Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   101 Films (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/12955-101-films.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th March 2022 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 668051)
I love the artwork but not the price lol

Twenty five quid for a booklet you can't read and six little art cards is a joke.

It's a crap film too. Saw it at the cinema. We all said it should have been called Johnny Moronic.

Justin101 10th March 2022 03:51 PM

I think I still have the DVD somewhere...

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th March 2022 04:30 PM

Film's shite anyway.......stick to the horrors and cult 101!

Justin101 10th March 2022 05:06 PM

It IS Cult though. And to be fair 101 has never been a horror label, rather a label that releases horror, they have plenty of sci-fi and other weird stuff.

Stephen@Cult Labs 10th March 2022 05:46 PM

Well I like Johnny Mnemonic. Not buying it though as I already have the German release.

J Harker 10th March 2022 05:55 PM

I like the film but hate that artwork.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th March 2022 02:26 PM

I don't think I've seen the film. Fortunately, it's on Prime, so I'll be able to watch on a 'try before you buy' basis before deciding whether I a) want to own it and b) am willing to spend that much money on it.

Susan Foreman 14th March 2022 08:34 PM

'Godmonster of Indian Flats' (1973) - Pre-order available from 101 Films direct - £15:00

Release date: April 18

"Part of the American Genre Film Archive range.

The initial run comes with Limited Edition 'O-ring' packaging.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back to the petting zoo! From the singular mind of infamous artist Fredric C. Hobbs (ALABAMA’S GHOST, ROSELAND), this is the story of an eight-foot-tall toxic sheep monster that blows up gas stations, smashes crooked politicians, and terrorizes stoners.

In the words of BASKET CASE filmmaker Frank Henenlotter, “Get the straight jackets ready!” From the surreal “wild west” locations to the outrageous monster effects and the infamous scene where the Godmonster crashes a childrens' picnic, this is easily the most inexplicably deranged creature feature in the history of forever.
"

Special Features
  • New 4K transfer from the only surviving 35mm theatrical print
  • Rampaging monster trailers from the AGFA vaults
  • Berserker shorts from the Something Weird vaults
  • Bonus Movie: THE LEGEND OF BIGFOOT (1975), a new 2K scan from an original theatrical print
  • Reversible cover art with illustration by Shana Cleveland

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th March 2022 08:37 PM

Picked up ZODIAC KILLER and SHE FREAK today=love these AGFA releases.

Susan Foreman 14th March 2022 08:39 PM

'The Scare Film Archives Vol.1 - Drug Stories' - Pre-order available from 101 Films direct - £15:00

What’s the best way to prevent young people from destroying their lives in a downward spiral of drug-fueled jubilation? Obviously, the answer is sentient LSD tabs, spiders on speed, and an ex-junkie named Florrie Fisher (the real-life inspiration for Amy Sedaris’s Jerri Blank character on STRANGERS WITH CANDY) berating them into submission. THE SCARE FILM ARCHIVES VOLUME 1: DRUG STORIES! collects the best-of-the-best educational drug-scare films from the twentieth century. Lovingly curated from Something Weird’s vaults, AGFA and Something Weird are thrilled to present 2K preservations of these bad trips, bummers, and flip-outs, all from original 16mm prints that were inflicted upon children in classrooms across the USA.

New 2K preservations of these uncut scare film classics:
"
  • BEYOND LSD
  • THE BOTTLE AND THE THROTTLE
  • CURIOUS ALICE
  • THE DISTANT DRUMMER
  • DRUGS, DRINKING, AND DRIVING
  • LSD: INSIGHT OR INSANITY
  • LSD 25
  • NARCOTICS THE DECISION: GOOFBALLS AND TEA
  • NONE FOR THE ROAD
  • THE TRIP BACK with Florrie Fisher
  • USERS ARE LOSERS
  • Plus: DRUG STORIES! NARCOTIC NIGHTMARES AND HALLUCINOGENIC HELLRIDES -- A full-length mixtape from the AGFA team!

Graveyard 14th March 2022 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 668267)
Picked up ZODIAC KILLER and SHE FREAK today=love these AGFA releases.

I need She Freak, but will wait to get a better price on it, atm it's to high for my wallet :happy:

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th March 2022 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 668266)
'Godmonster of Indian Flats' (1973) - Pre-order available from 101 Films direct - £15:00

Just when you thought it was safe to go back to the petting zoo! From the singular mind of infamous artist Fredric C. Hobbs (ALABAMA’S GHOST, ROSELAND), this is the story of an eight-foot-tall toxic sheep monster that blows up gas stations, smashes crooked politicians, and terrorizes stoners.

