Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   101 Films (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/12955-101-films.html)

J Harker 26th February 2017 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 522670)
Or being misleading on their cover of Exterminator 2, saying that it's the uncut version when in fact that it's actually the R-rated cut which was further cut by the BBFC. :nono:

Really mr420? Didn't realise that, thought it was meant to be one of their better releases. Really are an half arse setup aren't they. Thanks for the heads up.

Stephen@Cult Labs 26th February 2017 09:16 AM

I'd be annoyed if the original X-rated version had been released somewhere and then 101 tried to say the R version was uncut, but they didn't. It's the same version released worldwide, with all the BBFC cuts restored.

J Harker 26th February 2017 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 522680)
I'd be annoyed if the original X-rated version had been released somewhere and then 101 tried to say the R version was uncut, but they didn't. It's the same version released worldwide, with all the BBFC cuts restored.

So it is the longest cut available then Stephen?

mr 420 26th February 2017 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 522680)

But to fans like us who know the difference it is a pretty misleading thing to say. I had been wanting to see the uncut version since watching the old vhs in the '80s. So when I was in HMV and I saw it been advertised as the uncut version, I grabbed it off the shelf. I was not happy when I got home.

Rob4 26th February 2017 10:08 AM

i always find it good policy to go over to Melon Farmers before buying anything, unless it is a label i know i can trust. it clearly states on MF that Exterminator 2 is the 'Best available' rather than the full pre-mpaa version.

mr 420 26th February 2017 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 522678)
Really mr420? Didn't realise that, thought it was meant to be one of their better releases. Really are an half arse setup aren't they. Thanks for the heads up.

It's still worth a watch, J. If you're a fan of the Cannon studio from the '80s, then you can't go wrong as it has the Cannon neon/pastel colour scheme (ala Breakin' and Ninja 3:The Domination for example) and Mario Van Peebles completely OTT gang leader portrayal. :cool:

Rob4 26th February 2017 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 522686)
i always find it good policy to go over to Melon Farmers before buying anything, unless it is a label i know i can trust. it clearly states on MF that Exterminator 2 is the 'Best available' rather than the full pre-mpaa version.

i should say that sometimes you have to settle for the 'best available' e.g. The Hills Have Eyes - its very unlikely the pre-mpaa elements will ever turn up. I've not researched it but that might be the case with The Exterminator 2 also?

J Harker 26th February 2017 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 522687)
It's still worth a watch, J. If you're a fan of the Cannon studio from the '80s, then you can't go wrong as it has the Cannon neon/pastel colour scheme (ala Breakin' and Ninja 3:The Domination for example) and Mario Van Peebles completely OTT gang leader portrayal. :cool:

If it's the best available that's different mr420. I was under the impression from your original post that there may be a longer cut potentially available.

mr 420 26th February 2017 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 522688)
i should say that sometimes you have to settle for the 'best available' e.g. The Hills Have Eyes - its very unlikely the pre-mpaa elements will ever turn up. I've not researched it but that might be the case with The Exterminator 2 also?

A good example of the whole R versus X versions is contained on the Robocop special edition DVD where you can choose between the two. While preparing the laserdisc for Criterion way back in the day, Verhoven (I think?, the full story is in an edition of Video Watchdog and I have not read it in a long time) managed to find the footage that had been trimmed for a R rating and was able to reinsert it and it looks a lot better than the R1 restored The My Bloody Valentine DVD. :nod:

Stephen@Cult Labs 26th February 2017 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 522681)
So it is the longest cut available then Stephen?

Yep.

mr 420 26th February 2017 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 522690)
If it's the best available that's different mr420. I was under the impression from your original post that there may be a longer cut potentially available.

Sorry, I should of made it clearer. I'm just annoyed as I've been a fan of the film since it came out and when I was in HMV and saw it advertised as "never before seen uncut version" (as stated on the cover) I stupidly assumed that's what it was, when in fact that was still the R rated cut. It just reminds me of Vipco and their '91 re-release of Zombie Flesh Eaters.

J Harker 26th February 2017 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 522693)
Sorry, I should of made it clearer. I'm just annoyed as I've been a fan of the film since it came out and when I was in HMV and saw it advertised as "never before seen uncut version" (as stated on the cover) I stupidly assumed that's what it was, when in fact that was still the R rated cut. It just reminds me of Vipco and their '91 re-release of Zombie Flesh Eaters.

No apology needed mate. Thanks for the info.

Justin101 27th February 2017 09:43 AM

101 has decided to put out Cherry Falls, a film which I rather like - despite it being a bit shit. It's listed as Dual Format and at £19.99 currently on Amazon so it's going to be one of their *a-hem* premium editions like Alien Nation where a fold out poster counts as an 'extra'.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06X9HWK...s=cherry+falls

8th May 2017

Frankenhooker 27th February 2017 09:53 AM

Isn't Cherry Falls cut to shreds ? I've got a bit of a soft spot for it myself, would love to see an uncensored version, if it still exists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J Harker 27th February 2017 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenhooker (Post 522798)
Isn't Cherry Falls cut to shreds ? I've got a bit of a soft spot for it myself, would love to see an uncensored version, if it still exists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only seen it once years ago. I'm pretty sure previous UK releases have been butchered but I seem to recall someone here (Stephen?) tracking down an uncut release. I'll be very surprised if 101 make the effort to get an uncut release out.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th February 2017 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 522799)
I've only seen it once years ago. I'm pretty sure previous UK releases have been butchered but I seem to recall someone here (Stephen?) tracking down an uncut release. I'll be very surprised if 101 make the effort to get an uncut release out.

