Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree16553Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd March 2015, 06:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

So far I've ordered most of the Slasher and Italian lines direct from 88, however X-Ray etc I have on pre-order from Amazon and there all around the £11.93 mark at the moment. I want to support 88 but I can't keep affording the £14.99 plus postage for every batch of releases. So for me it's either going to be Amazon or HMV from now on. 88 have got my money for Zombi Holocaust, Burial Ground and Anthro so that will have to do.

One thing 88 could do for us all is put together a current roster of releases and propsed release dates.
plasterface and keirarts like this.
Old 23rd March 2015, 06:23 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Picked up Bogey man and Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers today, both £8.99 each in HMV
I can't believe the discrepancy in prices between HMV, Amazon and 88 Films direct. HMV must barely make a profit on each section. I was extremely surprised that The Simpsons box sets were so cheap, but those 'Slasher Classics' are brand-new releases.
keirarts likes this.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 25th March 2015 at 08:06 AM.
Old 23rd March 2015, 07:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yeah was rather shocked at the Simpsons prices the other week, I wonder if HMV are buying bulk on certain labels or brands? The problem with HMV is that there never consistent, they really have Arrow releases on the Monday or the week of release, 88 products vary in price and somethings don't appear on the shop floor for weeks. The Avengers series 4 blu boxset was £54.99 on Amazon when I bought it, HMV got in last week but at £79.99
keirarts likes this.
Old 23rd March 2015, 09:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckyFunster View Post
I generally try to support the high street, and try to avoid buying online where I can. My local town centre is all but gone now, and is full of charity shops, cheque centres and poundlands. It drives me mad! Need to go all the way into Glasgow for any decent shops, which ends up making it a full day out, rather than just nicking up the precinct and then home for lunch. Winds up costing a fortune (which of course is sweetened when HMV have all the 88's for nine quid).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
For me to shop in HMV i have to take an almost 3 hour train ride so its not really an option for me. As i have said many many times here i love the thrill of finding the films i want on the shelf but i only get to a HMV or Tower Records 2 or 3 times a year. Where I live is the exact same as your town charity shops and poundlands nothing else. As for ordering direct from 88 it worked out cheaper for me than ordering from Amazon.
I'm in a similar situation, I live in a smallish town with nowhere selling dvd's/blu's apart from some chart stuff in Morrisons and WHSmiths so to go to HMV would mean going to Manchester which is why I shop online.

I'm even more torn now, my pre-orders have been around the £11.93 mark but I've noticed the prices dropping to £8.99 a week after release on some, so now I'm wondering whether I should bother with pre-orders at all, I can't really afford to pay more if they're going down in price the next week.

My preference (completely out of their control) would be the price to remain on the higher side for six months so that I can at least justify my spend. I bought The Bogey Man direct from 88 Films last week and this week it is £5 cheaper on Amazon. I sometimes wonder if Amazon/HMV are trying to ensure people buy from themselves rather than direct from 88 Films - possibly just being cynical. I have £14.74 left into my bank account until the rest of the month so that £5 would have been handy being a single cat parent.

I really need to cut down on my spending these days but I also want to support. If Claire Rayner was still alive I'd write a letter to her.
Old 23rd March 2015, 09:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
I'm in a similar situation, I live in a smallish town with nowhere selling dvd's/blu's apart from some chart stuff in Morrisons and WHSmiths so to go to HMV would mean going to Manchester which is why I shop online.

I'm even more torn now, my pre-orders have been around the £11.93 mark but I've noticed the prices dropping to £8.99 a week after release on some, so now I'm wondering whether I should bother with pre-orders at all, I can't really afford to pay more if they're going down in price the next week.

My preference (completely out of their control) would be the price to remain on the higher side for six months so that I can at least justify my spend. I bought The Bogey Man direct from 88 Films last week and this week it is £5 cheaper on Amazon. I sometimes wonder if Amazon/HMV are trying to ensure people buy from themselves rather than direct from 88 Films - possibly just being cynical. I have £14.74 left into my bank account until the rest of the month so that £5 would have been handy being a single cat parent.

I really need to cut down on my spending these days but I also want to support. If Claire Rayner was still alive I'd write a letter to her.
i miss Claire Rayner
SharonLynette likes this.
Old 23rd March 2015, 09:39 PM
Cult Master

Quote:

Its more important to be able to financially support yourself than anyone else.
Steel76 likes this.
Old 23rd March 2015, 09:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Its more important to be able to financially support yourself than anyone else.
True, I should point out that although I have very little money left I also have nothing going out, and can be creative with the cooking, and Samhain is fully stocked up with is fancy Applaws.

It just makes me want to hold back, I'm much more conservative with my dvd/blu buying apart from the odd one, it's nice to have a new release.
keirarts likes this.
Old 23rd March 2015, 10:00 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I can't believe the discrepancy in prices between HMV, Amazon and 88 Films direct. HMV must there be making a profit on each section. I was extremely surprised that The Simpsons box sets were so cheap, but those 'Slasher Classics' are brand-new releases.
I would bet good money that HMV threw a large wad of cash at 88 to get those films on the shelf at £8.99 (my local HMV just put 7 copies of Mother's Day on the shelf) as a young company if 88 can shift s*@t loads of discs quick even if the profit per unit is down to £1 each they would go for it as even that £1 keeps them in the black rather than stacking them up in a warehouse somewhere waiting for Cult Labbers to snag em all

Also those red BD cases really stand out on shelves (all good publicity)
keirarts likes this.
Old 23rd March 2015, 10:02 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
True, I should point out that although I have very little money left I also have nothing going out, and can be creative with the cooking, and Samhain is fully stocked up with is fancy Applaws.

It just makes me want to hold back, I'm much more conservative with my dvd/blu buying apart from the odd one, it's nice to have a new release.
Just remember a happy cat happy life for you unhappy cat you best hide
keirarts and SharonLynette like this.
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
I would bet good money that HMV threw a large wad of cash at 88 to get those films on the shelf at £8.99 (my local HMV just put 7 copies of Mother's Day on the shelf) as a young company if 88 can shift s*@t loads of discs quick even if the profit per unit is down to £1 each they would go for it as even that £1 keeps them in the black rather than stacking them up in a warehouse somewhere waiting for Cult Labbers to snag em all

Also those red BD cases really stand out on shelves (all good publicity)

Just as you say, they must be selling them to HMV for pretty cheap for HMV to then sell them on for £9, cause 88 and HMV will both be getting some profit from that low price. But 88 are encouraging people to support them direct and then putting the same product up on their own website for £15, while fully aware you can get them six quid cheaper on the high street.

Where's the business sense?

If they put them up on the website for a similar price, people on a budget who still want to directly support the label would maybe be more inclined to buy them from there.

Like this? Share it using the links below!