Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   101 Films (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/12955-101-films.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th July 2017 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 540556)
101 is binary for minimal effort. :lol:

As far as i'm aware their prints are good though. No green tints on show.

Anyone from the geek AV police feel free to prove otherwise though. :lol:

Justin101 6th July 2017 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 540558)
As far as i'm aware their prints are good though. No green tints on show.

Anyone from the geek AV police feel free to prove otherwise though. :lol:

They're not always that great at getting the best out of the format, many discs are single layer so the maximum bitrate isn't applied and some films aren't even full HD even though the box art states that they are, such as F/X with is a 1080i encode.

They definitely have by the far the worst 'house style' for the covers as well.

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th July 2017 12:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 540563)
They're not always that great at getting the best out of the format, many discs are single layer so the maximum bitrate isn't applied and some films aren't even full HD even though the box art states that they are, such as F/X with is a 1080i encode.

They definitely have by the far the worst 'house style' for the covers as well.

:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKwVvSleM6w

I don't dislike the covers. They use original artwork, there's only the red border at the top. In fact i think they are better than most.

Justin101 6th July 2017 12:51 PM

Yeah the new style is far better but look at what they used to do, like the Hercules films haha

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th July 2017 12:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 540565)
Yeah the new style is far better but look at what they used to do, like the Hercules films haha

Nope, you've really lost me now.

Justin101 6th July 2017 12:59 PM

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....6L._SX342_.jpg

These ones. On the other ones the back cover and spine are ugly too.

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th July 2017 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 540568)
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....6L._SX342_.jpg

These ones. On the other ones the back cover and spine are ugly too.

They are the original artworks though. Yes the box set design could be better but the individual releases are all great.

keirarts 6th July 2017 01:09 PM

I have a few 101 discs. Honestly they come across a little as a modern day vipco. 88 do as well to a lesser extent. Sticking films on disc and releasing without any additional work.

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th July 2017 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 540572)
I have a few 101 discs. Honestly they come across a little as a modern day vipco. 88 do as well to a lesser extent. Sticking films on disc and releasing without any additional work.

The dvd's i have all look fine. You hi-def bods are sooo picky. ;) :lol:

keirarts 6th July 2017 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 540573)
The dvd's i have all look fine. You hi-def bods are sooo picky. ;) :lol:

I'm far from picky. I've defended 88's stuff plenty of times on the basis of the cost of them compared to expensive imports put out by a banana with interpersonal skill issues.

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th July 2017 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 540574)
I'm far from picky. I've defended 88's stuff plenty of times on the basis of the cost of them compared to expensive imports put out by a banana with interpersonal skill issues.

I was only kidding with you, hence the winking smiley followed by the laughing one.

keirarts 6th July 2017 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 540575)
I was only kidding with you, hence the winking smiley followed by the laughing one.

I know. ;) No offence taken.

Justin101 6th July 2017 01:30 PM

Put it this way, I have lowered expectations when it comes to this label, and I think they are swimming out of their depth with the current attempt to reprice their releases to £14.99. As Kierarts says these are budget releases and the price point should reflect it. Making it a Dual Format release and bumping up the price by a fiver doesn't put you into the Eureka/Indicator/Arrow ranks.

88 Films have done the same and I wouldn't be surprised if those releases have lower sales than the previously released at £9.99 films had. Although in their case there seems to be no rhyme nor reason behind which films are dual format for example Delirium is and Body Puzzle isn't...

J Harker 6th July 2017 05:42 PM

The problem with 101 is they have zero interest in extras of any description. If they are available its where they've ported something from elsewhere like the odd commentary and they have openly admitted it isn't something they intend to look at.
They also have no interest in making an effort to release uncut versions. I appreciate sometimes this is unavoidable AND its not like 88 go to town with extras. I have a few 101 releases and I'm happy enough with them, the transfers are fine, particularly when you consider the titles, but they're just not a label that excites me. And wherehas they're more than adequate to release some old Van Damme punch ups, I'd like to see John Landis flicks get better.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th July 2017 08:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Zero extras?

What's this? :pound:

J Harker 6th July 2017 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 540633)
Zero extras?

What's this? :pound:

Bet the buggers got scene selection too hasn't it.

Inspector Abberline 6th July 2017 08:41 PM

two trucks

1 Attachment(s)
I think 101 films have a nice diverse range of titles, and whilst Truck Turner and TWo Minute Warning were not exactly heaving with extras they did include a couple of repro movie posters which to be honest I much prefer.

J Harker 6th July 2017 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 540638)
I think 101 films have a nice diverse range of titles, and whilst Truck Turner and TWo Minute Warning were not exactly heaving with extras they did include a couple of repro movie posters which to be honest I much prefer.

Horses for courses init matey. Posters are a great addition to any package i agree.

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th July 2017 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 540638)

I would definitely have bought Two Minute Warning had i not already owned it.

I enjoyed Sky Riders immensely but that wasn't one with a poster sadly.

Inspector Abberline 7th July 2017 05:46 AM

ssssss

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not sure what the criteria is for them including posters but both SSSSSS and Tarantula have them. Which I really like although does not justify the higher price, but still nice any way.

Attachment 192393

Inspector Abberline 7th July 2017 06:56 PM

Exterminator 2

3 Attachment(s)
Has anyone got this..? Just wondered what the consensus was with this release?

Attachment 192411

mr 420 7th July 2017 07:41 PM

Exterminator 2 is a great day-glo slice of 1980's Cannon cheese. It isn't uncut though, no matter how hard the cover tries to persuade you. :nono:

Inspector Abberline 7th July 2017 09:40 PM

exterminate

1 Attachment(s)
Cheerrs....I went for a 2nd hand German dvd instead although Id get the blu ray if it was going cheap.

Attachment 192436

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th July 2017 11:50 PM

Japanese disc is uncut mate,but is expensive.
I have this,the Japanese disc and the Scream Factory Blu.

