Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree2586Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th November 2021, 11:17 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

From the Raygun newsletter -

The Raygun spoke to Network’s Tim Beddows after the announcement, who said the reaction to the news had been hugely positive and he’d been inundated with messages and queries about the catalogue and deal. “If anyone can breathe life into Hammer,” he noted, “we can.”

He said the long process of negotiation had started after Network negotiated to release the original TV take of Hammer classic The Woman In Black, a hugely successful lockdown release of what Beddows calls “one of the great lost films of the video age:, “The more we talked with Hammer [and CEO Simon Oakes] we realised we had much more in common than one film. He wasn’t aware of what we’d done since we set the label up 25 years ago – we do restorations, we’ve always been self sufficient and do them in-house. It fitted with what he wanted to do with the library." While Oakes will concentrate on new productions, Beddows noted, “we’re getting our hands dirty with the library, getting it into shape”. He added that with the restoration work, they’d be looking to remaster the entire catalogue and release everything they could onto Blu-ray. The restoration work would help preserve the library for the future too. “It’ll be in an exploitable shape for anything we want to do with it, and it will be safeguarded for the future," Beddows noted. The deal covers some 100 films, with 160 different titles in total taking in other shorts and TV episodes. “We'll release everything in one form or another.” He said the aim was to do justice to some of the jewels in the catalogue that had previously been available, as well as releasing titles that may have been out on DVD or VHS but had yet to see a Blu-ray bow, as well as finding obscure gems in there too. Beddows also noted how Network’s relationship with its customers meant the company could discover obscure gems and tell them ”you may not have heard of this, too may not have seen this, but it’s great”.'
Old 1st December 2021, 08:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

"The deal covers some 100 films..."

It would be good to have a definitive list of what these are? Because most of the horror titles are spread between other companies even in the UK.

I'd say at least 50 of the 100 are their early non-genre catalogue. There should be some interesting stuff among these e.g. Brit-noir, historicals, Room to Let, radio adaptations like Dick Barton etc...

For the genre titles Network need to put out releases at least as good as those already out in the US. Looking forward to seeing what they can do?

Last edited by Rob4; 1st December 2021 at 11:09 PM.
Old 1st December 2021, 11:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
"The deal covers some 100 films..."

It would be good to have a definitive list of what these are? Because most of the horror titles are spread between other companies even in the UK.

I'd say at least 50 of the 100 are their early non-genre catalogue. There should be some interesting stuff among these e.g. Brit-noir, historicals, Room to Let, radio adaptations like Dick Barton etc...

For the genre titles Network need to put out releases at least as good as those already out in the US. Looking forward to seeing what they can do?
It says they'll be remastering the entire catalogue. I wonder what this means exactly.

As for their quality you only need look at The Devil Ship Pirates to know they've upped their game. Dark Eyes of London takes it up another level entirely with their extras and packaging.
Old 2nd December 2021, 08:17 AM
Cult Acolyte

I think 'entire catalogue' is slightly misleading as it clearly doesn't mean all the films Hammer produced over the lifetime of the company. It means basically, everything they happen to own. But like I say, no one has ever compiled a complete list.

I got my Dark Eyes, and agree with you Dem, this is probably the best release Network have ever done for genre film title. The fact Network have their own in-house restoration depatment is cause to be hopeful that future releases are going to be as good.
Old 4th January 2022, 11:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Love the box of the new forthcoming Stingray release. Not actually a fan of the puppet stuff but the box looks great.

Old 14th January 2022, 06:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Network's winter sale is now on with up to 60% off 281 items.

https://networkonair.com/245-winter-...eid=b092d1a5fa
Old 14th January 2022, 06:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Just ordered the Blu of Tower of Terror for £3.75 delivered.

A cracking atmospheric little film with a genuinely suspenseful final third. Hook handed killer and all.
Old 14th January 2022, 08:11 PM
Cult Addict

I've been trying to do the same but I can't get checkout to work.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 14th January 2022, 11:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I've been trying to do the same but I can't get checkout to work.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
I always have to use Firefox to enable me to check out. Opera which i normally use 'hangs' and refuses to move to the second page of checking out.

Thought shit like that just happened to me with my old PC.
Old 15th January 2022, 08:54 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Just ordered the Blu of Tower of Terror for £3.75 delivered.

A cracking atmospheric little film with a genuinely suspenseful final third. Hook handed killer and all.
I was considering this one as well

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!