Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree16549Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th December 2022, 11:07 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Whilst watching Cannibal Holocaust, it got me thinking that with the regularity of releases, some of the Films are well known (To the Cult Market) and the Extra Features, that 88 Films may be the greatest Cult Film Distributers ever.

I'm sure others will disagree, Shameless Films were kind of hot when they began, Arrow have gone off the boil, Vipco (were Vipco Lol) 101 Films, whilst have put out some interesting releases, The AGFA Titles are letting them down.

I'm just basing it on the actual releases, not Customer Relations, change of Release Dates kind of thing.
Old 13th December 2022, 11:48 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Whilst watching Cannibal Holocaust, it got me thinking that with the regularity of releases, some of the Films are well known (To the Cult Market) and the Extra Features, that 88 Films may be the greatest Cult Film Distributers ever.

I'm sure others will disagree, Shameless Films were kind of hot when they began, Arrow have gone off the boil, Vipco (were Vipco Lol) 101 Films, whilst have put out some interesting releases, The AGFA Titles are letting them down.

I'm just basing it on the actual releases, not Customer Relations, change of Release Dates kind of thing.
Indicator would get my vote. Eureka are no slouches either (When they aren't releasing Asian stuff constantly) nor the BFI.
Old 14th December 2022, 02:14 PM
Active Cultist

Looking at my library I do buy more 88 releases then anyone else, despite the slasher fans moaning I would say they have a better variety of films for everyone.

Think I would agree indicator perhaps are the all round best company for quality though.
Old 14th December 2022, 02:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

88's pricing is getting ridiculous which is an issue for me. Twenty quid for Blood and Diamonds which has only a slipcase and booklet is way too much.

By all accounts it's a dull film as well.
Old 14th December 2022, 02:44 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
88's pricing is getting ridiculous which is an issue for me. Twenty quid for Blood and Diamonds which has only a slipcase and booklet is way too much.

By all accounts it's a dull film as well.

This my main issue as well £20 for a new release is too high for my budget. But what’s worse is bung it in a hard case and include a booklet and charge £25 for it, which especially stings when it’s some like Romper Stomper with no extras or Hatchet for the Honeymoon which I think has one supplementary interview included.

Not all of the releases are equal.

But to echo your words earlier, Indicator and BFI always offer value for money, although I understand it’s not the same market.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th December 2022, 03:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
This my main issue as well £20 for a new release is too high for my budget. But what’s worse is bung it in a hard case and include a booklet and charge £25 for it, which especially stings when it’s some like Romper Stomper with no extras or Hatchet for the Honeymoon which I think has one supplementary interview included.

Not all of the releases are equal.

But to echo your words earlier, Indicator and BFI always offer value for money, although I understand it’s not the same market.
It's not like the hard cases sell out quiick either. They are always being knocked down in price on Amazon. A load are at the moment but at this time of the year i can't afford £15 for a single film.

Hatchet for a Honeymoon's been out years and still hasn't sold out in it's twenty five quid format.
Old 31st December 2022, 04:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Did anyone actually get the Saucy 70's set in the recent sale?

I'm asking because the sole Amazon review, a verified purchase, claims the audio on The Sex Thief is a mess. Keeps going from loud to quiet and vice versa all the time.

Quote:
This is a beautifully packaged set featuring 3 sex comedies from Tigon productions. Unfortunately the set is marred by the terrible sound quality on The Sex Thief, which is distorted throughout and repeatedly switches from being too quiet to too loud, making the film unwatchable. It sounds like it's been sourced from a dodgy bootleg. The clips of the film shown in the extras are nice and clear so there's obviously a fault with the mastering of the main feature. Hopefully 88 Films will offer a replacement programme for this disc.
Can anyone verify this?
Old 1st January 2023, 12:38 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Did anyone actually get the Saucy 70's set in the recent sale?

I'm asking because the sole Amazon review, a verified purchase, claims the audio on The Sex Thief is a mess. Keeps going from loud to quiet and vice versa all the time.

Can anyone verify this?
I did, but my copy is still sealed.
Old 1st January 2023, 10:04 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
It's not like the hard cases sell out quiick either. They are always being knocked down in price on Amazon. A load are at the moment but at this time of the year i can't afford £15 for a single film.

Hatchet for a Honeymoon's been out years and still hasn't sold out in it's twenty five quid format.
Just found HFH at £12 a couple of days ago on a CEX.. so it will not sold out for long time

And to think I bought at full price
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 1st January 2023, 10:08 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard View Post
Just found HFH at £12 a couple of days ago on a CEX.. so it will not sold out for long time

And to think I bought at full price
No matter what the price is, it's a film that never disappoints, it just gets better with every viewing

Like this? Share it using the links below!