Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The 88 Films Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/11297-88-films-thread.html)

MuckyFunster 26th January 2021 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trashforcash (Post 644839)
The biggest disappointment for me was probably Toolbox murders. It has obvious video nasty interest, but after the first 20 mins it's a real slog.

Yes, I wasn’t overly keen on Toolbox Murders either. I enjoyed the 2004 remake when I saw it at the cinema (haven’t seen it since), but the original one was a bit of a let down as I remember. I’ve only seen it the once...might try to re-watch it again soon.

I enjoy watching the good and the bad genre films. I would feel like I was missing out on too much if I only watched the ‘good’ ones. My Mrs will confirm that I’ll watch any old shite, but I can generally find something to appreciate in even the most dire film. I spent a good hour in the pub one time defending Zombie Lake! Zombie Lake has become a standard reference among me and a one of my good mates when we recommend films to one another, i.e “is it as good as Zombie Lake?” [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th January 2021 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuckyFunster (Post 644906)
Yes, I wasn’t overly keen on Toolbox Murders either. I enjoyed the 2004 remake when I saw it at the cinema (haven’t seen it since), but the original one was a bit of a let down as I remember. I’ve only seen it the once...might try to re-watch it again soon.

I enjoy watching the good and the bad genre films. I would feel like I was missing out on too much if I only watched the ‘good’ ones. My Mrs will confirm that I’ll watch any old shite, but I can generally find something to appreciate in even the most dire film. I spent a good hour in the pub one time defending Zombie Lake! Zombie Lake has become a standard reference among me and a one of my good mates when we recommend films to one another, i.e “is it as good as Zombie Lake?” [emoji23]

Zombie Lake is a masterpiece in comparison to Oasis of the Living Dead.

MuckyFunster 26th January 2021 10:40 PM

Troma used to have a whole host of full films to watch for free on YouTube, but I think they might have their own subscription service now [emoji3166]

I watched a few when they were on YouTube. Awful picture quality, but the films are good fun. I think their newer films are made intentionally bad, like it’s Troma’s trademark, but some of the old ones seem to be budding film makers trying to do their level best with what little they had. Maybe I’m giving them more credit than they’re due... lol.

MuckyFunster 26th January 2021 10:42 PM

The 88 Films Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 644907)
Zombie Lake is a masterpiece.

Fixed it for you! [emoji23] [emoji23]

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th January 2021 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuckyFunster (Post 644909)
Fixed it for you! [emoji23] [emoji23]

I love it. What can be better than zombies in green makeup chasing scantily clad bathers about.

Susan Foreman 27th January 2021 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 644901)
Is this the one with the plane crash?

If so i really like it. Watched the old US MGM dvd loads of times.

It's an 'emergency landing' rather than a 'crash'

This is what I wrote about 'Scarecrows', back in 2017:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 548998)
I had it on VHS back in the 80's (Vestron Video? Deran Video? Don't think it was Palace Video) and I thoroughly enjoyed it

When 88Films released it, I got it as soon as it hit CEX, and settled down for an evening of nostalgia, but I found it slow and tedious to the extreme

Sometimes it's better sticking with memories!

will graham 27th January 2021 09:00 AM

I'm kinda with John matrix in regards to slashers. Aside from the prowler it seems I've seen all the ones that are meant to be any good and theres a reason why the subgenre practically died out during the early 90s.
I still blind buy them from collector companies but only bother with the ones with special features and most of the time I'm selling them on because they're just too bad.

On the whole though I do think 88 is doing a great battling average of releases for different b movie tastes.

Btw just curious would anyone want any of those bud spencer/Terrance hill comedy's for the Italian line?

Rob4 27th January 2021 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 644890)
My favourites in no particular order would be:

Graduation Day
Dead of Winter
X-Ray
The Bogey Man
Nightmares in a Damaged Brain
Children of the Corn
The First Power
Intruder
Just Before Dawn
Luther the Geek
The Toolbox Murders
The House on Sorority Row
Sweet Sixteen
Alice Sweet Alice
Bad Dreams
Popcorn
Terror Train
Christmas Evil
Schizoid
10 to Midnight
New Years Evil
Grandmothers House
Blind Date

When listed like that the range looks quite impressive. It reminds me I need to add few more to my collection before they go OOP. When's the the next sale? :nod:

Can't understand the downer on The Toolbox Murders? It has one of the best kill scenes in exploitation movie history. Sleazy as hell too!

Rob4 27th January 2021 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mat82 (Post 644894)

At first I thought it was the submission sheet not the rejection sheet. Ah well, kudos for trying.

John Matrix 27th January 2021 10:11 AM

I haven't watch a horror film that I haven't already seen before in years. Any recommendations from the latest 88 Films or Arrow releases?

Is the Alice Sweet Alice blu ray much better in quality than the old DVD? Wouldn't mind watching that one again.

I still love horror films and film in general but at one point I had a spare room in my house with I think about 4000 DVDs and blu rays, close to 1000 would have been horror. Think it was at that point I must of had a sort of epiphany that I've wasted most of my life just sitting watching films and having no real life haha. But each to their own, just not for me anymore. Pretty much got rid of the lot of them, think I've got about 200 left.

I still occasionally buy a blu ray, but a fraction of what I used to and it just gets watched then punted on ebay. If me and the wife want to watch something I usually just download it for quickness, and it's always something I would have had at some point :)