Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree16554Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th August 2018, 05:26 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I don't upgrade every dvd that i own, i couldnt afford it. i only buy them when there on offer most of the time.
most of the Arrow titles i pick up on sale as well.
g053584398 and keirarts like this.
Old 8th August 2018, 05:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcol View Post
I have a couple of blu ray players and can't see much difference between those discs and dvds. I'd never buy two copies of the same film to make some minor upgrade.
I have unfortunately fell into the trap of buying the same films again, especially with the Argento's and Fulci's. Those Arrow releases are so tempting.

But i do still buy a fair amount of DVD's as well. A lot of world cinema titles still only get a DVD release in this country, and they look great upscaled.
g053584398 and trebor8273 like this.
Old 8th August 2018, 05:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I have Massacre in Dinosaur Valley and Amazonia in dvd box sets from Shriek Show alongside films like Golden Temple Amazons and Diamonds of Kilimanjaro (Both Jess Franco), Deodato's Jungle Holocaust and Lenzi's Eaten Alive.

Back in the mid 00's these sets could be bought new for about seven quid and they featured commentaries and other extras.

I like them all but doubt i'd upgrade any of then to blu even if i could.
I really liked those cheap Shriek Show triple-film box sets and I bought quite a few of them such as the Female Prisoner set and the Jess Franco set etc. I also have the one with Golden Temple Amazons, Diamonds of Kilimandjaro and Amazonia and, like so many of the discs that I've purchased over the years, I still have't got around to watching them!
Old 8th August 2018, 05:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Nope. Not buying one just for the sake of it. My dvd player is doing just fine.

It upscales to 1080I and there's a very noticeable difference in picture quality when a dvd isn't upscaled so still suits me fine.
I'd avoided Blu-ray up until a few months ago when my TV of 15 years decided to die. Since then I've picked up a new LCD TV and region-free Blu-ray player and I'm very happy with them. Having said all that, the difference in quality between DVD and Blu-ray isn't the quantum leap that we experienced between VHS and DVD; but a good quality Blu-ray can look significantly better than a DVD.
Old 8th August 2018, 06:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
There are one or two that are new to all formats. A couple of Arrow gialli that i'd like, but they do tend to release them on dvd in time. You've got to remember a lot of films came out on dvd in the 00's. They may not be freely available now, but that was when i was hoovering up from the likes of Blue Underground, Shriek Show, NoShame and so on.
I still have all of my Blue Underground, Shriek Show and NoShame DVD realeases, although I keep thinking that since I've upgraded some of the titles I may as well let some of them go. I just need some time to sort through them all. I would imagine that stuff like the Luciano Ercoli and Emilio P. Miraglia sets would sell without too much trouble, with the latter having a rather fancy model of the red queen included in the box and the former featuring an audio CD.
Old 8th August 2018, 06:03 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by g053584398 View Post
I still have all of my Blue Underground, Shriek Show and NoShame DVD realeases, although I keep thinking that since I've upgraded some of the titles I may as well let some of them go. Just need some time to sort through them all. I would imagine that stuff like the Luciano Ercoli and Emilio P. Miraglia sets would sell without too much trouble, with the latter having a rather fancy model of the red queen included in the box and the latter featuring an audio CD.
Ha,ha, those are two i'll definitely keep. Same with say The Last Round with it's exclusive cd of movie music and the Dark Waters stone amulet set.
keirarts likes this.
Old 8th August 2018, 06:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Ha,ha, those are two i'll definitely keep. Same with say The Last Round with it's exclusive cd of movie music and the Dark Waters stone amulet set.
They were both very good releases of great films. I really liked NoShame releases, although some of their output suffered from PAL to NTSC conversion issues I seem to recall. I have The Last Round as well as I think all of their gialli and poliziotteschi releases, although I never did pick up Dark Waters. Is it any good?
keirarts likes this.
Old 8th August 2018, 06:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Most of the old Shriek Show films have had blu-ray releases now.
But i'm glad i bought Bad Inclination. Doesn't seem to have had any kind of release since then. And although far from perfect, it's not too bad for a more modern style giallo, with a maniac using a metal set square to kill their victims.
Old 8th August 2018, 06:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Blade View Post
Most of the old Shriek Show films have had blu-ray releases now.
But i'm glad i bought Bad Inclination. Doesn't seem to have had any kind of release since then. And although far from perfect, it's not too bad for a more modern style giallo, with a maniac using a metal set square to kill their victims.
I'm pretty sure i got rid of the other two films in that set and just kept Bad Inclination. Can't remember what they were now. Was one Graveyard Shift? That vamp cab driver film.
keirarts likes this.
Old 8th August 2018, 06:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by g053584398 View Post
They were both very good releases of great films. I really liked NoShame releases, although some of their output suffered from PAL to NTSC conversion issues I seem to recall. I have The Last Round as well as I think all of their gialli and poliziotteschi releases, although I never did pick up Dark Waters. Is it any good?
I really like it. Very atmospheric. Although an odd title i thought for them to release with it being quite modern at the time. I also had it on big box vhs.
g053584398 and keirarts like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!