All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree16553Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd February 2015, 02:54 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

No idea. I think the idea of an RRP is silly, especially when a disc is first released. They should say "this is the price, end of".
Old 22nd February 2015, 02:58 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

As far as I'm aware, most releases have three prices:
– a dealer listing price, which is how much a retailer pays for the unit
– a recommended retail price, which is how much the distributor thinks the retailer should charge and
– the actual price the customer pays

This may not be the case with all labels, but it's how it is laid out on the press releases from Eureka, for example.
Old 22nd February 2015, 03:03 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
As far as I'm aware, most releases have three prices:
– a dealer listing price, which is how much a retailer pays for the unit
– a recommended retail price, which is how much the distributor thinks the retailer should charge and
– the actual price the customer pays

This may not be the case with all labels, but it's how it is laid out on the press releases from Eureka, for example.
For example, a DLP could be £12.56, the RRP is £19.99 and the price on the shelves is £14.99. The customer thinks the price has been reduced by £5, the retailer makes a profit of £2.43 and, if the unit costs £8 in total, then the label makes £4.56 for each one sold to HMV/Amazon etc.

I'm pretty sure someone in the industry would be up to give a better example, or even correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my understanding.
Old 22nd February 2015, 03:10 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default 88 Films Upcoming releases

Quote:
For example, a DLP could be £12.56, the RRP is £19.99 and the price on the shelves is £14.99. The customer thinks the price has been reduced by £5, the retailer makes a profit of £2.43 and, if the unit costs £8 in total, then the label makes £4.56 for each one sold to HMV/Amazon etc.

I'm pretty sure someone in the industry would be up to give a better example, or even correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my understanding.

Bloody hell! That makes the £7.99 price HMV sell 88's discs for, even more ludicrous!

Last edited by Stephen@Cult Labs; 22nd February 2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 22nd February 2015, 03:41 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:

Based on what has been posted.

That would mean 88 films are selling blurays to HMV for £1 odd if we are to believe that they only make £1 odd off each sale.

Or, worst deal ever, they sell to HMV who then set the price and send £1 odd per copy sold to 88 films.

It just doesn't make sense how HMV can sell so low but 88 Films dont get a proper share. Surely 88 Films make their money before HMV even receive their copies to sell.
Old 22nd February 2015, 03:48 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Bloody hell! That makes the £7.99 price HMV sell 88's discs for, even more ludicrous!
I have no idea if those figures are quoted are accurate now, but they seem to be about what I remember from the Masters of Cinema releases from several years ago.

You could probably knock £7-£8 off and change the numbers slightly – I was only getting a 'for example', rather than a definitive explanation of how the industry works.
Old 22nd February 2015, 04:15 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I always thought the retailer ordered X amount of discs at a set fee payable to the distributor, say £5 a disc, then sell them for whatever they wanted.

I can find out as i know someone who ran an indie record shop for several years before he was sold the business.
Old 22nd February 2015, 04:24 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I always thought the retailer ordered X amount of discs at a set fee payable to the distributor, say £5 a disc, then sell them for whatever they wanted.

I can find out as i know someone who ran an indie record shop for several years before he was sold the business.

That's the thing, I'm sure there are different ways different companies do it. I just want them to sell American Ninja ar a reasonable price so they can get a decent profit if they put them all in individual blu-ray cases
Old 22nd February 2015, 05:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
That's the thing, I'm sure there are different ways different companies do it. I just want them to sell American Ninja ar a reasonable price so they can get a decent profit if they put them all in individual blu-ray cases
With your cover designs.

I read your post yesterday.
Stephen@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 22nd February 2015, 05:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

Yep, sounds spot on, just like if you buy something it's then up to you what you sell it for, I'll tempt fate and say the retailer makes a bigger profit margin than the supplier, so if HMV sell a BD for £7.99 or £17.99 the amount of profit will always be biased in their favor.

Like this? Share it using the links below!