Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree16549Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th March 2015, 12:48 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I mean, I know the different outlets can't go on undercutting each other forever (where would it all end?!), but shops on the street are cutting each other's throats for your business and HMV will likely continue to buy the discs then put them on the shelves cheap to encourage people through the door. We all know what it's like to happily go skipping into the shop for one particular movie and then have to be wheeled out after having sold a kidney to pay for all your "bargains" that you found!
keirarts and SharonLynette like this.
Old 24th March 2015, 07:35 AM
Cult Addict

Personally most of 88's releases. Certainly the Slasher line and the Italians are blind buys for me. And based on some of the things I've read here they're hardly the greatest films of all time. Therefore i just can't afford £12-14.99 a pop direct. However i can afford to pick them up now and again as funds allow at HMV for £8.99.
So with the greatest respect to what they are doing it comes down to 88 making a small profit from me that way. Or no profit from me at all.

Last edited by J Harker; 24th March 2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 24th March 2015, 09:19 AM
Cultist

Pre-ordered Don't Go in the Woods and Zombie Holocaust the other day from amazon.ca, as the release date was originally set for March 23rd, until I found out they were delayed until May 11th I certainly don't blame 88 Films for this though, I blame amazon for being slow at updating their database!

Regardless, am looking forward to checking them out soon enough.

I also ordered this release of The Toxic Avenger:

http://88-films.myshopify.com/produc...s-only-blu-ray

and pre-ordered Anthropophagous. Can't wait!
keirarts likes this.

xboxlive: TwitchofDethNrv
Old 24th March 2015, 11:48 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckyFunster View Post
Just as you say, they must be selling them to HMV for pretty cheap for HMV to then sell them on for £9, cause 88 and HMV will both be getting some profit from that low price. But 88 are encouraging people to support them direct and then putting the same product up on their own website for £15, while fully aware you can get them six quid cheaper on the high street.

Where's the business sense?

If they put them up on the website for a similar price, people on a budget who still want to directly support the label would maybe be more inclined to buy them from there.

88 have said that they make around £1 profit from the price HMV sell them. They'd rather HMV sell them for around the same price they sell Arrow releases. I know the reason why they're priced so low (which I won't go into), but 88's hands are tied with the HMV pricing.
keirarts likes this.
Old 24th March 2015, 05:47 PM
Cult Addict

So the store exclusive American Ninja set is now limited edition with only 300 copies left.
Old 24th March 2015, 05:50 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
So the store exclusive American Ninja set is now limited edition with only 300 copies left.
I was hoping to hold off until next month to buy it, but have just preordered the boxset – that's what credit cards are for, right?!
keirarts likes this.
Old 24th March 2015, 05:52 PM
Cult Addict

Don't/won't have a credit card. So with companies like 88 taking money for preorders up front i just can't afford it right now. However the cheaper version and the individual films from Amazon and such is now being realised in April as opposed to October.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 24th March 2015, 06:17 PM
Cult Addict

one other thought about the HMV pricing.

Hopefully it'll encourage some of the younger audience to give these titles a go. Anyone not familiar with these titles browsing the horror section not familiar with these titles may think 'what the hell' and give it a go.

88 may well then have a customer for life!
Old 24th March 2015, 06:23 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
one other thought about the HMV pricing.

Hopefully it'll encourage some of the younger audience to give these titles a go. Anyone not familiar with these titles browsing the horror section not familiar with these titles may think 'what the hell' and give it a go.

88 may well then have a customer for life!
Good point – that's where I started!
keirarts and J Harker like this.
Old 24th March 2015, 06:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I see 88 are teasing that they have a Fulci film coming soon... Now I presume that it won't be House, Zombie, City or the Ripper so I'm guessing that it's gonna be Cat in the Brain...

I really hope it's not though as I just can't see it topping the forthcoming Grindhouse release. I have to doff my cap to 88 though as the Slasher and Italian releases are all must buys for me and if they do start a post apocalyptic series I'm going to be more broke than I already am!

Also, does anyone have any info on how the remastering of Zombie Holocaust and Burial Ground are coming along?

Finally, 88, if you see this...The Class of '84...you can do it!!
JAMIOUSE, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!