Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree2586Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th July 2020, 04:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

They have a helpful FAQ section on their site;

Does this mean you are no longer making DVDs and BluRays?
No, we continue to be committed as we can to physical media.

You have to remember, Network's sole purpose is archiving, they've rescued so many TV shows from the Network TV tapes before they get wiped, they're not really going to ditch that. This streaming thing is supposed to a be a good old night in, re-creating nights in front of the telly back when there were only 3 channels and you had no choice about what to watch!

I have no inclination to think that this is supposed to be a replacement for their DVDs

https://support.networkonair.com/hc/...002048577-FAQs

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 29th July 2020, 04:19 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Well that's what this streaming platform will provide. Plenty of series and exclusive content that will probably not be on physical media. You know only too well what these streaming services will provide. Question is, will you be saying that when Network start delivering the exclusive content on Network on Air, rather than DVD and Blu-Ray.

Time to buy and eat that Blu-Ray player Dem. Yum! Yum!
Well to be honest i can't think of any shows that could be exclusive to the streaming platform that have not been released.

I'm sure there will be loads but i'm pretty much done with them for physical media and have been for a while unless something new appears that hasn't been released on any format previously. I think i've bought every series and film that i really wanted to see.

The things they've launched the streaming platform with are zero interest to me. i find the majority of non horror anthology tv from the fifties and sixties to be really plodding and hard work to sit through.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 29th July 2020, 04:20 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
They have a helpful FAQ section on their site;

Does this mean you are no longer making DVDs and BluRays?
No, we continue to be committed as we can to physical media.

You have to remember, Network's sole purpose is archiving, they've rescued so many TV shows from the Network TV tapes before they get wiped, they're not really going to ditch that. This streaming thing is supposed to a be a good old night in, re-creating nights in front of the telly back when there were only 3 channels and you had no choice about what to watch!

I have no inclination to think that this is supposed to be a replacement for their DVDs

https://support.networkonair.com/hc/...002048577-FAQs
Well yes, that's partly true, but what a company says, and then does down the road are two different things. I could say that I'm committed to my job, but tomorrow I could leave and find another job. What get's printed on a company site can also change at any moment. Network are only responding to the current situation by bringing out a streaming service like all the other companies, and now's a very good time to do so, during a crisis. Streaming has been pushed quite a bit since lockdown, and is the perfect launch pad to gain further interest in the new media technology. Things are changing, and physical media is becoming a shrinking market place as these new streaming services launch from independent companies like Network. I'm certain that Powerhouse/Indicator and Simply Media will head in the same direction.
Old 29th July 2020, 04:24 PM
Cult Veteran

Put it this way, if the only way to stream is by viewing it on a website/browser they're not going to succeed at it regardless of their intentions so it's all a bit moot at this time...

Old 29th July 2020, 04:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Put it this way, if the only way to stream is by viewing it on a website/browser they're not going to succeed at it regardless of their intentions so it's all a bit moot at this time...
Plus i think these 'nights in' would become really boring after, well probably one night to be honest.

Do we really want to pay to watch old adverts?
Justin101 likes this.
Old 29th July 2020, 04:29 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Well to be honest i can't think of any shows that could be exclusive to the streaming platform that have not been released.

I'm sure there will be loads but i'm pretty much done with them for physical media and have been for a while unless something new appears that hasn't been released on any format previously. I think i've bought every series and film that i really wanted to see.

The things they've launched the streaming platform with are zero interest to me. i find the majority of non horror anthology tv from the fifties and sixties to be really plodding and hard work to sit through.
Usually companies start off with pretty mundane stuff, then start to release further materials to those that will be willing to pay for it that might be fairly unique or different that hasn't been released. None of this interests me either, but the inevitable nail in the coffin is very much approaching those of us who collect physical media. Thank God I bought 4 Blu-Ray players over the last couple of years.

Interesting development though.
Old 29th July 2020, 04:33 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:

Give it time. Just like a fine wine or a great relationship that's already lasted 40yrs, you've got to put love and attention where possible for it to work effectively Justin. And in Network's case, their on to a winning formula. Plenty of youngsters will be interested in seeking out material from the past.
Old 29th July 2020, 04:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Give it time. Just like a fine wine or a great relationship that's already lasted 40yrs, you've got to put love and attention where possible for it to work effectively Justin. And in Network's case, their on to a winning formula. Plenty of youngsters will be interested in seeking out material from the past.
Old 29th July 2020, 04:39 PM
Cult Veteran

I feel like I'm losing the plot participating in this discussion haha

I'll go and put my feet up and watch a DVD...

Old 29th July 2020, 04:39 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Oh shut up!

I bet Boris Johnson has a winning formula every night when he goes to bed with his wife.

Like this? Share it using the links below!