Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree16549Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th June 2016, 08:05 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE View Post
Totally and utterly agree! Extras are great but not totally essential, how many times can an actor be trotted out to talk about a film they appeared in thirty years ago with the same old stories they reminisced about ten years previously for the DVD release? I'd much rather have the actual film in optimal quality with a choice of the Italian or English dubs.
And you just don't get it. Richard and James are two people I consider friends. God knows, I've done enough free work for them both to know this. But I have also been dismayed, since leaving the 88 fold, that bare bones editions have become the way forward for them. As Dave rightly mentions in that article, this is our last chance to capture all of this activity from the past. And for the guy poking fun at David Warbeck - well slow hand clap to you mate because Mr. Warbeck is dead now. And people like myself and John Martin and Mike Felsher take it very seriously to get these people on tape and on camera because otherwise there won't be any document of their lives and careers - however 'boring' you might find it.

I have spent my life now chronicling forgotten films, stars who went AWOL (such as Me Me Lai), past genres and entire industries which no longer exist. You have no idea how pissed off I was that this really interesting fundraiser - which will remaster the blaxploitation movies made under apartheid in South Africa - didn't take off...

Restoration Heaven: Help Retro Afrika Bioscope Rescue Lost African FilmsZombie Hamster

Yet you are shelling out for what might be bare bones movies. Now tell me which of these fundraisers is more immediately vital? Films made under a period in history that should never be forgotten and taught to generations for centuries to come or an HD version of Aenigma with a slipcase and nothing else on there?

Now god bless 88 (and I got them to take on the UK license for Joe Bullet - which I hope to god you will all rush out and buy and for which I can't thank 88 enough because it is such an important movie) but we need to act responsibly with these films. All of them.

Late era Fulci, for instance, is surprisingly undocumented. As is late period cannibal movies (we couldn't get Michael Sopkiw without paying him a fee for Eaten Alive - and we funded that thing ourselves and then sold it to 88/ Grindhouse). There's stuff to be done with these titles. I can't do it - I'm in Asia now - but 88 can, and they can find people who can too.

I'm honestly baffled that so called 'fans', many of whom are the first to dump all over me (and if you think you'd be seeing Shaw Brothers movies, or apartheid cinema or the bloody Suckling in HD without my existence you're living in cloud cuckoo land) don't seem to give two hoots about the movies they love and the stars and directors from eras which are fast dying out.

I'm reading a great book just now called Rhodesians Never Die (I'm on a bit of an African history bender). If that book had been written in 50 years time, no one would be around who lived in Rhodesia and remembered the ins and outs of the Bush War. And a vital insight into a time of change would not exist.

Whomever my critics, I intend to keep going on and writing about/ documenting stuff that no else seems to give a toss about. I write and document this stuff for myself - and hope to bring things, such as apartheid era cinema, to a curious audience who may also be intrigued by life in the townships under a white supremacist government and the struggle for expression. I have lots more I want to do too - stuff based in Indonesia, Taiwan, the Philippines and beyond. I have a huge list of projects because I absolutely live, eat, sleep and breath my research.

You guys should be asking for/ thinking about doing the same. Keep that in mind.
Old 7th June 2016, 11:02 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
And you just don't get it. Richard and James are two people I consider friends. God knows, I've done enough free work for them both to know this. But I have also been dismayed, since leaving the 88 fold, that bare bones editions have become the way forward for them. As Dave rightly mentions in that article, this is our last chance to capture all of this activity from the past. And for the guy poking fun at David Warbeck - well slow hand clap to you mate because Mr. Warbeck is dead now. And people like myself and John Martin and Mike Felsher take it very seriously to get these people on tape and on camera because otherwise there won't be any document of their lives and careers - however 'boring' you might find it.

I have spent my life now chronicling forgotten films, stars who went AWOL (such as Me Me Lai), past genres and entire industries which no longer exist. You have no idea how pissed off I was that this really interesting fundraiser - which will remaster the blaxploitation movies made under apartheid in South Africa - didn't take off...

Restoration Heaven: Help Retro Afrika Bioscope Rescue Lost African FilmsZombie Hamster

Yet you are shelling out for what might be bare bones movies. Now tell me which of these fundraisers is more immediately vital? Films made under a period in history that should never be forgotten and taught to generations for centuries to come or an HD version of Aenigma with a slipcase and nothing else on there?

Now god bless 88 (and I got them to take on the UK license for Joe Bullet - which I hope to god you will all rush out and buy and for which I can't thank 88 enough because it is such an important movie) but we need to act responsibly with these films. All of them.

Late era Fulci, for instance, is surprisingly undocumented. As is late period cannibal movies (we couldn't get Michael Sopkiw without paying him a fee for Eaten Alive - and we funded that thing ourselves and then sold it to 88/ Grindhouse). There's stuff to be done with these titles. I can't do it - I'm in Asia now - but 88 can, and they can find people who can too.

I'm honestly baffled that so called 'fans', many of whom are the first to dump all over me (and if you think you'd be seeing Shaw Brothers movies, or apartheid cinema or the bloody Suckling in HD without my existence you're living in cloud cuckoo land) don't seem to give two hoots about the movies they love and the stars and directors from eras which are fast dying out.

I'm reading a great book just now called Rhodesians Never Die (I'm on a bit of an African history bender). If that book had been written in 50 years time, no one would be around who lived in Rhodesia and remembered the ins and outs of the Bush War. And a vital insight into a time of change would not exist.

