Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   101 Films (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/12955-101-films.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th May 2021 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark meakin (Post 651993)

There are no woods, in the desert set PLAY DIRTY !. JUst some decent performances from the likes of Michael Caine & Nigel Davenport. I like it myself, but each to their own.

Yeah that was me. Confusing it for Hornet's Nest.

MrBarlow 20th May 2021 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/atta...1&d=1621520396

On 5th July we're releasing haunted house hazing horror HELL NIGHT (1981) on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK, title 020 on the 101 Films Black Label. Directed by Tom DeSimone (Reform School Girls, Angel III: The Final Chapter), this slasher classic benefits from a talented young cast including Linda Blair (The Exorcist), Vincent Van Patten (Rock ‘N’ Roll High School), Peter Barton (Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter) and Kevin Brophy (The Seduction).

Special features include limited edition slipcase and booklet, with new writing on the film, plus interviews with cast and filmmakers.

HELL NIGHT
Released 5th July 2021
As an initiation rite into Alpha Sigma Rho fraternity, four pledges must spend a night in Garth Manor, twelve years to the day after the previous resident murdered his entire family. Two of the pledges, Marti and Jeff ignore the rumors that the now-deserted mansion is haunted by a crazed killer, until one by one, members of their group mysteriously disappear. Could this be a part of a fraternity prank ... or is a demented former tenant seeking revenge? When this seemingly innocent night turns deadly, these college students will do anything to survive Hell Night.

SPECIAL FEATURES
• Transfer from a 4K scan of the best surviving archival 35mm film print with minor SD inserts to replace missing footage • Limited edition booklet: Includes The Scare Blair Bunch: Hell Night, Linda Blair and the Rise of the American Sorority Slasher by Andrew Graves and Haunted Houses on Film by Barry Forshaw • Linda Blair: The Beauty of Horror • Hell Nights with Tom DeSimone • Peter Barton: Facing Fear • Producing Hell with Bruce Cohn Curtis • Writing Hell with Randy Feldman • Vincent Van Patten and Suki Goodwin in conversation • Kevin Brophy and Jenny Neumann in conversation • Gothic Design in Hell Night • Anatomy of the Death Scenes • On Location at Kimberly Crest • Theatrical Trailer • TV Spots • Radio Spot • Photo Gallery

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th May 2021 02:29 PM

Just saw that via email.

It's not the greatest film but i like it. Watched it loads of times during Halloween marathons. A definite purchase for me.

Lovely Linda *sigh*

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th May 2021 02:31 PM

It's actually missing the commentary from Linda Blair and Irwin Yablans. That's poor. Another i'll have to keep the dvd for.

MrBarlow 20th May 2021 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 652483)
Just saw that via email.

It's not the greatest film but i like it. Watched it loads of times during Halloween marathons. A definite purchase for me.

Lovely Linda *sigh*

It's one I'm upgrading to, cheesy as fcuk but one I enjoy

Justin101 20th May 2021 02:54 PM

I bought the DVD to watch 2 Halloweens ago and still haven't, I will probably buy this Blu though and watch it this year!

Justin101 20th May 2021 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 652484)
It's actually missing the commentary from Linda Blair and Irwin Yablans. That's poor. Another i'll have to keep the dvd for.

It looks like a direct port of the Scream Factory disc which does have the comm track so it might have just been missed off the blurb :)

davcol 20th May 2021 03:17 PM

I haven't seen Hell Night in about 30 years. The only thing I remember about it was Linda Blairs tight fitting corset.

MrBarlow 20th May 2021 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davcol (Post 652494)
I haven't seen Hell Night in about 30 years. The only thing I remember about it was Linda Blairs tight fitting corset.

That is certainly the best part of the film.

