Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree16557Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th April 2016, 08:21 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
The monkey sequence has not been censored this time around.

There are cuts to the following:

The cockfight
The snake that is cut open and bled onto the body of Me Me Lai
The cobra vs. mongoose fight
The crocodile which is skinned alive

We tried to argue the cockfight as this horrible bloodsport is, unfortunately, perfectly legal in parts of Thailand such as Chiang Mai. We really didn't see any issue given that Lenzi was shooting the sort of thing that happens legally. Alas the BBFC, who are as hypocritical as it gets said no (they still haven't told me how kicking around a piglet or tying a monkey to a pole and running around with it, before striking it twice across the head to kill it, are not cruelty. And don't get me started with the pulling of a large turtle out of its habitat in Cannibal Holocaust, including knocking it across the head in the process - look at that scene again if you doubt me).

Either way, the new cuts don't disrupt the film - and the 88 Films edition is far superior to anything Raro will be putting out. We have a brand new 80 minute documentary on the life of Me Me Lai, which could just as easily have been a standalone documentary and feature contributions from the lady herself, Eli Roth, Ruggero Deodato and others. We have a new piece with Eli Roth talking about the Italian cannibal boom, an extensive interview with Lenzi himself and a commentary track done by yours truly.

As an aside, my new (academic) book on Cannibal Holocaust is now available for pre-order on Amazon. It will, I hope, be of interest to anyone who wants to a read more scholarly and formalist approach to this movie...

Cannibal Holocaust (Devil's Advocates): Amazon.co.uk: Calum Waddell: 9781911325116: Books
cut and run should be better choose
Old 9th April 2016, 08:41 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by michal View Post
But calum for us who want uncut version raro is best
Of course. If you need the animal stuff in there you will want the uncut version. Them's the choices. I think 88 have such a packed edition, though, you may want their release for the additional stuff alone.
Old 9th April 2016, 08:44 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Of course. If you need the animal stuff in there you will want the uncut version. Them's the choices. I think 88 have such a packed edition, though, you may want their release for the additional stuff alone.
god point
J Harker likes this.
Old 9th April 2016, 08:51 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
The monkey sequence has not been censored this time around.

There are cuts to the following:

The cockfight
The snake that is cut open and bled onto the body of Me Me Lai
The cobra vs. mongoose fight
The crocodile which is skinned alive

We tried to argue the cockfight as this horrible bloodsport is, unfortunately, perfectly legal in parts of Thailand such as Chiang Mai. We really didn't see any issue given that Lenzi was shooting the sort of thing that happens legally. Alas the BBFC, who are as hypocritical as it gets said no (they still haven't told me how kicking around a piglet or tying a monkey to a pole and running around with it, before striking it twice across the head to kill it, are not cruelty. And don't get me started with the pulling of a large turtle out of its habitat in Cannibal Holocaust, including knocking it across the head in the process - look at that scene again if you doubt me).

Either way, the new cuts don't disrupt the film - and the 88 Films edition is far superior to anything Raro will be putting out. We have a brand new 80 minute documentary on the life of Me Me Lai, which could just as easily have been a standalone documentary and feature contributions from the lady herself, Eli Roth, Ruggero Deodato and others. We have a new piece with Eli Roth talking about the Italian cannibal boom, an extensive interview with Lenzi himself and a commentary track done by yours truly.
Thanks for the info Calum and it's good to hear that the Me Me Lai doc is on the release.
keirarts and J Harker like this.
Old 9th April 2016, 09:10 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Thanks for the info Calum and it's good to hear that the Me Me Lai doc is on the release.
Me Me Lai has personally endorsed the documentary and said it is everything she hoped for and more. It plays the Sitges Film Festival this year and it is the second in a trilogy of cannibal movie documentaries that Naomi and I have planned.
keirarts likes this.
Old 9th April 2016, 11:02 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

The BBFC say that they allow 'clean kills', but this is hypocrisy when you often see animals suffering in tv shows like Life Below Zero. Being caught in traps is extremely cruel, and even when an animal is shot it is sometimes only just wounded and in great pain. And a lot of the time it is not even for food, just so they can sell the fur.
keirarts likes this.
Old 9th April 2016, 11:31 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Blade View Post
The BBFC say that they allow 'clean kills', but this is hypocrisy when you often see animals suffering in tv shows like Life Below Zero. Being caught in traps is extremely cruel, and even when an animal is shot it is sometimes only just wounded and in great pain. And a lot of the time it is not even for food, just so they can sell the fur.

Yeah, they're not only bound by the law, but their own guidelines that they've made up themselves. I've mentioned this before, but with cockfights, they'll be cut if the filmmakers arrange it and film it, not cut if they film a cockfight that was happening anyway. It's a joke. Both are being put on presented on film for our "enjoyment", yet one isn't considered cruelty.

With regards to tv though, the BBFC have no say about that. God forbid they ever do!
Old 9th April 2016, 12:01 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've just received Creepshow 2, Sleepaway Camp II and III. It's a little puzzling to look at the back of the boxes and see both films have been called Unhappy Campers in the overview, instead of the third instalment as Teenage Wasteland. I wonder if they will issue a replacement sleeve with the correct title (I've asked on Twitter).
keirarts likes this.
Old 9th April 2016, 12:58 PM
Active Cultist

drive in massacre will have two versions any idea what second version may be
I think it may be graindhouse version
keirarts likes this.
Old 9th April 2016, 02:32 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

CREEPSHOW 2 arrived today!

Anyone for a swim?
Graeme73 likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!