Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree16553Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th May 2015, 05:40 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
An interesting post regarding the transfer of 88's Spasmo (and Italian genre films and related restoration in general) over at Blu-ray.com[/URL]:
Damn, what a shitty situation.

Well, at least that explains, why it is so damn hard for international labels to get a hold of the negatives, to do their own scans.

I knew that film was pretty much dead in Italy, and it has been that way since the 90:s. But I didn´t know that they had closed down all those labs.

Well, then I guess that we sadly are going to be stuck with the scanner noise, even in the future, if LVR is one of the few left.
It´s too bad, as we know how beautiful those Italian movies can look, when done properly, with modern scanners. Just take a look at Arrows "Zombie Flesh Eaters" and "Demons" (especially with the extra color correction done on Synapse´s Demons discs).

Let´s just hope, that most of the transfers from Italy, don´t reach the levels of that "Tenebre" transfer, used on Arrows first release of the movie.
Old 27th May 2015, 05:45 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I would suggest e-mailing paypal directly and querying the issue. Cite uk consumer law and advise you have cancelled under distance selling regs (the ones I mentioned before.) Reiterate that failiure to honour cancellation is a potential criminal offence.
I have emailed too, all I get is an automated replies. That's why I've decided to open a dispute.
Old 27th May 2015, 05:47 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
Damn, what a shitty situation.

Well, at least that explains, why it is so damn hard for international labels to get a hold of the negatives, to do their own scans.

I knew that film was pretty much dead in Italy, and it has been that way since the 90:s. But I didn´t know that they had closed down all those labs.

Well, then I guess that we sadly are going to be stuck with the scanner noise, even in the future, if LVR is one of the few left.
It´s too bad, as we know how beautiful those Italian movies can look, when done properly, with modern scanners. Just take a look at Arrows "Zombie Flesh Eaters" and "Demons" (especially with the extra color correction done on Synapse´s Demons discs).

Let´s just hope, that most of the transfers from Italy, don´t reach the levels of that "Tenebre" transfer, used on Arrows first release of the movie.
Let's hope Camera Obscura and Arrow are around for a long time
Steel76 likes this.
Old 27th May 2015, 06:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Here is some info about why the high profile labs, are to expensive to work with, and also that the Anthro and Blade transfers was done at an even worse lab than "LVR". Someone also seems to have one hell of an stranglehold on those negatives:

Quote:
Haven't been involved with Antropophagus, I don't know what the current version looks like. We also haven't worked on Blade in the Dark in any way, shape or form either. I have the scan here and we may work on it for a forthcoming German release but I only had a quick look.
Why does it look the way it looks. It's 16mm to begin with, and from what I've been told the source elements are problematic (some producers tried to save money and prints where made from the neg, others went to interpositive first so neg is in better shape). Also, it's coming from a place that is more problematic than the place people like to bash here. And not a million dollars could change that and get it out of there. Well, a million maybe, but nothing short of that.
Quote:
L'Immagine/Cineteca are connected. They have an Arriscan which is very good, the also have some older Cintel equipment which is more or less also what the "others" have. But L'Immagine is high profile working on cultural heritage, mostly subsidised restorations that cost tens of thousands of euros. They're not simply a gun for hire. Technicolor was just that, and they had great scan quality. Also, you can't get the negative of Blade or Antro out from where it is.
Old 27th May 2015, 07:06 PM
Cult Addict

Don't know where the last few quotes are from, but i would say to these companies is be as honest as possible about negotiations with labs and conditions of film negatives. then at least people can realise the hard work that goes into releases and choose wether or not to accept a slightly compromised copy.
i remember dodgy whatever generation prints of Torso, new york ripper etc,i also remember absolutely ridiculous censor trimming. So to me the availability of these films is amazing.
i also think a lot of the blu ray generation should get a life and just enjoy the films while they have the chance.
At least they're not cut to **** and are decent copies. ok i understand we'd all like to see the film as the director intended, but after sitting thu so many shite copies in the past i honestly don't see the problem if they're watchable and uncut.
If u want the version available, buy it. if you're too stressed out with the condition don't.
Personally i'm too skint too buy anything at the moment, so think yourselfs lucky.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 27th May 2015, 07:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I feel sorry for 88 their taking a lot of shit at the moment, people want screen grabs so they post them and they get abuse. A lot of us know of the problems with Italian labs and the lack of labs. Camera Obscura have also mentioned that some films would look terrible in HD and SD is the only way to watch some of them.
You would think the rights holders would want a top quality HD master that they can then sell to the likes of Arrow, Blue Underground and 88 but it seems not. Personally I don't expect a low budget exploitation film to look as good as Star Wars does on Blu, if the labs can't and won't invest in better equipment we are stuck between a rock and a hard place.
PaulD and will graham like this.
Old 27th May 2015, 07:13 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Don't know where the last few quotes are from,
The quotes are from blu-ray.com, from the guy that was quoted earlier about the whole Italian situation.
Old 27th May 2015, 07:14 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE View Post
if the labs can't and won't invest in better equipment we are stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Yeah come on Kyle!

Get some proper equipment and stop being a skinflint.

Er' you do mean Cult Labs don't you?
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 27th May 2015, 07:33 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE View Post
Personally I don't expect a low budget exploitation film to look as good as Star Wars does on Blu.
Please let me disagree with you on this. The examples of Zombie Flesh Eaters, Alien 2: On Earth, Island of Death, Killer Reserved Nine Seats, Come cani arrabbiati, Blood and Black Lace, those Naschy films from Subkultur, I'm sure for 100% the upcoming releases of Milano Calibro 9, Nightmare City, Contamination, etc. prove those low budget exploitation films can look very good.
Steel76, PaulD and fuzzymctiger like this.
Old 27th May 2015, 09:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropophagus View Post
Please let me disagree with you on this. The examples of Zombie Flesh Eaters, Alien 2: On Earth, Island of Death, Killer Reserved Nine Seats, Come cani arrabbiati, Blood and Black Lace, those Naschy films from Subkultur, I'm sure for 100% the upcoming releases of Milano Calibro 9, Nightmare City, Contamination, etc. prove those low budget exploitation films can look very good.
No no feel free to disagree with me I just think we need to maybe reign in some of our expectations. Arrow and the like have time and money on their side 88 don't, don't forget Calum has said previously as have Camera Obscura that the Italian labs can work to specifications that the customers set down. Maybe 88 need to be more specific?
Antropophagus likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!