Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1395Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th July 2021, 06:25 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Sorry I never saw this, I do have it, it's a port of the scream factory disc, all of the special features and commentary track etc.. But yes, the extended version has VHS inserts, the original negative for the cut bits have been lost.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 13th July 2021, 10:58 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Sorry I never saw this, I do have it, it's a port of the scream factory disc, all of the special features and commentary track etc.. But yes, the extended version has VHS inserts, the original negative for the cut bits have been lost.
What i'm trying to get at is which of the versions was previously released by Arrow on dvd?
Old 13th July 2021, 11:03 AM
Cult Veteran

I'm not entirely sure that how you worded the question
However, according to DVD Compare, Arrow released the unrated cut with the SD inserts.

R2 United Kingdom- Arrow Films - No Cuts - Unrated Version (81:21 PAL)

Old 13th July 2021, 11:14 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure that how you worded the question
However, according to DVD Compare, Arrow released the unrated cut with the SD inserts.

R2 United Kingdom- Arrow Films - No Cuts - Unrated Version (81:21 PAL)
So basically disc one of the 101 Films release is shorn of all the best bits ie - the graphic violence and therefore worthless?

And the violence is still standard edition rather than HD so there's no point upgrading whatsoever.
Old 13th July 2021, 11:49 AM
Cult Veteran

Yeah, unless you're interested in the multiple special features which are all produced by Shout Factory, they're very good. Also the actual film aside from the inserts has been remastered and looks great.

I'd personally prefer the bluray over the DVD as it's a great set, but if you're in two minds you will be able to get it discounted in the future.

Old 13th July 2021, 11:53 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, unless you're interested in the multiple special features which are all produced by Shout Factory, they're very good. Also the actual film aside from the inserts has been remastered and looks great.

I'd personally prefer the bluray over the DVD as it's a great set, but if you're in two minds you will be able to get it discounted in the future.
It was following viewing Going to Pieces the other day again. There's a few minutes spent on the film and it's furore so i thought a nice hd print would be good to watch this Christmas but if all the best bits are still inserts it makes it a bit pointless as it would be even more jarring dropping from 4k to video quality than it would be from dvd to video.

Looked it up on Movie Censorship. It says Shout replaced whole scenes if there was an insert to be made not simply added the inserts.
Quote:
Unfortunately, there is a little flawed because the Unrated footage is not in HD - those are SD inserts from and the lack of quality (compared to the rest of the movie that is) is quite obvious which also explains the quality of the screenshots of the Unrated footage. Speaking of which, if some Unrated footage had to be added in a scene, the entire shot has been replaced - no exceptions. This means the picture can change within a scene but never within a single shot.

I watched Top Sensation again last week. Good film but the inserted scenes were distracting. Maybe it's just me that thinks of them that way.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 13th July 2021, 12:24 PM
Cult Veteran

It's not just you no, and the next time I watch Silent Night I do plan on watching the Theatrical version as I don't think the trimmed effects shots are all that good to be honest, you can't see what happens most of the time anyway - I did find it distracting.

Regardless though, the 101 Films BD is really good, I bought the box set with part 2 to watch at Christmas last year

Old 13th July 2021, 01:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
It's not just you no, and the next time I watch Silent Night I do plan on watching the Theatrical version as I don't think the trimmed effects shots are all that good to be honest, you can't see what happens most of the time anyway - I did find it distracting.

Regardless though, the 101 Films BD is really good, I bought the box set with part 2 to watch at Christmas last year
Have you seen Part 2? Is it any good?

Thinking about it you may have missed a comma or two out, and you have part 2 to watch this year after buying it last year.
Old 13th July 2021, 01:16 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Have you seen Part 2? Is it any good?

Thinking about it you may have missed a comma or two out, and you have part 2 to watch this year after buying it last year.
No, I watched them both last year, I did mean that I bought the box with both films in it to watch last Christmas

Yeah, part 2 is rubbish haha, but entertaining.

Old 13th July 2021, 01:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
No, I watched them both last year, I did mean that I bought the box with both films in it to watch last Christmas

Yeah, part 2 is rubbish haha, but entertaining.
I have part 3 in a set along with Slaughter High, Repossessed and My Best Friend is a Vampire and surprisingly (or not) it's easily the worst of the four films. Terrible in fact.

With part 2 being 'rubbish' and full of flashbacks, i might just buy 88's New Years Evil and forget new Xmas themed horror this year
Justin101 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!