Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   101 Films (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/12955-101-films.html)

Stephen@Cult Labs 7th May 2018 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostalgic (Post 574931)
Picked up Nightmares today as well (in hmv high wycombe, not glasgow lol!), along with killer klowns from arrow. 2 stories into Nightmares & it's amazing, akin to Creepshow 2, if you like anthology horrors it's excellent. Looking forward to the extras!

I don’t know why they wasted disc space putting the fullscreen version on there. No extra picture top and bottom as some full screen versions are, just cropped at the sides so there’s less than the widescreen version.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th May 2018 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 574930)
Mate, that’s even worse! Was Irma Vep in the world cinema section? Because I’m sure you picked that up, as I was there too [emoji23]

And Dark Blue was the other one I had in my hand.

It was! :lol:

Dark Blue-that's the one I forgot about! :rolleyes:

So you'd have been mugged twice!

Nostalgic 8th May 2018 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 574944)
I don’t know why they wasted disc space putting the fullscreen version on there. No extra picture top and bottom as some full screen versions are, just cropped at the sides so there’s less than the widescreen version.

Watched Unhinged from 88 and that randomly has a fullscreen version on there, no idea why.
Started the commentary to Nightmares, very good.

Demoncrat 8th May 2018 08:42 PM

Ach, I still watch the 4:3 Evil Dead at times ... so they are selling points for some :lol:;)

Stephen@Cult Labs 8th May 2018 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 575024)
Ach, I still watch the 4:3 Evil Dead at times ... so they are selling points for some :lol:;)

Yeah, but Evil Dead was filmed in 4:3, the 4:3 Nightmares is just the widescreen version with the sides cut off. A completely pointless waste of disc space :)

Linbro 8th May 2018 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 574918)
Picked up NIGHTMARES today in HMV.
Impessive package for such a small film,here's hoping it's a sign of things to come!

Couldn't resist the temptation-no sign or notification of shipping from 101 direct....:rolleyes:

Did it come with the poster? And, do 101 usually send out shipping notifications? I pre ordered this a while ago.

nosferatu42 8th May 2018 10:55 PM

I think the cropped versions are purely for the VHS nostalgia - ists who want to experience the films as they first saw them.
In a square display 80's display format.

mark meakin 9th May 2018 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linbro (Post 575030)
Did it come with the poster? And, do 101 usually send out shipping notifications? I pre ordered this a while ago.

I received this message yesterday regarding my pre-order:

Dear Mark Meakin,
There has been a slight delay with the Nightmares disc availability, which has led to a slight delay. Your order will be posted out this week please accept our apologies for this.

Yet people are picking it up in stores like HMV:confused:.Rather disappointing for pre-order customers unless it's an issue with the poster ?.

mark meakin 9th May 2018 12:25 PM

BTW does anybody know yet whether Sssssnake was cut on the Blu-ray/DVD combo or not ?.

trebor8273 9th May 2018 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark meakin (Post 575065)

Dear Mark Meakin,
There has been a slight delay with the Nightmares disc availability, which has led to a slight delay. Your order will be posted out this week please accept our apologies for this.

Yet people are picking it up in stores like HMV:confused:.Rather disappointing for pre-order customers unless it's an issue with the poster ?.

seen this happen with arrow and others and just leave me scratching my head that amazon ,hmv etc can get them out!

Susan Foreman 9th May 2018 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark meakin (Post 575066)
BTW does anybody know yet whether Sssssnake was cut on the Blu-ray/DVD combo or not ?.

Apparently yes

According to DVDCompare the 101films release was "the optically altered 'PG' version with additional compulsory cuts by the BBFC (to remove animal cruelty in a fight between a snake and a mongoose)"

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th May 2018 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark meakin (Post 575065)

Dear Mark Meakin,

Yep I ordered it direct as well-nothing yet.

That's why I bought it in HMV.
First and last time ordering direct I'm afraid.
**** the customer-(even though we make more money from them ordering direct!)
Hmv will give us 4 quid a unit.....
:rolleyes:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th May 2018 04:40 PM

Apart from that-it looks and sounds good!

The Emilio Estevez video game episode is by far the best......

Night of the rat is hilarious!:lol:

Nostalgic 9th May 2018 08:19 PM

Ok, according to the nightmares commentary, it was shot at 4.3, so the fullscreen version is the original as it was intended for tv, the "widescreen" version was cropped top & bottom for it's american cinema release.
Definately one of the more informative yak tracks!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th May 2018 08:39 PM

Greetings, Earthling. I am the Bishop of Battle, master of all I survey.
I have 13 progressively harder levels.
Try me if you dare. !!!

trebor8273 9th May 2018 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 575114)
Greetings, Earthling. I am the Bishop of Battle, master of all I survey.
I have 13 progressively harder levels.
Try me if you dare. !!!

I'm on last story but I think that one is the best.

VeZius 10th May 2018 05:44 AM

Has any of you bought the 101 Films release of Cherry Falls? Can't seem to find any reviews of the release, even though it came out a year ago.