Whomever my critics, I intend to keep going on and writing about/ documenting stuff that no else seems to give a toss about. I write and document this stuff for myself - and hope to bring things, such as apartheid era cinema, to a curious audience who may also be intrigued by life in the townships under a white supremacist government and the struggle for expression. I have lots more I want to do too - stuff based in Indonesia, Taiwan, the Philippines and beyond. I have a huge list of projects because I absolutely live, eat, sleep and breath my research.

You guys should be asking for/ thinking about doing the same. Keep that in mind.
Agreed. I think part of the issue is that people think that bypassing special features for the 4 remastered films will buy them one or 2 more movies at no extra cost to them. Seems to be almost an even split though between those who care about extras and those who don't. I personally would prefer to see these 4 releases as stacked as possible and if this is successful then do another crowdfunder later on for more titles. As you said, many of the people involved in creating these films are getting older and dying off, so get them while you can. From a business standpoint I think more people will skip bare bones discs with expectations that the 88 releases will have their lunches eaten a few months later by the likes of Grindhouse, Severin, etc. I contributed to this campaign never expecting in 2016 to see stripped down blu-ray releases, especially from a label who has generally done some really good work in the past.
Old 7th June 2016, 04:22 PM
Active Cultist

THERE is small chance that Antropophagus may be in 2k
Old 7th June 2016, 04:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
Severin did do a sterling job with Demons, no question, but Tenebrae is not fantastically better than the Arrow version really and if you didn't already know which disc was playing you'd be hard pushed to tell definitively by just looking at my 50 inch screen. If you have a 100 inch screen then maybe so.
Synapse released Demons and Tenebrae, not Severin.
Old 7th June 2016, 05:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post

Yet you are shelling out for what might be bare bones movies

I'm reading a great book just now called Rhodesians Never Die (I'm on a bit of an African history bender). If that book had been written in 50 years time, no one would be around who lived in Rhodesia and remembered the ins and outs of the Bush War.
When I met David Warbeck I found him to be the consummate gentleman with impeccable manners who was more than happy to share his time with rabid film lovers like myself, my perhaps poor joke was in no way detrimental to the man himself who I respected in the utmost. The point I was trying to put across was that story - see last rant - seems to be the one story I have heard time and time again, not only from Mr Warbeck but many others, including on this very forum and always told in such a way that Fulci (Another gentleman I had the pleasure of meeting.) had shared this with them personally - Warbeck aside of course as he was there. If anyone believes I was having a dig at him, I unreservedly refute that and apologize for my poor writing skills and sense of humour. But by the time I have heard the same story 10 times over my cynical side takes over.

Extras for a film are personal choices and some are outstanding as on Deep River Savages and some are barely worth the videotape they are recorded on making it appear that they are there just as filler to make the edition that much better than say, its USA incarnation, never mind the quality of the film itself. If a Blu Ray is filled up with the same old stuff that has appeared on every DVD release in the past then its question of validity to be recycled once more is surely an issue. Some people, obviously like yourself Callum, love the history and background but the majority of fans just want to see the feature in its best possible presentation as when these films first attracted us there were no extras at all, it was the film that captivated us and it is that nostalgia which drives us to buy copy after copy. I am not a film historian, I am just a mangy old horror film fan and for that I do not apologize. For me, and perhaps for me alone, I don't know, extras are not a deal breaker but a pristine uncut presentation is. Hey, it would be a boring old world if we all liked exactly the same thing.

On an aside, as for Rhodesians Never Die, I lived there from 1969 to 1984, right through the most vicious bush war Africa has ever seen, lost many friends and my home in Zaka - to the East of Fort Victoria now called Masvingo- was attacked on numerous occasions including my father driving over three landmines in a specialy built vehicle called a Leopard. I was in Bulawayo during the Battle of Bulawayo when Mugabe's North Korean 5th Brigade slaughtered thousands and chased Nkomo- the man who should have won the presidency- out of the country.
Old 7th June 2016, 05:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

D'oh!! Of course! Mid rant, sorry!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjconstable View Post
Synapse released Demons and Tenebrae, not Severin.
keirarts and sjconstable like this.
Old 7th June 2016, 09:14 PM
Active Cultist

When it comes to blind buys special features are essential to me.

I mean I'm pretty certain that I've seen all the best slashers from the 70 and 80's. and all the recent slashers that Arrow and 88 films have put out in the last year have been well crap, so I do want extras if I'm buying stuff I'm unlikely to watch ever again.

And I'm sure as hell not watching Dinosaur Valley again, gotta be honest that's going straight on ebay (but will unopen and watch them special features beforehand if there's any).
Susan Foreman and keirarts like this.
Old 7th June 2016, 11:47 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Been trying to cancel an order from 88Films, both on the site and on the FB page, but I still haven't gotten an answer.

I will be pissed off, if they keep ignoring me, and still ship the movie
keirarts likes this.
Old 8th June 2016, 08:42 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
Been trying to cancel an order from 88Films, both on the site and on the FB page, but I still haven't gotten an answer.

I will be pissed off, if they keep ignoring me, and still ship the movie
This happen to for my two friends and they shipped the movie I know they are
only two guys working but they hat to but themselves together
Old 8th June 2016, 08:53 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

The indiegogo campaign is over 61k now, could Anthropophagus be a realistic goal??

Like this? Share it using the links below!