In the words of BASKET CASE filmmaker Frank Henenlotter, “Get the straight jackets ready!” From the surreal “wild west” locations to the outrageous monster effects and the infamous scene where the Godmonster crashes a childrens' picnic, this is easily the most inexplicably deranged creature feature in the history of forever.
"

Special Features
  • New 4K transfer from the only surviving 35mm theatrical print
  • Rampaging monster trailers from the AGFA vaults
  • Berserker shorts from the Something Weird vaults
  • Bonus Movie: THE LEGEND OF BIGFOOT (1975), a new 2K scan from an original theatrical print
  • Reversible cover art with illustration by Shana Cleveland

This should have been the disc with Godmonster of whatever the bonus feature.

nicholasrope 8th April 2022 09:46 PM

Seeing posts apparently they are releasing Caged Heat

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th April 2022 04:06 PM

Bought Crystal Lake Memories today-looking forward to it.:nod:

Susan Foreman 6th May 2022 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholasrope (Post 669241)
Seeing posts apparently they are releasing Caged Heat

'Caged Heat' (1974) - pre-order available from 101 Films direct - £15:00

Release date: June 13

"A ‘70s exploitation classic, released on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK! Thrown into the penal hell of Connorville, petty criminal Jacqueline (Erica Gavin, Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls) must fight against the ruthless inmates, a cruel warden (Barbara Steele, Dark Shadows) and a depraved staff. Eventually she forms an uneasy friendship with two hardened inmates. When these three unite, they find themselves on a sexy and violent adventure seeking escape, money and revenge. Also starring Roberta Collins (Death Race 2000) and Rainbeaux Smith (Massacre at Central High), and written and directed by Jonathan Demme (The Silence of the Lambs) in his directorial debut"

Special Features
  • 2K scan from the Original Camera Negative
  • Commentary with writer/director Jonathan Demme, director of photography Tak Fujimoto and actress Erica Gavin
  • Leonard Maltin Interviews Roger Corman
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Still Gallery

Susan Foreman 6th May 2022 09:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
'Crazy Mama' (1975) - pre-order available from 101 Films direct - £15:00

Release date: June 13

"A ‘70s exploitation classic, released on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK! Academy Award winner Cloris Leachman stars in Crazy Mama as Melba Stokes, a middle-aged woman who runs a California beauty parlour with her mother Sheba (Ann Sothern) and teenage daughter Cheryl (Linda Purl). When the shop is repossessed, the three ladies take a road trip from California to the family home in Arkansas that turns into a crime spree. Also starring Donny Most (Happy Days), Jim Backus and Stuart Whitman. Directed by Academy Award winner Jonathan Demme (The Silence of the Lambs)."

Special Features
  • Commentary with director Jonathan Demme and Roger Corman
  • Interview with Jonathan Demme and Roger Corman
  • Theatrical Trailer and TV Spots

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th May 2022 10:03 PM

Two for the sales 18 months from now at £6 each.

Susan Foreman 12th May 2022 12:59 PM

'Rock 'N' Roll High School' (1979) - Limited Edition Blu-ray pre-order available from 101Films direct - £16.99

Release date: June 27

"101 Films presents cult musical comedy Rock 'N' Roll High School, available on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK. From director Allan Arkush and executive producer Roger Corman, this joyous teen classic is the ultimate teacher of the Three Rs: Rock, Rebellion, and Ramones!

1979: Riff Randell (P.J. Soles, Halloween) is the rockingest rebel at Vince Lombardi High. Evelyn Togar (Mary Woronov, Night of the Comet) is the strict new principal with plans to rule the school as her own personal dictatorship. Meanwhile the Ramones are the hottest band around. When these forces of nature collide, Lombardi High will never be the same! Striking back against Togar's record burnings and iron-fisted discipline, Riff leads a revolt that rocks the roof right off the school’s hallowed halls!"

