quite a bit better but I suppose the most important thing is how they both look in motion.
I never got peoples grumbles about Emanuelle, it's a cheaply made film shot on 16mm and it looks like on 88's disc.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!