Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree2586Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th August 2020, 10:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I'm surprised you thought the restoration wasn't very good. Apart from a couple of scenes where he was looking out to the marshes in the fog everything looked really good!

It was my first time watch last night, I want allowed to watch it when it was on TV. Some bits scared the crap out of me haha. Really enjoyed it.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 16th August 2020, 10:37 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Just watched it for the first time. Brilliant piece of work and a very handsome tv production. As far as format goes i was a little underwhelmed with the restoration and can only assume it must have looked awful to begin with. I imagine the dvd will be more than adequate for an antiquarian such as yourself Dem.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I can’t personally comment on the quality of the restoration as not seen it yet but it was shot on 16mm which naturally won’t give the same quality picture as 35mm film. This was normal for UK TV productions of the time. Whilst it clearly can’t give the same gloss as 35mm I think 16mm has its own unique atmosphere and for people of a certain age e.g. me, has a certain nostalgia value
Old 17th August 2020, 12:47 PM
Cult Addict

Its not awful by any means but some of the early scenes, in the church for instance seem to have a lot of digital noise going on. Some of it looks pristine as well mind. It felt like a somewhat inconsistent transfer. But it was a first time watch for me too so I've nothing to compare it too in terms of picture quality. Mark Gattis and Andy Nyman on the commentary seem to think it looks stunning so i assume its all relative and the source material wasn't in great shape.

Justin101 and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 17th August 2020, 04:50 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Its not awful by any means but some of the early scenes, in the church for instance seem to have a lot of digital noise going on. Some of it looks pristine as well mind. It felt like a somewhat inconsistent transfer. But it was a first time watch for me too so I've nothing to compare it too in terms of picture quality. Mark Gattis and Andy Nyman on the commentary seem to think it looks stunning so i assume its all relative and the source material wasn't in great shape.

Yes it will be the source material rather than digital noise which gives that impression when shot in low light and then transferred in HD.
Old 19th August 2020, 09:35 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Compared to numerous spurious dvds over the years it looks amazing.

I like the film in a Ghost Story for Christmas way,but as I saw the remake on the big screen,it's a far scarier experience.

Kudos to Network for digging this up.

Hopefully a lot more like that to come!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 20th August 2020, 12:00 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

I've watched The Woman In Black last Saturday evening. Having watched this television drama/Gothic ghost story on it's original transmission, and also have many distant memories of the story itself as a youngish child, I was pleasently surprised by story. Obviously not as creepy as it was back in 1989 when I watched it, but still a decent and fairly well executed story with some fine performances from the cast. Wise's direction was probably the highlight. Some rather creative and stylish moment's. The restoration was fine. I think Network have tried to deliver the best possible outcome with the elements available to them via ITV Global. The only thing that pissed me off was the tacky packaging. Yes, I know the slip cover was meant to look like an old binding to a book, but quite honestly Network could've delivered a decent hardbacked case for the Press booklet. A nice slim hard cardboard case with the Blu-Ray case inside would've been perfect.

Overall I would give The Woman In Black 7/10 for the story.

Network Restoration 7/10

and the packaging 5/10.
Old 20th August 2020, 01:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Spider dog

We'll I'm sorry you're all missing the point,the obvious star of the Woman in Black was not the restoration but Spider the dog, some of the best canine acting ever, even if he did run off half way through...

Old 20th August 2020, 06:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I do find Network's website weird.

When there's a sale on it never accepts my log in details but any other time such as just now when i bought a film it's fine.
Old 28th August 2020, 05:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Good news that The Woman in Black is re-released 12th October on dvd and bd.

Look forward to that. Perfect time of the year to watch as well.
Old 23rd September 2020, 07:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Among November's releases there is this thriller which is of definite interest.

Starring Susan George and creepy Mark Lester from What the Peeper Saw.

A hard-hitting conspiracy thriller from cult director John Hough, Eyewitness features a powerful screenplay from Oscar-winning writer Ronald Harwood and an uncredited Bryan Forbes. Mark Lester stars alongside Lionel Jeffries and Susan George in this rarely-seen drama that is presented here as a restoration from original film elements in its original theatrical aspect ratio.

Eleven-year-old Ziggy, a bored fantasist, makes up far-fetched stories to pass the time on his Mediterranean island home. When he witnesses the assassination of a visiting president, no-one believes him – apart from the assassin, who is determined to silence the young boy permanently!

Available of dvd and bluray 16th November.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eyewitness (Large).jpg (79.1 KB, 44 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!