Special features:
  • Limited Edition Booklet: Includes 'Mindless Authority and Rebellious Youth' by Jon Towlson and 'I Got No Cerebellum' by Jimmy Martin
  • 4K Scan from the Original Camera Negative
  • Class Of '79: 40 Years Of Rock 'N' Roll High School, featuring interviews with filmmakers and cast
  • Commentary with director Allan Arkush, producer Mike Finnell and screenwriter Richard Whitley
  • Commentary with Executive producer Roger Corman and actress Dey Young
  • Commentary with Allan Arkush and actors P.J. Soles and Clint Howard
  • Commentary with screenwriter Richard Whitley and Russ Dvonch
  • Back To School: A Retrospective, with interviews from Allan Arkush, Roger Corman and more
  • Staying After Class: An Interview With Actors P.J. Soles, Vincent Van Patten and Dey Young
  • Interview with Roger Corman conducted by Leonard Maltin
  • Interview with Allan Arkush including a look at rare, behind-the-scenes stills
  • Audio outtakes from the Roxy
  • Original Radio Ads and TV Spots
  • Theatrical Trailer

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th May 2022 01:01 PM

Rock N' Roll High School - Fantastic.

I was on the verge of buying this on dvd last year until my dvd player gave up the ghost and Blu-rays took over.

Shame there isn't a doc about the Ramones on the disc.

Justin101 12th May 2022 01:13 PM

I've always wanted to watch that one :) :rockon:

Susan Foreman 12th May 2022 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 670482)
I've always wanted to watch that one :) :rockon:

It's a great, fun movie

Highly recommended

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 670478)
Shame there isn't a doc about the Ramones on the disc.

Although there isn't a documentary, the release does include 'Audio outtakes from the Roxy'. The DVD release contains something called 'The Ramones Live: 14-12-78' which was a concert played at the Roxy, so I am assuming it is the same thing

Song listing: Blitzkrieg Bop / Teenage Lobotomy / I Wanna Be Sedated / California Sun / Pinhead / She's the One / Sheena Is a Punk Rocker

Stephen@Cult Labs 19th May 2022 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 668050)
'Johnny Mnemonic' (1995) - Pre-order available from 101 Films direct - £24:99

Release date: April 25

"101 Films presents Robert Longo's cyberpunk classic Johnny Mnemonic (1995), released on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK. Adapted for the screen by visionary writer William Gibson from his own short story, and starring Keanu Reeves in a role that paved the way for his lead role in the Matrix series, Johnny Mnemonic is a futuristic thrill-ride that will blow your mind.

It’s the year 2021 and Johnny (Keanu Reeves) is a data courier with a secret: he is carrying a dangerous stash of information in his mind and must race against time, money and gangsters to deliver the package and save himself. Accompanied by physically enhanced bodyguard Jane (Dina Meyer), Johnny sets out to acquire the passwords he needs to save himself. Worse yet, he is hunted by gangster Shinji (Denis Akiyama) and businessman Takahashi (Takeshi), both of whom seek the data Johnny possesses.
"

Brand New Extras:
  • Audio commentary by film critic Rich Johnson
  • Limited Edition Booklet: Features 'Future Proof: A Cyberpunk 101' by Rich Johnson and 'The Semiotic Ghosts of William Gibson' by Brian J. Robb
  • Limited Edition packaging with new artwork by Lucas Peverill
  • Set of six art cards - reproductions of Spanish lobby cards
Additional Extras:
  • Tomorrow Calling (1993), a short film adaptation of William Gibson's short story The Gernsback Continuum
  • Commentary with director Robert Longo
  • Japanese Director's cut (SD)
  • Featurette
  • Behind the Scenes
  • Interviews from the shoot
  • Music video
  • Trailer

Pal transfer. 101 have dropped the ball big time with this.

Don't waste your money.

MrBarlow 19th May 2022 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 670770)

Don't waste your money.

Funnily enough this film is available on YouTube for free

Stephen@Cult Labs 19th May 2022 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 670773)
Funnily enough this film is available on YouTube for free

https://media3.giphy.com/media/mFoCz...HMsQ/giphy.gif

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th May 2022 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 670770)

Don't waste your money.

Sounds to be an upscaled dvd at 1080i with too fast a frame rate to boot.

I'm not the greatest fan of the film and am happy with the Fox dvd but i feel sorry for those who bought it because it was a premium price for an inferior product.

J Harker 20th May 2022 11:21 AM

The 101 artwork is vile, that alone makes me not want to touch it. I haven't seen the film since the vhs days though.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

gag 6th June 2022 01:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Saw this on Twitter,
We've been informed that copies of
the WYRMWOOD 1 & 2 Blu-ray were
sent out to retailers with disc 1
missing, and a handful was sold
before retailers were advised to
remove from sale last week.

I tend to find it's becoming the norm these days for companies to make mistakes, irrelevant to what it is, disc fault, film fault, etc etc.

