Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   101 Films (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/12955-101-films.html)

J Harker 26th February 2017 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 522670)
Or being misleading on their cover of Exterminator 2, saying that it's the uncut version when in fact that it's actually the R-rated cut which was further cut by the BBFC. :nono:

Really mr420? Didn't realise that, thought it was meant to be one of their better releases. Really are an half arse setup aren't they. Thanks for the heads up.

Stephen@Cult Labs 26th February 2017 10:16 AM

I'd be annoyed if the original X-rated version had been released somewhere and then 101 tried to say the R version was uncut, but they didn't. It's the same version released worldwide, with all the BBFC cuts restored.

J Harker 26th February 2017 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 522680)
I'd be annoyed if the original X-rated version had been released somewhere and then 101 tried to say the R version was uncut, but they didn't. It's the same version released worldwide, with all the BBFC cuts restored.

So it is the longest cut available then Stephen?

mr 420 26th February 2017 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 522680)

But to fans like us who know the difference it is a pretty misleading thing to say. I had been wanting to see the uncut version since watching the old vhs in the '80s. So when I was in HMV and I saw it been advertised as the uncut version, I grabbed it off the shelf. I was not happy when I got home.

Rob4 26th February 2017 11:08 AM

i always find it good policy to go over to Melon Farmers before buying anything, unless it is a label i know i can trust. it clearly states on MF that Exterminator 2 is the 'Best available' rather than the full pre-mpaa version.

mr 420 26th February 2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 522678)
Really mr420? Didn't realise that, thought it was meant to be one of their better releases. Really are an half arse setup aren't they. Thanks for the heads up.

It's still worth a watch, J. If you're a fan of the Cannon studio from the '80s, then you can't go wrong as it has the Cannon neon/pastel colour scheme (ala Breakin' and Ninja 3:The Domination for example) and Mario Van Peebles completely OTT gang leader portrayal. :cool:

Rob4 26th February 2017 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 522686)
i always find it good policy to go over to Melon Farmers before buying anything, unless it is a label i know i can trust. it clearly states on MF that Exterminator 2 is the 'Best available' rather than the full pre-mpaa version.

i should say that sometimes you have to settle for the 'best available' e.g. The Hills Have Eyes - its very unlikely the pre-mpaa elements will ever turn up. I've not researched it but that might be the case with The Exterminator 2 also?

J Harker 26th February 2017 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 522687)
It's still worth a watch, J. If you're a fan of the Cannon studio from the '80s, then you can't go wrong as it has the Cannon neon/pastel colour scheme (ala Breakin' and Ninja 3:The Domination for example) and Mario Van Peebles completely OTT gang leader portrayal. :cool:

If it's the best available that's different mr420. I was under the impression from your original post that there may be a longer cut potentially available.

mr 420 26th February 2017 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 522688)
i should say that sometimes you have to settle for the 'best available' e.g. The Hills Have Eyes - its very unlikely the pre-mpaa elements will ever turn up. I've not researched it but that might be the case with The Exterminator 2 also?

A good example of the whole R versus X versions is contained on the Robocop special edition DVD where you can choose between the two. While preparing the laserdisc for Criterion way back in the day, Verhoven (I think?, the full story is in an edition of Video Watchdog and I have not read it in a long time) managed to find the footage that had been trimmed for a R rating and was able to reinsert it and it looks a lot better than the R1 restored The My Bloody Valentine DVD. :nod:

Stephen@Cult Labs 26th February 2017 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 522681)
So it is the longest cut available then Stephen?

Yep.