Rob4 20th May 2021 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davcol (Post 652494)

mmm Linda Blair... tight fitting corset... well, that's the fence sitting over with ;)

Nordicdusk 20th May 2021 04:01 PM

Hell Night is a lot of fun day one buy for me.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th May 2021 06:28 PM

****,I must be losing it!

I could've SWORE I owned this on Arrow....must be the Scream Factory disc....Did Arrow release it? :madgrin:

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th May 2021 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 652522)
****,I must be losing it!

I could've SWORE I owned this on Arrow....must be the Scream Factory disc....Did Arrow release it? :madgrin:

I wonder if you are confusing it with Happy Hell Night which 88 released.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th May 2021 06:35 PM

No....
Seen Hell Night on numerous occassions.

Could've swore Arrow released it just before Xmas a few years back.
Must've been the Scream Factory disc I bought.....

Bye bye to that too then!:happy:

Trashforcash 21st May 2021 11:37 AM

I absolutely love Hell Night and will get pre-ordering. My spanish blu isnt much cop and needs replacing anyway.

Great work by 101, they're turning out some nifty releases.

Justin101 21st May 2021 11:43 AM

Good news, the commentary track is included they just forgot to put it on the listings;

https://i.ibb.co/S0XhBQQ/101.png

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th June 2021 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 652525)
I wonder if you are confusing it with Happy Hell Night which 88 released.

THE INITIATION :doh::loco:

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th July 2021 11:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The 101 blu of Silent Night Deadly Night has two versions.

DISC ONE: Theatrical Version: 4K scan of the original camera negative

DISC TWO: Extended Unrated Version: 4K scan of the original camera negative with standard definition inserts

To anyone who has the disc. Is disc one the same as Arrow released on dvd years back or is it disc two?

Basically if it's disc two and all the kills are in standard definition then i'll simply stick to the Arrow dvd. However if the new inserts are over and above what we saw on Arrows release then that's pretty cool.

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th July 2021 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 655706)
The 101 blu of Silent Night Deadly Night has two versions.

DISC ONE: Theatrical Version: 4K scan of the original camera negative

DISC TWO: Extended Unrated Version: 4K scan of the original camera negative with standard definition inserts

To anyone who has the disc. Is disc one the same as Arrow released on dvd years back or is it disc two?

Basically if it's disc two and all the kills are in standard definition then i'll simply stick to the Arrow dvd. However if the new inserts are over and above what we saw on Arrows release then that's pretty cool.

So i take it nobody has the 101 release of this?

Ordered Hell Night today. Amazon have it up at £15.99 currently. It's £1 cheaper. Every little helps.

MrBarlow 12th July 2021 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 655764)
So i take it nobody has the 101 release of this?

Ordered Hell Night today. Amazon have it up at £15.99 currently. It's £1 cheaper. Every little helps.

I do have the boxset but not watched it yet.

Nice buy with Hell Night :woot::pop2:

Justin101 13th July 2021 06:25 AM

Sorry I never saw this, I do have it, it's a port of the scream factory disc, all of the special features and commentary track etc.. But yes, the extended version has VHS inserts, the original negative for the cut bits have been lost.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th July 2021 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 655776)
Sorry I never saw this, I do have it, it's a port of the scream factory disc, all of the special features and commentary track etc.. But yes, the extended version has VHS inserts, the original negative for the cut bits have been lost.

What i'm trying to get at is which of the versions was previously released by Arrow on dvd?

Justin101 13th July 2021 11:03 AM

I'm not entirely sure that how you worded the question :lol:
However, according to DVD Compare, Arrow released the unrated cut with the SD inserts.

R2 United Kingdom- Arrow Films - No Cuts - Unrated Version (81:21 PAL)

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th July 2021 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 655785)
I'm not entirely sure that how you worded the question :lol:
However, according to DVD Compare, Arrow released the unrated cut with the SD inserts.

R2 United Kingdom- Arrow Films - No Cuts - Unrated Version (81:21 PAL)

So basically disc one of the 101 Films release is shorn of all the best bits ie - the graphic violence and therefore worthless?