Susan Foreman 9th June 2022 08:00 PM

'Treasure of the Ninja' (1987) - Pre-order available from 101 Films direct - £15:00

Release date: july 18

Meet your new favorite action hero. Throughout the 1980s, Black filmmaker and martial artist William Lee wrote, produced, directed, and starred in dozens of D.I.Y. action epics -- all shot on Super 8 in Ohio and New York City. From TREASURE OF THE NINJA (1987, Lee’s most ambitious and beloved movie) to THE NEW CHINESE CONNECTION (1980, an homage to Bruce Lee -- William Lee’s idol), these inclusive and explosive works serve as an inspiration to anyone with a dream, pulse, or appreciation for spinning kicks. AGFA + Bleeding Skull! are elated to bring the best-of-the-best in William Lee’s early filmography to a wider audience for the first time ever, complete with brand new transfers and a revelatory stack of previously unreleased films
"

Special Features
  • Bonus movie: DRAGON VS. NINJA (1984), previously unreleased and transferred in 2K from the original Super 8 elements
  • TREASURE OF THE NINJA: New transfer from the original 3/4” master tape
  • TREASURE OF THE NINJA: Commentary track with William Lee and Bleeding Skull’s Annie Choi and Joseph A. Ziemba
  • Short: THE NEW CHINESE CONNECTION (1980), previously unreleased and transferred in 2K from the original Super 8 elements
  • Shorts: the WILLIE JACK series, all previously unreleased and transferred in 2K from the original Super 8 elements
  • Reversible cover artwork

Susan Foreman 9th June 2022 08:05 PM

'The Curious Dr Humpp' (1969) - Pre-order available from 101 Films direct - £15:00

Release date: July 18

THE CURIOUS DR. HUMPP isn’t a movie - it’s a rite of passage. Easily one of the most brainbreaking sensory overloads in exploitation history, the story follows Dr. Humpp and his army of grotesque monsters as they kidnap couples and drain their “blood forces of sex” to keep the doctor eternally young. Directed by the prolific Emilio Vieyra in Argentina, this movie combines artful gothic horror with unhinged sex, comic book pulp, and a talking brain in a jar. Plus a monster who plays the guitar.

Basically, this is what might have happened if Mario Bava collaborated with Doris Wishman after an acid binge. AGFA + Something Weird are thrilled to present a brand new restoration of this iconic sex-horror classic, complete with a new commentary track from filmmaker Frank Henenlotter (BASKET CASE). Plus LA VENGANZA DEL SEXO, Vieyra’s original “horror” cut of THE CURIOUS DR. HUMPP in its original Spanish language with English subtitles.
"

Special Features
  • Newly scanned & restored in 2k from its 35mm internegative
  • Commentary track with filmmaker Frank Henenlotter (BASKET CASE)
  • Bonus Movie: LA VENGANZA DEL SEXO - 2K restoration of the original cut of THE CURIOUS DR. HUMPP from a 35mm fine grain lab print
  • Brain damaged shorts and trailers from Dr. Humpp’s laboratory
  • Reversible cover artwork

Susan Foreman 18th June 2022 03:10 PM

'The Brain' (1988) - Pre-order available from 101 Films direct - £16:99

Release date: August 1st

"101 Films presents cult sci-fi horror The Brain (1988), an extraterrestrial overdose of cerebral terror and media mind control, available on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK.

Imagine a pulsating mass of grey matter, expanding in size and strength as it takes control of human minds and devours human bodies. It could never happen, right? Just watch Independent Thinking, starring Dr. Anthony Blakely (David Gale, Re-Animator), a hot TV programme. But as the show’s ratings continue to soar, so does the suicide and murder rate among its viewers. What they don’t know is that Dr. Blakely has teamed with an alien brain and plans to gain control of all humanity.
"

Special Features
  • Limited Edition Booklet: Includes ‘Ed Trauma’ by Andrew Graves and ‘Thoughts for Food: TV Terrors and other prevalent anxieties in The Brain’ by Liam Hathaway (NEW)
  • Sounds of the Mind: Paul Zaza on the Brain (NEW)
  • 2K Scan of the original negative
  • Commentary with director Ed Hunt Commentary with composer Paul Zaza
  • Commentary with actor Tom Bresnahan
  • Canada on the Mind – An interview with actress Cynthia Preston
  • From Monster Kid to Monster Man – An interview with actor George Buza
  • Brain Art – An interview with assistant art director Michael Borthwick
  • Food For Thought: A Love Letter To The Brain
  • Still Gallery

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th June 2022 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 672030)
'The Brain' (1988) - Pre-order available from 101 Films direct - £16:99

Release date: August 1st

"101 Films presents cult sci-fi horror The Brain (1988), an extraterrestrial overdose of cerebral terror and media mind control, available on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK.