All have excellent pic quality and sound.:nod:

Exterminator 2 Widescreen on WOW HD

Stephen@Cult Labs 8th July 2017 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 540897)
Japanese disc is uncut mate,but is expensive.

I have this,the Japanese disc and the Scream Factory Blu.

All have excellent pic quality and sound.:nod:

Exterminator 2 Widescreen on WOW HD

The Japanese, UK and US discs are all the same. The R-rated version.

keirarts 8th July 2017 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 540901)

That's what I thought. Almost rushed out to buy it :thankingyou:

Stephen@Cult Labs 8th July 2017 08:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
It's actually amazing to read about the original version of Exterminator 2, including all the deleted scenes/original ending and the reshoots (without Ginty) that took place before it's release. Some really gory scenes, including the gang shooting down a police helicopter that crashes into a club, and the pilot burning inside (part of which can be seen in the trailer).

Attachment 192441Attachment 192442

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th July 2017 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 540901)

You sure?
The Japanese disc has more lingering violence than the other two.

Stephen@Cult Labs 8th July 2017 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 540930)
Nope.Trust me.

The Japanese disc has more lingering violence than the other two.

Sorry mate, you're wrong. It's the same R-rated version as the other two.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th July 2017 04:28 PM

Is there a comparison somewhere?

Stephen@Cult Labs 8th July 2017 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 540932)
Is there a comparison somewhere?

Nope. But it's been said that the same master was used that Shout used, plus there's only one "uncut version" of the film, the R-rated one.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th July 2017 05:14 PM

Hopefully not the same folk who said the Spanish Warriors BD was the theatrical version eh? ;)

Did it arrive yet?

I must dig out the Japanese Exterminator 2 and the others.....;)

Rob4 9th July 2017 07:42 PM

from Melon Farmers:

Exterminator 2

Cut in the US for an MPAA R rating. Further cut by the BBFC for 18 rated cinema release in 1984 and the follow up VHS. The BBFC cuts were waived for 2016 18 rated DVD.

UK: Passed 18 uncut for strong gore, violence after previous BBFC cuts waived for:
2016 101 Films RB Blu-ray at UK Amazon

US: Cut for an MPAA R Rating for:
2013 Shout! Factory [4 Action Packed Movie Marathon] R1 DVD at US Amazon

No unrated version has ever been released so this is the best available.

keirarts 10th July 2017 08:56 AM

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=9099&d2=9098&c=3670

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th July 2017 10:14 PM

The Land Unknown is new to me and out next week.

Has anyone seen it? Is it any good?

Love the look of the poster.

http://media.store.hmv.com/app_/resp...6510.jpg?w=640

Justin101 12th July 2017 08:31 AM

I haven't seen that no, but it's reminded me that Eureka have announced Journey to the Center of the Earth for a September release! A new 4k scan and a piece by Kim Newman discussing the film.

Rob4 12th July 2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 541355)
The Land Unknown is new to me and out next week.

Has anyone seen it? Is it any good?

Love the look of the poster.

http://media.store.hmv.com/app_/resp...6510.jpg?w=640

its a men in suits dinosaur movie rather than a Harryhausen type effort. its the type of movie that would have turned up on saturday morning telly back in the seventies. cheesy pulp 50s sci-fi. the poster is probably the best part about it. having said that i'm a sucker for this sort of stuff :pop2:

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th July 2017 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 541396)
its a men in suits dinosaur movie rather than a Harryhausen type effort. its the type of movie that would have turned up on saturday morning telly back in the seventies. cheesy pulp 50s sci-fi. the poster is probably the best part about it. having said that i'm a sucker for this sort of stuff :pop2:

Have you already got it on dvd? It's one i've never heard of even though like you i enjoy this sort of thing.

Being a Doctor Who fan, men in monster suits is close to the holy grail in film making techniques.

Rob4 12th July 2017 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 541401)
Have you already got it on dvd? It's one i've never heard of even though like you i enjoy this sort of thing.

Being a Doctor Who fan, men in monster suits is close to the holy grail in film making techniques.

yeah i still have the The Classic SciFi Ultimate Collection Volumes 1&2 boxset

here are the titles

Tarantula
The Mole People
The Incredible Shrinking Man
The Monolith Monsters
Monster on Campus
Dr. Cyclops
Cult of the Cobra
The Land Unknown
The Deadly Mantis
The Leech Woman

its good to see Universal are willing to license these for blu but i think i'll keep my powder dry for American releases. i think if Kino do them they'll commission Tom Weaver commentaries which are always a great listen.

i'm with you Dem on the appreciation of cheesy Dr. Who effects. who can forget the dinosaur in the first Silurian story? Classic :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th July 2017 12:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 541402)
yeah i still have the The Classic SciFi Ultimate Collection Volumes 1&2 boxset

here are the titles

Tarantula
The Mole People
The Incredible Shrinking Man
The Monolith Monsters
Monster on Campus
Dr. Cyclops
Cult of the Cobra
The Land Unknown
The Deadly Mantis
The Leech Woman

its good to see Universal are willing to license these for blu but i think i'll keep my powder dry for American releases. i think if Kino do them they'll commission Tom Weaver commentaries which are always a great listen.

i'm with you Dem on the appreciation of cheesy Dr. Who effects. who can forget the dinosaur in the first Silurian story? Classic :lol:

You know when you have one of those days?

Well i'm clearly having one now. I too own the classic sci fi set. I only bought it and watched it last year. :doh: Can't have been very memorable. :o

I'll go away now.