And the violence is still standard edition rather than HD so there's no point upgrading whatsoever.

Justin101 13th July 2021 11:49 AM

Yeah, unless you're interested in the multiple special features which are all produced by Shout Factory, they're very good. Also the actual film aside from the inserts has been remastered and looks great.

I'd personally prefer the bluray over the DVD as it's a great set, but if you're in two minds you will be able to get it discounted in the future.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th July 2021 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 655789)
Yeah, unless you're interested in the multiple special features which are all produced by Shout Factory, they're very good. Also the actual film aside from the inserts has been remastered and looks great.

I'd personally prefer the bluray over the DVD as it's a great set, but if you're in two minds you will be able to get it discounted in the future.

It was following viewing Going to Pieces the other day again. There's a few minutes spent on the film and it's furore so i thought a nice hd print would be good to watch this Christmas but if all the best bits are still inserts it makes it a bit pointless as it would be even more jarring dropping from 4k to video quality than it would be from dvd to video.

Looked it up on Movie Censorship. It says Shout replaced whole scenes if there was an insert to be made not simply added the inserts.
Quote:

Unfortunately, there is a little flawed because the Unrated footage is not in HD - those are SD inserts from and the lack of quality (compared to the rest of the movie that is) is quite obvious which also explains the quality of the screenshots of the Unrated footage. Speaking of which, if some Unrated footage had to be added in a scene, the entire shot has been replaced - no exceptions. This means the picture can change within a scene but never within a single shot.

I watched Top Sensation again last week. Good film but the inserted scenes were distracting. Maybe it's just me that thinks of them that way.

Justin101 13th July 2021 12:24 PM

It's not just you no, and the next time I watch Silent Night I do plan on watching the Theatrical version as I don't think the trimmed effects shots are all that good to be honest, you can't see what happens most of the time anyway - I did find it distracting.

Regardless though, the 101 Films BD is really good, I bought the box set with part 2 to watch at Christmas last year :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th July 2021 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 655793)
It's not just you no, and the next time I watch Silent Night I do plan on watching the Theatrical version as I don't think the trimmed effects shots are all that good to be honest, you can't see what happens most of the time anyway - I did find it distracting.

Regardless though, the 101 Films BD is really good, I bought the box set with part 2 to watch at Christmas last year :)

Have you seen Part 2? Is it any good?

Thinking about it you may have missed a comma or two out, and you have part 2 to watch this year after buying it last year.

Justin101 13th July 2021 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 655794)
Have you seen Part 2? Is it any good?

Thinking about it you may have missed a comma or two out, and you have part 2 to watch this year after buying it last year.

No, I watched them both last year, I did mean that I bought the box with both films in it to watch last Christmas :p

Yeah, part 2 is rubbish haha, but entertaining.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th July 2021 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 655796)
No, I watched them both last year, I did mean that I bought the box with both films in it to watch last Christmas :p

Yeah, part 2 is rubbish haha, but entertaining.

I have part 3 in a set along with Slaughter High, Repossessed and My Best Friend is a Vampire and surprisingly (or not) it's easily the worst of the four films. Terrible in fact.

With part 2 being 'rubbish' and full of flashbacks, i might just buy 88's New Years Evil and forget new Xmas themed horror this year :lol:

Justin101 13th July 2021 02:26 PM

88's Christmas Evil is a great release!

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th July 2021 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 655803)
88's Christmas Evil is a great release!

I've got that on dvd already. I'm not that big a fan of it to be honest. It's okay but not one i'd want to upgrade.

Now Don't Open Till Christmas is something else altogether. I'd love to upgrade that one.

davcol 14th July 2021 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 655805)
I've got that on dvd already. I'm not that big a fan of it to be honest. It's okay but not one i'd want to upgrade.

Now Don't Open Till Christmas is something else altogether. I'd love to upgrade that one.

I believe Mondo Macabro have put out a B.D of this. I still have their old DVD release somewhere.

