Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The 88 Films Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/11297-88-films-thread.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th January 2021 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Matrix (Post 644925)
Think it was at that point I must of had a sort of epiphany that I've wasted most of my life just sitting watching films and having no real life haha. But each to their own, just not for me anymore. Pretty much got rid of the lot of them, think I've got about 200 left.

What constitutes a real life now?

MuckyFunster 27th January 2021 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 644910)
I love it. What can be better than zombies in green makeup chasing scantily clad bathers about.

Haha, yeah there is one shot in particular that’s quite...candid! I’m sure they would’ve paid less attention to stuff like that when films were shown on fuzzy old VHS. Hi-Def has surely made a difference. Slugs and Devil Hunter have similar shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Matrix 27th January 2021 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 644928)
What constitutes a real life now?

Well before my life was working in a dead end shite job, didn't have much of a social life etc It was pretty much get up go to work and then plan what film I'd watch that night. Making a note of films I had to get. Same with music, books etc Just a pure hoarders life. As I said I had a room stacked from floor to ceiling of films of which the vast majority I was never likely to watch again.

Now, well excluding Covid and lockdowns, nothing major but I've got a decent job, married, got my wee boy and just generally go out and do things more and try and get a few holidays and see the world when possible. It's not living the dream by any stretch but it's a good deal better than what I was doing from my early 20s to early 30s.

Rob4 27th January 2021 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Matrix (Post 644931)
Well before my life was working in a dead end shite job, didn't have much of a social life etc It was pretty much get up go to work and then plan what film I'd watch that night. Making a note of films I had to get. Same with music, books etc Just a pure hoarders life. As I said I had a room stacked from floor to ceiling of films of which the vast majority I was never likely to watch again.

Now, well excluding Covid and lockdowns, nothing major but I've got a decent job, married, got my wee boy and just generally go out and do things more and try and get a few holidays and see the world when possible. It's not living the dream by any stretch but it's a good deal better than what I was doing from my early 20s to early 30s.

Good on yer John. Everyone should do what makes them happy. I think for some collectors its easy to get into a rut of not doing much else. Whole world out there, don't let your hobby cause you to miss it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th January 2021 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Matrix (Post 644931)

Nice one, John.

Personally i think a happy medium between what is considered a 'normal' life and being a collector would be perfect.

John Matrix 27th January 2021 04:22 PM

Absolutely, nothing wrong with buying films or whatever, there's just more to life than whither the numbers on the Slasher classics sleeves line up on a shelf somewhere if you know what I mean :)

Anyway this has put me in the mood for some classic horror.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th January 2021 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Matrix (Post 644944)
Absolutely, nothing wrong with buying films or whatever, there's just more to life than whither the numbers on the Slasher classics sleeves line up on a shelf somewhere if you know what I mean :)

Haha, yes, totally. :lol:

Mojo 28th January 2021 04:39 PM

Can’t say I’m a fan of the type of films such as GESTAPO’S LAST ORGY, but if it had been some arty farty film by some art farty director, the BBFC probably would have passed it uncut for ‘historical importance’ reasons, or whatever.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th January 2021 05:11 PM

Spot on Moj.:nod:

Big Brother telling us what we can and can't watch in this shithole of a country.

Trashforcash 29th January 2021 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Matrix (Post 644925)
I haven't watch a horror film that I haven't already seen before in years. Any recommendations from the latest 88 Films or Arrow releases?

Is the Alice Sweet Alice blu ray much better in quality than the old DVD? Wouldn't mind watching that one again.

I still love horror films and film in general but at one point I had a spare room in my house with I think about 4000 DVDs and blu rays, close to 1000 would have been horror. Think it was at that point I must of had a sort of epiphany that I've wasted most of my life just sitting watching films and having no real life haha. But each to their own, just not for me anymore. Pretty much got rid of the lot of them, think I've got about 200 left.

I still occasionally buy a blu ray, but a fraction of what I used to and it just gets watched then punted on ebay. If me and the wife want to watch something I usually just download it for quickness, and it's always something I would have had at some point :)

Good on you mate, you do you. I dont want to get all deep about this but...

1. The things you own end up owning you. Everyone here is in some part held hostage by their collection. We are all, in part owned by Niko Mastorakis. In my case he owns about 0.25% of my soul. Or my little toe.

2. The more choice you have the unhappier you are. In the days where you only had one vhs you watch it over and over and are happy- there was no alternative, this is the only thing you can watch. With all the choice out there it causes you misery. If you smash £80 on that Blood Harvest blu it will make you unhappy because you could have spend £80 on x,y or z.

For me, my collection is the bit of spice in life that balances out childcare and work. But I do wonder why? Who exactly would be impressed by my Arrow Windowslip Zombie Flesh Eaters box other than me? I woke up this morning in a bad mood and rage-bought VS' Whodunit off ebay. But I'm not sure why, other than the beautiful slip case. One day I'll jack it in, but as a wise person on this board once said "theres worst things to spend your money on". Some people go out boozing and some buy cars they cant afford. Maybe Blood Harvest is not so bad after all.