Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree16549Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd May 2018, 07:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Is that a stand alone release or will it be a bonus feature with something else?
I'm not familiar with a lot of Cat III films so I'm definitely interested in learning.
It is appearing on the Koch Media release of THE UNTOLD STORY but we have HOURS of extras if there is interest in a standalone. Let 88 know I guess. I'm as uncertain as anyone if the interest is there for this to be its own thing!
Old 23rd May 2018, 07:34 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I watched it on Sunday and thought it was an extremely interesting and well made documentary. I thought I knew quite a bit about Category III films, but this made me realise I know almost nothing!

It should be a stand-alone release and hopefully 88 Films will release it and many of the films discussed on it, using the unused footage to make interview/featurette along with commentaries and booklets to make the packages on the 88 Asia collection as full as possible.
g053584398, Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 23rd May 2018, 07:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
It is appearing on the Koch Media release of THE UNTOLD STORY but we have HOURS of extras if there is interest in a standalone. Let 88 know I guess. I'm as uncertain as anyone if the interest is there for this to be its own thing!
Yes please. Duly noted!!
Justin101 and keirarts like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd May 2018, 08:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

As much as I have no interest in Eastern cinema this documentary does really interest me, Cat 3 films have always intrigued me.
gag, Justin101, Demoncrat and 1 others like this.
Old 23rd May 2018, 08:10 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE View Post
As much as I have no interest in Eastern cinema this documentary does really interest me, Cat 3 films have always intrigued me.
If you want to broaden your knowledge of world cinema and its history, this is something which you should find fascinating. The breadth of interviews and the number of films and timescale covered by the documentary makes it something which should interest anyone who wants to improve their understanding of filmmaking in Hong Kong, exploitation, transgression and extreme cinema.

I could have made a sizeable list of films I want to watch and wish 88 Films would add to their 88 Asia collection (some have already been released) while watching it, but didn't because I wanted to concentrate on the documentary and not be sidetracked by compiling a wishlist!
Old 23rd May 2018, 08:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Noted!!

gag ... get your arse over here
gag and keirarts like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd May 2018, 08:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
If you want to broaden your knowledge of world cinema and its history, this is something which you should find fascinating. The breadth of interviews and the number of films and timescale covered by the documentary makes it something which should interest anyone who wants to improve their understanding of filmmaking in Hong Kong, exploitation, transgression and extreme cinema.

I could have made a sizeable list of films I want to watch and wish 88 Films would add to their 88 Asia collection (some have already been released) while watching it, but didn't because I wanted to concentrate on the documentary and not be sidetracked by compiling a wishlist!
yep this is what would happen to me, as i'm so autistic i'm always making wishlists. are there any definitive books out there on Cat III films, as its easier to make a list from a book? - oh no, there i go again
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 23rd May 2018, 08:25 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
yep this is what would happen to me, as i'm so autistic i'm always making wishlists. are there any definitive books out there on Cat III films, as its easier to make a list from a book? - oh no, there i go again
Maybe Calum is going to write one!
keirarts likes this.
Old 23rd May 2018, 10:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Maybe Calum is going to write one!
There will 100% be a Cat 3 book coming from me. But it probably won't be for another three - four years as I have the South Africa 'zaxploitation' book to do first!
Old 23rd May 2018, 11:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Is that a stand alone release or will it be a bonus feature with something else?
I'm not familiar with a lot of Cat III films so I'm definitely interested in learning.
I'm familiar with cat III films is hong Kong Asia highest category of films with extreme violence Can you stomach these Category III gross-out horror films? | Dazed
Also gives brief what a cat III film
g053584398 and keirarts like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!