Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   101 Films (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/12955-101-films.html)

Stephen@Cult Labs 28th October 2015 08:02 PM

101 Films - Cult Movie Collection
 
Asked 101 on Facebook if there was any chance of them offering reversible art without ratings/banners etc, as I think they have some of the "busiest" covers out there, and they had this to say...

"We're looking into different artwork and special packaging for future catalogue titles. We'll confirm details nearer release dates"

Nice to know that they're at least looking into different things.

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th October 2015 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 466411)
Asked 101 on Facebook if there was any chance of them offering reversible art without ratings/banners etc, as I think they have some of the "busiest" covers out there, and they just had this to say...

"We're looking into different artwork and special packaging for future catalogue titles. We'll confirm details nearer release dates"

Nice to know that they're at least looking into different things.

Let's hope they can. After all it may be the difference between the range becoming collectible or dying a death.

harryd 29th October 2015 04:04 PM

These were on offer at Fopp for a fiver each last month so I picked up all of the blu-rays. Honestly out of my collection they're probably the least appealing to me but on watching a few I've been pleasantly surprised. Specifically I enjoyed Ironheart quite a bit and Sabotage was surprisingly good. Also the Robert Englund version of Phantom of the Opera is well worth a watch.

All in all not the most amazing films but a lot are of the kind that are unlikely to see another blu-ray release so worth a pop if the price is right.. I watch on a projector with 110' screen and have no complaints about quality but then I'm not the most fussy of people so others may think otherwise.

EDIT: Black Eagle is an absolute turd. Avoid at all costs

Boo Radley 29th October 2015 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryd (Post 466505)
EDIT: Black Eagle is an absolute turd. Avoid at all costs

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

harryd 29th October 2015 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boo Radley (Post 466528)
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol: It really is a stinker!

Rik 3rd November 2015 10:14 AM

Flash sale

MacBlayne 3rd November 2015 11:08 AM

The Nemesis films were in 2.35:1. At least according to Albert Pyun.

So, it begs the question - why are 101 Films using incorrect aspect ratios? I'm not expecting full remasters from them - just the correct aspect ratio in 1080p encode.

Looks like it's the German BD set for me then.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd November 2015 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 467037)

I wonder why it's just a sale on blu's?

Pity really as some of their dvd's are quite interesting, such as Hornet's Nest for example.

TJ Doc 3rd November 2015 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 467040)
The Nemesis films were in 2.35:1. At least according to Albert Pyun.

So, it begs the question - why are 101 Films using incorrect aspect ratios? I'm not expecting full remasters from them - just the correct aspect ratio in 1080p encode.

Looks like it's the German BD set for me then.

The first film is an open matte presentation so at least there's no cropping. I don't know if it's the same case with the sequels, but I would assume they're also open matte given that they went straight to VHS.

caps-a-holic.com

Personally, I'd be inclined to get the 101 disc just to avoid giving Oliver Krekel any money.

MacBlayne 3rd November 2015 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ Doc (Post 467047)
The first film is an open matte presentation so at least there's no cropping. I don't know if it's the same case with the sequels, but I would assume they're also open matte given that they went straight to VHS.

caps-a-holic.com

Personally, I'd be inclined to get the 101 disc just to avoid giving Oliver Krekel any money.

I think they're all open-matte. However, I'm a stickler for aspect-ratio so unless I measure the TV and apply black tape over the top and bottom, I'm afraid I'll have to go with the German release.

I've seen some of Krekel's posts on the aforementioned Blu-Ray.com forum. He does come across as a delightful character.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.