Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree16549Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th January 2021, 09:47 AM
Cultist

I bought loads to begin with then after a while thought why the fu*k am I watching this pish? Like why am I wasting my time watching crap horror films when I've seen all the good ones.

Their best releases were the ones that I had already seen or had on DVD like Alice Sweet Alice, Intruder, House on Sorority Row, Children of the Corn.

Quite liked Scarecrows, Dead of Winter and The Bogey Man, those were new to me.

But I think it was after watching Scalps, Graduation Day, Nail Gun Massacre, Mountaintop Motel Massacre, Slaughterhouse I had the revelation of why waste my time watching crap when I could re-watch something good.
Old 26th January 2021, 12:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Matrix View Post
I bought loads to begin with then after a while thought why the fu*k am I watching this pish? Like why am I wasting my time watching crap horror films when I've seen all the good ones.
This is an interesting question and I guess everyone probably has a different opinion. When I was growing up watching the horror films starring Karloff, Lugosi, Cushing and Lee on the telly they were curated for you by the BBC and ITV and therefore you only got to see the best ones. But I was reading books where they were referencing films that never turned up such as the Poverty Rows of the 30s/40s, 1950s AIPs, Italian gothics, American Indies of the 60s and 70s. Generally the opinion of these was low but I was still intrigued and wondered how I would ever get to see them? And then came VHS, DVD and Bluray. Sure I might wade through a lot of crap to discover the odd gem, but honestly, I enjoy it and the background to a lot of these cheapies is a lot more interesting than a studio blockbuster.

I once read somewhere that you can only be defined as a true genre fan if you embrace the whole of the genre - the rough with the smooth, the good with the bad, the ugly and the beautiful. I think I'm just about there, but goddamnit, there are some out there that test even my patience - yes I'm looking at you Troma
Old 26th January 2021, 12:48 PM
Cultist

Yes, it's like sifting through mud to get gold with the SC collection. I had a similar experience with Return to Horror High. "Why?" I thought as I wrestled to keep my attention on the absolute s**t-show in front of me! But I recently had alot of fun with the HC commentary on Moon in Scorpio and 10 to midnight.

Most of the slasher classics have the wtf factor, but some make you wonder what they were thinking in releasing it. Scalps being a prime example (though I always regret selling my copy of that as it goes for north of £30 now).

I just worry that 88 are selling their souls to Jackie Chan and JCVD and it's all going to end in tears. I know there are some good JCVD films, but not the ones they have released. Hard Target, Uni Sol and Timecop are my limit for JCVD. Oh, and the film JCVD. As for Jackie Chan, it's all very similar.

More power to collectors of those two collections, but it's not for me. I think 88 do a great job given their limited resources though, and it's great to see them coming out with new stuff each month, unlike Arrow. Some of Arrows films have been round the block more times than Lewis Hamilton.
Old 26th January 2021, 01:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
This is an interesting question and I guess everyone probably has a different opinion. When I was growing up watching the horror films starring Karloff, Lugosi, Cushing and Lee on the telly they were curated for you by the BBC and ITV and therefore you only got to see the best ones. But I was reading books where they were referencing films that never turned up such as the Poverty Rows of the 30s/40s, 1950s AIPs, Italian gothics, American Indies of the 60s and 70s. Generally the opinion of these was low but I was still intrigued and wondered how I would ever get to see them? And then came VHS, DVD and Bluray. Sure I might wade through a lot of crap to discover the odd gem, but honestly, I enjoy it and the background to a lot of these cheapies is a lot more interesting than a studio blockbuster.

I once read somewhere that you can only be defined as a true genre fan if you embrace the whole of the genre - the rough with the smooth, the good with the bad, the ugly and the beautiful. I think I'm just about there, but goddamnit, there are some out there that test even my patience - yes I'm looking at you Troma
I’ve always preferred the lesser films, unknown, obscure, cheese fest, grindhouse etc, bad taste, sense of freedom, combat shock, men behind the sun, dead and buried, gareth marenghis darkplace similar films and tv shows over 99% Hollywood Blockckbuster wether it’s got loads of stars or just a huge budget.
Old 26th January 2021, 02:08 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:

I'm with you on this, Rob. I need to watch them all. Especially in Gothic horror. Certainly there's rubbish out there like Lugosi's Voodoo Man but i won't be getting rid of it. I'm pleased to have it in my collection.
Old 26th January 2021, 02:20 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Really well put, Rob.

'Proper' genre fans aren't those who spend their time repeatedly watching the 'classics', those highly regarded by fans and critics alike, but those who embrace the weird and wonderful or are prepared to watch an obscure title knowing it could be either dross or brilliance.

Just about every film, no matter how low the budget or accomplished or otherwise the people in front of (and behind) the camera, has something of note, even if it's only how well it unintentionally works as a comedy!
g053584398 and Rob4 like this.
Old 26th January 2021, 02:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Really well put, Rob.

'Proper' genre fans aren't those who spend their time repeatedly watching the 'classics', those highly regarded by fans and critics alike, but those who embrace the weird and wonderful or are prepared to watch an obscure title knowing it could be either dross or brilliance.

Just about every film, no matter how low the budget or accomplished or otherwise the people in front of (and behind) the camera, has something of note, even if it's only how well it unintentionally works as a comedy!
I could seriously argue against this with some of the stuff i've seen both in box sets like Mill Creek's Decrepit Crypt of Nightmares 50 movies box and also direct to dvd dross.

The Gallows Act II had no redeeming features whatsoever. Bordered on unwatchable. Same goes for Dumb and Dumber to and Warcraft.
Old 26th January 2021, 03:00 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'm with you on this, Rob. I need to watch them all. Especially in Gothic horror. Certainly there's rubbish out there like Lugosi's Voodoo Man but i won't be getting rid of it. I'm pleased to have it in my collection.
It's not great is it? It is amazing though how much the transfer/quality of print changes the perception of a movie. I remember watching Voodoo Man through a haze of print scratches and snow, printed too dark or blown out. In comparison the latest transfer is amazing and made me appreciate quite a bit more.
Old 26th January 2021, 03:23 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I could seriously argue against this with some of the stuff i've seen both in box sets like Mill Creek's Decrepit Crypt of Nightmares 50 movies box and also direct to dvd dross.

The Gallows Act II had no redeeming features whatsoever. Bordered on unwatchable. Same goes for Dumb and Dumber to and Warcraft.
In those cases, they could be notable for their ineptitude or crassness.

I haven't seen Dumb and Dumber since it was first on Sky Cinema and have no intention of rectifying that. I've heard negative things about Warcraft but haven't seen it and hadn't heard of The Gallows Act II until now.
Old 26th January 2021, 03:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
In those cases, they could be notable for their ineptitude or crassness.

I haven't seen Dumb and Dumber since it was first on Sky Cinema and have no intention of rectifying that. I've heard negative things about Warcraft but haven't seen it and hadn't heard of The Gallows Act II until now.
Not Dumb and Dumber, Nos. Dumb and Dumber to. If you thought the first one was bad (I loved it) then the sequel, well...

Like this? Share it using the links below!