LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd July 2021, 08:14 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

HELL NIGHT arrived today.
Another excellent package from 101

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 23rd July 2021, 10:09 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
HELL NIGHT arrived today.
Another excellent package from 101

Not really a fan of the new art on the case. Should've used that on the slip instead.
Old 23rd July 2021, 05:58 PM
Cultist

Getting jealous now. My Hell Night is arriving by 31st according to Amazon. It really is one of the best 80s slashers. The carpet scene is just incredible.

Aside from this, I dont know anything about these recent announcements. Are they any good?
Old 23rd July 2021, 09:19 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashforcash View Post
Getting jealous now. My Hell Night is arriving by 31st according to Amazon. It really is one of the best 80s slashers. The carpet scene is just incredible.

Aside from this, I dont know anything about these recent announcements. Are they any good?
I love Suburbia but i have not seen The Boys Nextdoor.
Old 25th July 2021, 10:28 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashforcash View Post

Saw the trailer for Boys Next Door, looks pretty good.

Suburbia reminds me of one of Arrows recent releases, Over The Edge. What I thought of Over The Edge was that it was a slow build up and the finale (Where all hell breaks loose) didn't live up to the expectations.

So does Suburbia have more action throughout the film (or is it mostly talking)
Old 27th July 2021, 10:24 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Both September's Black Label releases appeal to me.

Suburbia (1983)

101 Films presents Penelope Spheeris' searing drama Suburbia (1983), title 021 on the 101 Films Black Label. Starring real-life punks rather than trained actors, and featuring live performances from punk bands D.I., T.S.O.L. and the Vandals, Suburbia is an authentic and compassionate study of the Los Angeles punk rock scene in the early 1980s, and a bleak indictment of the American suburban experiment.

Evan and his younger brother leave their broken home in an attempt to escape their alcoholic mother. They fall in with "The Rejected" (aka T.R.), a group of punks who live as squatters in an abandoned shack by the side of the highway. With the T.R.s, the boys find a new family. But their new family will be tested when they become the target of "Citizens Against Crime," a group of unhappy suburbanites.

BRAND NEW EXTRAS
• Interview with director Penelope Spheeris
• Limited edition booklet: Includes Punks in Suburbia by John Towlson and Before Suburbia: Gangs on Film by Barry Forshaw

ADDITIONAL EXTRAS
• Commentary with director Penelope Spheeris
• Commentary with director Penelope Spheeris, producer Bert Dragin and actor Jennifer Clay
• Still Gallery
• TV Spots
• Trailer

The Boys Next Door (1985)

101 Films presents The Boys Next Door (1985), a violent and disturbing crime thriller from director Penelope Spheeris (The Decline of Western Civilisation) and screenwriters Glen Morgan & James Wong (Final Destination, The X-Files).

Bo Richards (Charlie Sheen) has trouble talking to girls. Roy Alston (Maxwell Caulfield) is filled with an uncontrollable rage. On the weekend of their high-school graduation, the two suburban outcasts head for Los Angeles and embark on a violent murder spree that shocks the nation. But these young men are neither hardened criminals or foaming-at-the-mouth maniacs. They are simply The Boys Next Door.

BRAND NEW EXTRAS
Limited edition booklet: Includes Living with the Boys Next Door by John Towlson and AssassiNation: Cold-blooded Rebels and the Death of the American Dream by Rich Johnson

ADDITIONAL EXTRAS
Audio commentary with director Penelope Spheeris and actor Maxwell Caulfield
Blind Rage: Interview with Stephen Thrower, author of Nightmare USA
Both Sides of the Law: Interview with actors Maxwell Caulfield and Christopher McDonald
Give Us Your Money: Interviews with street band performers Texacala Jones and Tequila Mockingbird
Caveman Day: Cinemaniacs interview with director Penelope Spheeris and actor Maxwell Caulfield
Tales from the End Zone: Interview with actor Kenneth Cortland
The Psychotronic Tourist – The Boys Next Door
Alternate Opening Title Sequence & Extended Scenes (Silent)
Trailer
Suburbia is cut by 10 seconds for animal cruelty if that's a deciding factor for anybody.
Old 28th July 2021, 11:09 AM
Cultist

Love the extras on Hell Night, but I cant say I'm happy with the print. It's the same grainy print as my Noche Infernal spanish blu ray with blue lines down the screen, hazy look, spots, scratches etc. It honestly looks like it hasn't been cleaned up one bit.

Overall, I wouldnt recommend anyone bother with the 101 films Hell Night if you are thinking about upgrading a preexisting copy of the movie. The extras are great, and it's an amazing film if you've not seen it, but it still looks like garbage and isnt an upgrade of any version out there in the international market. Also, I know I'm going to get pelters for this, but the 101 mini book on the movie is in that same mini font/all over the place style as Spookies. Overall 10/10 if youve never seen it, or 6/10 if you already have it.

Does anyone know why Hell Night looks so absolutely terrible in every release? It's not exactly obscure. My guess is that one company remastered it (badly) and everyone else is sub-licencing the print.
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 2nd August 2021, 10:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Hell Night is now out of stock on Amazon.

Wouldn't surprise me if supplies of the limited edition were running low everywhere now.
Old 3rd August 2021, 06:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Hell Night is now out of stock on Amazon.

Wouldn't surprise me if supplies of the limited edition were running low everywhere now.
Loads in HMV in Canterbury where I'm on holiday
Old 3rd August 2021, 06:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
Loads in HMV in Canterbury where I'm on holiday
Nice one. Hope you are having a great time.
Rob4 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!