Justin101 16th July 2021 12:08 PM

I'm personally pretending like this isn't happening, but there is a summer sale on at 101

https://101-films-store.com/collections/sale

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th July 2021 12:28 PM

Just been there myself and ordered Pledge Night and Raw Force. :woot:

Justin101 16th July 2021 01:25 PM

I was surprised to see them discounted so soon after release. The 'Black Label' ones don't seem to be in the offer though, I would have actually bought Tammy and the T Rex even though it's shite :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th July 2021 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 655990)
I was surprised to see them discounted so soon after release. The 'Black Label' ones don't seem to be in the offer though, I would have actually bought Tammy and the T Rex even though it's shite :lol:

Black Labe l ones only drop to a tenner which is still a fiver too much for Tammy and the TRex.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd July 2021 01:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Both September's Black Label releases appeal to me.

101 Films presents Penelope Spheeris' searing drama Suburbia (1983), title 021 on the 101 Films Black Label. Starring real-life punks rather than trained actors, and featuring live performances from punk bands D.I., T.S.O.L. and the Vandals, Suburbia is an authentic and compassionate study of the Los Angeles punk rock scene in the early 1980s, and a bleak indictment of the American suburban experiment.

Evan and his younger brother leave their broken home in an attempt to escape their alcoholic mother. They fall in with "The Rejected" (aka T.R.), a group of punks who live as squatters in an abandoned shack by the side of the highway. With the T.R.s, the boys find a new family. But their new family will be tested when they become the target of "Citizens Against Crime," a group of unhappy suburbanites.

BRAND NEW EXTRAS
• Interview with director Penelope Spheeris
• Limited edition booklet: Includes Punks in Suburbia by John Towlson and Before Suburbia: Gangs on Film by Barry Forshaw

ADDITIONAL EXTRAS
• Commentary with director Penelope Spheeris
• Commentary with director Penelope Spheeris, producer Bert Dragin and actor Jennifer Clay
• Still Gallery
• TV Spots
• Trailer

101 Films presents The Boys Next Door (1985), a violent and disturbing crime thriller from director Penelope Spheeris (The Decline of Western Civilisation) and screenwriters Glen Morgan & James Wong (Final Destination, The X-Files).

Bo Richards (Charlie Sheen) has trouble talking to girls. Roy Alston (Maxwell Caulfield) is filled with an uncontrollable rage. On the weekend of their high-school graduation, the two suburban outcasts head for Los Angeles and embark on a violent murder spree that shocks the nation. But these young men are neither hardened criminals or foaming-at-the-mouth maniacs. They are simply The Boys Next Door.

BRAND NEW EXTRAS
Limited edition booklet: Includes Living with the Boys Next Door by John Towlson and AssassiNation: Cold-blooded Rebels and the Death of the American Dream by Rich Johnson

ADDITIONAL EXTRAS
Audio commentary with director Penelope Spheeris and actor Maxwell Caulfield
Blind Rage: Interview with Stephen Thrower, author of Nightmare USA
Both Sides of the Law: Interview with actors Maxwell Caulfield and Christopher McDonald
Give Us Your Money: Interviews with street band performers Texacala Jones and Tequila Mockingbird
Caveman Day: Cinemaniacs interview with director Penelope Spheeris and actor Maxwell Caulfield
Tales from the End Zone: Interview with actor Kenneth Cortland
The Psychotronic Tourist – The Boys Next Door
Alternate Opening Title Sequence & Extended Scenes (Silent)
Trailer

Justin101 22nd July 2021 01:34 PM

I'm planning to order both of those as well, they've been on my radar for a while. Suburbia specifically since before DVD, not sure why I never picked it up on import.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd July 2021 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 656311)
I'm planning to order both of those as well, they've been on my radar for a while. Suburbia specifically since before DVD, not sure why I never picked it up on import.

I really want to se the live footage of TSOL in that film.