Just wondering how it compares to the Scream Factory release, which one is better.

mark meakin 10th May 2018 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 575071)
Apparently yes

According to DVDCompare the 101films release was "the optically altered 'PG' version with additional compulsory cuts by the BBFC (to remove animal cruelty in a fight between a snake and a mongoose)"

That's a link to the comparison I personally added as a REWIND team member LOL !.I put in the overall Region A for the CONFIRMED uncut version but I can't confirm whether the 101 Films Blu-ray/dvd is cut or not. The previous CIC video lost around 27 seconds of the Cobra/Mongoose fight. I put specifications to be confirmed as I don't own the discs.I own the Scandinavian dvd release with the fight intact.Looks like I may have to take a chance & buy it.It's interesting to note that the BFI release of TOM JONES will have the cockfight cuts waived which is a big surprise.

mark meakin 10th May 2018 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 575068)
seen this happen with arrow and others and just leave me scratching my head that amazon ,hmv etc can get them out!

Just checked my 101 Films account & no sign of it being sent yet.

DEF 20th May 2018 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeZius (Post 575135)
Has any of you bought the 101 Films release of Cherry Falls? Can't seem to find any reviews of the release, even though it came out a year ago.

Just wondering how it compares to the Scream Factory release, which one is better.

I've got the 101 release but not the Scream Factory so I haven't compared them. I thought the 101 release was a bit soft. It's definitely from an old master and could look much better with restoration but I guess they use whatever they get given.

As for the film. It had been at least 10 years since I last watched the DVD and it holds up really well for me. But I do love most slashers.

Stephen@Cult Labs 20th May 2018 09:50 AM

101 Films

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostalgic (Post 575109)
Ok, according to the nightmares commentary, it was shot at 4.3, so the fullscreen version is the original as it was intended for tv, the "widescreen" version was cropped top & bottom for it's american cinema release.

Definately one of the more informative yak tracks!

Yeah I noticed that they mention that on the commentary, which is why the 4:3 version on the disc is pointless, it’s not the uncropped version. They’ve just cropped the sides of the widescreen version. Dvdcompare have confirmed it.

Attachment 204689

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st May 2018 08:51 PM

101 have certainly gone up imo!

Picked up The Grifters and Existenz today-Arrow-style ltd ed books a sturdyish outer pack,an inner amaray and interesting extras.
Also contains a betamax disc as well!;)

Nostalgic 21st May 2018 09:40 PM

Agreed! Watching Existenz, loving it! Very deluxe packages, extras to die for & packaging like arrow/premium collection. Great stuff!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 12th June 2018 08:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
September! :cool:

Stephen@Cult Labs 12th June 2018 08:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 578586)
September! :cool:

Nice!

I hope this has the extras from the US and German blu’s, otherwise i’ll probably just end up getting one of those.

Attachment 205575

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th June 2018 10:13 PM

Love Craig Armstrong's score to Plunkett and Macleane.

Craig Armstrong - Plunkett & Macleane - Ball

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSm4e8huO-I

Stephen@Cult Labs 15th June 2018 05:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
101 have offically announced Rollercoaster as #3 in their Black Label series.

Including the theatrical version and the uncut version that was recently released on blu-ray in Germany. They also just confirmed that it’ll have a reversible cover with the binocular artwork.

Brand New Extras:
The 1970s: A Rollercoaster of Disasters: A new documentary on Rollercoaster and the era of disaster movies, with film historian Simon Fitzjohn
Commentary with Allan Bryce and David Flint

Booklet: Includes ‘Fear Factor: The Anatomy of a 1970s Thriller’ by Scott Harrison and ‘Sensurround - A Rollercoaster Ride’ by Allan Bryce

Additional Extras:
An interview with Associate Producer / Writer Tommy Cook
Theatrical Trailer

Attachment 205692

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th July 2018 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
September feck all Stephen!
Dinnae ken why that was on their site......
This was in HMV today-AND it was labelled 3 for 20/5 for 30 quid!

Probably a mistake.Hurry and grab one!:nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd August 2018 04:03 PM

Aug 20th

https://images.store.hmv.com/app_/re...6750.jpg?w=640

Inspector Abberline 23rd August 2018 05:48 PM

Trespass (Dual Format 101 Black Label

1 Attachment(s)
This title will be released on October 1.

What no fan fares.no foaming at the mouth by imbecilic fan boys????..come on at least a few bitchy comments about the cover...jeez come on gals hoist your panties up and get menstruating...

Attachment 208148

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd August 2018 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 585971)

What no fan fares.no foaming at the mouth by imbecilic fan boys????..come on at least a few bitchy comments about the cover...jeez come on gals hoist your panties up and get menstruating...

Attachment 208148

Wow! Haven't seen that since the vhs days. A certain purchase.

bleakshaun 26th September 2018 08:51 PM

Looking on Amazon; they look to be releasing Jack the Giant Killer on blu ray on the 29th of October

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 27th September 2018 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 585971)

Attachment 208148

Ooh imbecilic...check out the big brain on the Inspector!
That bitchy enough?:tongue1:

Inspector Abberline 27th September 2018 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 589028)
Ooh imbecilic...check out the big brain on the Inspector!
That bitchy enough?:tongue1:

No,turn that bitchy dial to 11.....

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th January 2019 12:49 PM

101 have extended their sale until 31st of January.

J Harker 4th January 2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 595387)
101 have extended their sale until 31st of January.

Awesome!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rob4 9th January 2019 04:05 PM

not the company i wanted to see release this but lets see what they do with it?

CLASS OF 1984 | British Board of Film Classification

Justin101 9th January 2019 04:16 PM

I’ve got the German Blu which can be had for €7.99. It ports some of the extras from the Shout release.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th January 2019 06:00 PM

Class of 1984 coupled with Class of 1999-Great double bill!

J Harker 14th January 2019 02:06 PM

How are people finding delivery times on the sale? I ordered last Tuesday. No sign of my stuff yet.