As far as i'm aware there isn't an uncut release.

It was butchered by the MPAA and only the R-rated versions were distributed for release.

I'm pretty sure there will never be an uncut release.

Justin101 27th February 2017 10:50 AM

I imagine that it's the R-rated version as everyone else has said, that's the only version we've ever seen so it doesn't take away from the experience. I don't think there were further BBFC cuts.

Justin101 27th February 2017 07:32 PM

It seems that 101 Films are going to try and source the 'alien subtitles' for Alien Nation according to Facebook comments. They have said that the options are to delay the release now or continue with the planned release and put the subtitles into a second edition.

Hopefully they'll just go with the first option as it's going to annoy less people rather than have them buy it then release a better version down the line.

TJ Doc 28th February 2017 04:51 PM

Looks like they're going with a replacement scheme, which is better than nothing I guess.

I wonder, though... is it finally happening?

Is this 101 Films' "Zombie Flesh-Eaters moment"?

Only time will tell...

Stephen@Cult Labs 28th February 2017 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 522797)
101 has decided to put out Cherry Falls, a film which I rather like - despite it being a bit shit. It's listed as Dual Format and at £19.99 currently on Amazon so it's going to be one of their *a-hem* premium editions like Alien Nation where a fold out poster counts as an 'extra'.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06X9HWK...s=cherry+falls

8th May 2017

Yeah, think I'll stick with the German blu with this one. Be a bit of a slap in the face to UK buyers after both the US and German blu's have almost identical extras.

Audio commentary with director Geoffrey Wright.
German Trailer.
English Trailer.
Featurette "Lose it or die: The untold story of Cherry Falls" - 25 Min.
Featurette "Cherry Falls Deputy": Interview with Amanda Anka - 8 Min.
Interviews with Brittany Murphy, Michael Biehn, Jay Mohr and Geoffrey Wright.
Behind the scenes featurette - 5 Min
Photo gallery.

Justin101 28th February 2017 05:25 PM

Ah the German one is only €11 now on Amazon, is the rating a sticker or does it have a reversible cover?

Stephen@Cult Labs 28th February 2017 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 522949)
Ah the German one is only €11 now on Amazon, is the rating a sticker or does it have a reversible cover?

Reversible without the rating. [emoji106]

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th February 2017 06:33 PM

And a far better cover than the US disc.

Be interesting to see what kind of cover 101 comes up with.

Their transfers of Stone Cold and Exterminator 2 are really good.:nod:

Justin101 28th February 2017 07:30 PM

I had forgotten about the German disc to be honest, I remember Stephen buying it and thinking that i'd pick it up at some point - just ordered it now

Stephen@Cult Labs 8th March 2017 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hmmmm, does this sound like they're going to print on the front that it includes subtitles for the alien language? (which the bloody thing should have anyway) as a special feature (along with the poster and reversible cover, which it doesn't need plastered on the front). As much as I like some of their releases, they have zero clue what makes a decent release.

Attachment 187998

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th March 2017 09:27 PM

I bought it on Monday and chucked the receipt.:rolleyes:

What's the Alien subtitles for useless ****ers? :lol:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th March 2017 09:38 PM

No point in watching it just now then.

I'll need to wait until the 27th or get Greedo round....

So beeshalay baratamtetach magacheesa!:lol:

Stephen@Cult Labs 8th March 2017 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 524084)
No point in watching it just now then.

I'll need to wait until the 27th or get Greedo round....

So beeshalay baratamtetach magacheesa!:lol:

Yep, they just replied to me on Facebook. Printed on the front that it includes subtitles as an extra. Jesus H Christ, do I have to start my own label to show these companies what people want?

trebor8273 9th March 2017 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 524090)
Yep, they just replied to me on Facebook. Printed on the front that it includes subtitles as an extra. Jesus H Christ, do I have to start my own label to show these companies what people want?

so another half arsed release too add to there growing pile of half arsed release's. they have released some good movies but its a shame a half competent label didn't get them instead!

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th March 2017 06:52 PM

101 Films

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 524107)
so another half arsed release too add to there growing pile of half arsed release's. they have released some good movies but its a shame a half competent label didn't get them instead!

It gets even weirder. They're releasing a Sainburys exclusive version (blu-ray instead of dual-format).... but that one will list subtitles on the back cover and not printed on the front.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th March 2017 06:55 PM

:confused::confused:

trebor8273 11th March 2017 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 524141)
It gets even weirder. They're releasing a Sainburys exclusive version (blu-ray instead of dual-format).... but that one will list subtitles on the back cover and not printed on the front.

You the hell is running this company, chimps? Scrub that as its an insult to chimpanzees.

Justin101 31st March 2017 11:28 AM

Little update.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8O7owcUAAED_lV.jpg

Inspector Abberline 5th July 2017 09:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
101 are releasing the John Landis film Into the Night in August.

J Harker 5th July 2017 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 540491)

Aw tits. I thought this was coming from a decent label.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th July 2017 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 540491)

I wonder if anyone will ever release Susan's Plan?

Rob4 5th July 2017 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 540493)
Aw tits. I thought this was coming from a decent label.

careful you get lambasted for criticising labels :nono: ;)

J Harker 5th July 2017 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 540501)

No. You get criticised for lambasting labels. There's a difference. [emoji6]

trebor8273 6th July 2017 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 540501)

i think we can all pretty much agree 101 are a poor label who make no effort, while 88 who do have there problems at least try and they have given us a lot of stuff we thought we would never see.

keirarts 6th July 2017 12:24 PM

101 is binary for minimal effort. :lol: