Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree16549Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st June 2018, 07:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE View Post
88 did and still do get a kicking on some forums unjustly so. Not every release can be a super-deluxe edition, they have to look at the title and potential sales. Some of the early Italian titles had issues with scanner noise - Anthro and Blade were the worst offenders but they can only work with the masters they are given. Severin can afford to strike fresh new scans because their catering to the US market which is considerably bigger than the UK.

88 to me have taken over the mantle from Shameless when it comes to the Italian titles, you might not like all the films they put out but they try.

The Slasher Classics line is probably one of my favourites, true some of the titles might not be pure slashers but it's included some interesting titles that otherwise might not have got a release.
You're absolutely right about them working in a market which is considerably smaller than that in the US, and not only that but we're talking about a niche section of the market. These sorts of films aren't going to sell in anything like the quantities of those silly, glossy and crappy contemporary Hollywood films and I think that expectations should be modified to suit the reality of market forces.

I too love their Italian and Slasher lines.
keirarts likes this.
Old 21st June 2018, 07:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE View Post
Is it The Dead Next Door that features a bizarre shower scene with an erection?
So is the version of The Dead Next Door on the blu-ray a different cut to the one originally released on VHS?
Old 21st June 2018, 08:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Colour correction is the main issue i have with 88 Films. And Beyond The Darkness, was one of their worst offenders.

Severin's was a vast improvement, with no green tint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buio4.jpg (94.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg buio883.jpg (89.7 KB, 20 views)
Steel76 likes this.
Old 21st June 2018, 09:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Some young lass on FB a few weeks back had a profile pic that read '88 films are cancer'. I appreciate that some of their releases have not been as good as one could hope but some of its a little OTT (or maybe its just me). I've had people freak out on me because I bought 88's release of Amuck over camera obsucras, why? 88's cost me £9.99 and CO's release, while i'm sure its good is £30+ dependent on where I bought it. Given i'm staring redundancy in the face its plain common sense, especially as what I've seen suggests very little difference in the AV quality. I find devotion to labels a bit weird, I wouldn't buy shock treament because I don't like the film, some would merely because it has arrow on it. Blind hatred of a label seems just as weird however.
I know that I'm responding to an old post, but I totally agree with you. Social media really allows the fruitcakes to vent their spleen!
Old 21st June 2018, 09:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Blade View Post
Colour correction is the main issue i have with 88 Films. And Beyond The Darkness, was one of their worst offenders.

Severin's was a vast improvement, with no green tint.
Whilst the Severin looks better it isn't a deal-breaker for me. Some people will feel differently though I know.
Old 21st June 2018, 10:08 PM
Cult Addict

Its weird. Severins Zombie 3 has compression issues. The colours are a bit better than 88s but overall i preffered the 88 release. Burial ground was similar..
I just wish 88 were more consistent.
g053584398 and fuzzymctiger like this.
Old 21st June 2018, 10:17 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by g053584398 View Post
So you have both the Severin and the 88 Films versions of Emanuelle and the Last Cannibals do you? And you don't think that the Severin is much an an upgrade? I thought the screenshots of the Severin looked quite a bit better but I suppose the most important thing is how they both look in motion.
Ive got the severin emanuel. Its not a huge leap forward. A lot of the print damage is still there.
g053584398 likes this.
Old 22nd June 2018, 09:51 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've just ordered all of the titles available to preorder. It's good to see Hansel & Gretel has different extra features to The DVD I have, Bad Dreams has a commentary and several interviews, Amazonia: The Catherine Miles Story comes with a 50 minute documentary, interview and selection of different artwork. It's disappointing that The Human Goddess doesn't have a commentary because I've enjoyed the ones on their last two Asia Collection releases, but I bought it anyway!

I think it's great that a British label is releasing such a broad range of films and making films from different eras and different localities available.
Old 22nd June 2018, 10:06 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I've just ordered all of the titles available to preorder. It's good to see Hansel & Gretel has different extra features to The DVD I have, Bad Dreams has a commentary and several interviews, Amazonia: The Catherine Miles Story comes with a 50 minute documentary, interview and selection of different artwork. It's disappointing that The Human Goddess doesn't have a commentary because I've enjoyed the ones on their last two Asia Collection releases, but I bought it anyway!

I think it's great that a British label is releasing such a broad range of films and making films from different eras and different localities available.
Well said!
I'm a broken record here, but I remember nth generation bootlegs, havings films only copied off an italian vhs with no subs & the possibility of fines/jail for sneaking these things through customs, so I'm grateful for labels like 88 putting out all these great titles, and things like colour correction, compression, lossless audio etc don't bother me.
I prefer to enjoy the movies themselves, and not review the technical aspects of their reproduction. Probably because I don't have a fancy home cinema setup, just a basic tv & blu ray player. More love for the cult labels, less competition would be nice!
Old 24th June 2018, 08:43 AM
Seasoned Cultist

i love there release of the Bogey man with Susanna love were the man lives in the mirror.

Like this? Share it using the links below!