Imagine a pulsating mass of grey matter, expanding in size and strength as it takes control of human minds and devours human bodies. It could never happen, right? Just watch Independent Thinking, starring Dr. Anthony Blakely (David Gale, Re-Animator), a hot TV programme. But as the show’s ratings continue to soar, so does the suicide and murder rate among its viewers. What they don’t know is that Dr. Blakely has teamed with an alien brain and plans to gain control of all humanity.
"

I've never seen it, but that sounds like a lot of fun, so I've just pre-ordered it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st July 2022 01:23 PM

There's a summer sale over at 101 Films until 31st July.

https://101-films-store.com/

No Black Label releases in it.

MrBarlow 1st July 2022 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 672607)
There's a summer sale over at 101 Films until 31st July.

https://101-films-store.com/

No Black Label releases in it.

Thanks Dem, ordered

I am Wrath
Toy Soldiers
Spacehunter

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st July 2022 04:53 PM

I'm not sure there's anything i'm after. Only a couple of titles added since their last sale.

Might get Plunkett and Maclaine, The 51st State, Nemesis box set and Two Minute Warning at some point but none are vital.

MrBarlow 1st July 2022 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 672628)
I'm not sure there's anything i'm after. Only a couple of titles added since their last sale.

Might get Plunkett and Maclaine, The 51st State, Nemesis box set and Two Minute Warning at some point but none are vital.

I got the Nemesis boxset last year...I think, decent 6 hours well spent doing them back to back.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st July 2022 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 672636)
I got the Nemesis boxset last year...I think, decent 6 hours well spent doing them back to back.

Ah, okay. I've only seen the first one. Got it on a cheap dvd which actually looks okay and i quite like it. It's German director Oliver Gruner isn't it and a total sci-fi action blast from start to finish.

MrBarlow 1st July 2022 06:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 672637)
Ah, okay. I've only seen the first one. Got it on a cheap dvd which actually looks okay and i quite like it. It's German director Oliver Gruner isn't it and a total sci-fi action blast from start to finish.

I certainly enjoyed it but from the second to the fourth it's female body builder Sue Price and not a bad looking lady.

Mansonsblood 2nd July 2022 07:37 PM

The BBFC list Lady Street Fighter as cut but give no details. There's nothing on Melon Farmers about it. Anyone know what was cut? I'm sure 101 said there was no problem with it...

Justin101 2nd July 2022 09:22 PM

https://www.bbfc.co.uk/release/lady-...lgtmtawmdi5nju

It’s worded a big vaguely but it makes it sound like they just cut the MPAA ratings card because it’s not a BBFC rating.

Susan Foreman 7th July 2022 06:18 PM

'SOMETIMES AUNT MARTHA DOES DREADFUL THINGS' (1971) - Blu-ray pre-order available from 101 Films direct - RRP £15:00

Release date: August 15

"Part of the American Genre Film Archive range

The initial run comes with Limited Edition 'O-ring' packaging

Dropping somewhere between PINK FLAMINGOS, BLOOD FEAST, and an episode of THE BRADY BUNCH on acid, SOMETIMES AUNT MARTHA DOES DREADFUL THINGS is a histrionic psychodrama that could only have originated in the alternate dimension known as Florida. After robbing a bank in Baltimore, cross-dressing Paul (aka Aunt Martha) and his partner Stanley hide out in a Florida town. But it’s only a matter of time before Paul’s paranoia forces him to embark on a demented killing spree. AGFA is thrilled to present one of the most unforgettable exploitation movies of all time - and an overlooked chapter of early queer cinema - preserved from the only 35mm theatrical print in existence."

Special Features
  • 2K preservation from the only 35mm theatrical print in existence
  • Commentary with queer film historian Elizabeth Purchell + AGFA’s Bret Berg
  • Bonus Movie: THE DRAG QUEEN’S BALL
  • Shorts: GAY-IN III, CAUGHT IN THE CAN
  • Trailers: GAY LIBERATION, LUSTING HOURS, MY THIRD WIFE GEORGE THE QUEEN, SINS OF RACHEL
  • Reversible cover