Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   101 Films (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/12955-101-films.html)

snipsmovies 14th April 2015 09:04 PM

101 Films

Apologies if this is old ground - I'm not as regular a visitor as I once was - but 101 Films as you'll be aware are accelerating their Blu-ray output from the first week in May.

We're covering this in depth over at Zombie Hamster, but I'm intrigued as to what people are expecting with this line of releases? There seems to be a complete absence of an online buzz about what they're putting out.

The first action orientated title they're adding to the Cult Movie Collection is Black Eagle on 4/5, with Nemesis following the week after. Do we think the Nemesis Blu will be similar to the Platinum Cult edition?

How about the ones that follow through the end of May to June... A.W.O.L, Ironheart, Sabotage, Split Second, Mean Guns, Blast, Crazy Six. Anyone got these pre-ordered, or is there a general lack of excitement about this?

Stephen@Cult Labs 14th April 2015 10:04 PM

I think most of these have bren purchased from Mr Krekel at Digital Dreams/Platinum Cult. In fact, when people have been complaing about his Split Secind disc, and saying the UK disc will be better, he's basically been saying it's his transfer they're using. [emoji33]

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 14th April 2015 10:07 PM

I've not really been following their latest slew of releases (mainly because the films in question have little to no appeal for me), although I have heard that a lot of the newly announced titles may be using some shoddy German masters... something I see Stephen has confirmed above.

snipsmovies 14th April 2015 10:12 PM

Oh really? Thanks, that's really helpful. We just don't know what to expect. I did find it interesting though that 101's Twitter feed professed to have never been in contact with Mr. Krekel. Not sure what to expect. The pre-order prices have dipped recently to £10.25 though, so at least they've set a competitive price point.

With regard to Nemesis, I was discussing with my collegaue Matty if the wealth of extras would make it over to the UK. I guess a release like that will give us some idea of how serious 101 want to be with this range.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 28th October 2015 12:30 PM

Some upcoming titles from 101:

Dr Goldfoot And The Bikini Machine
Dr Goldfoot And The Girl Bombs
Death Warrant
Delta Force 2
Three Amigos
Ghoulies
Ghoulies 2
It! The Terror From Beyond Space
Solarbabies
Stone Cold
Firewalker
A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum
The Playboys

Apparently they're releasing The Exterminator 2 as well.

Justin101 28th October 2015 12:34 PM

Ahh Ghoulies! That one definitely takes me back, but I have no idea if it's actually any good!

TJ Doc 28th October 2015 04:06 PM

The first Ghoulies is a bit shit.

Second one's alright, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 466363)
Death Warrant
Delta Force 2
Three Amigos
It! The Terror From Beyond Space
Stone Cold
Firewalker

The Exterminator 2

https://media.giphy.com/media/JwjBy94VzDd6/giphy.gif

JAMIOUSE 28th October 2015 07:18 PM

Interesting their releasing the Bava Doctor Goldfoot, I wonder if Arrow passed on it? Presumably it's the same transfer as the recent US release.

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th October 2015 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE (Post 466403)
Interesting their releasing the Bava Doctor Goldfoot, I wonder if Arrow passed on it? Presumably it's the same transfer as the recent US release.

101 must have done a deal with MGM with Goldfoot being in their ranks alongside others like Five Guns West, Three Amigos, and It! It'd be a job lot rather than picking individual films.

will graham 28th October 2015 08:03 PM

Aw nuts.
After 88 Films did the American Ninja films I was hoping they were going to release more b movie action flicks with special features.
But 101 keep grabbing all the ones I wanted them to do.

And Ghoulies is more than a bit shite. It's one of the worst in Empire Pictures back catalog.

Stephen@Cult Labs 28th October 2015 09:02 PM

101 Films - Cult Movie Collection

Asked 101 on Facebook if there was any chance of them offering reversible art without ratings/banners etc, as I think they have some of the "busiest" covers out there, and they had this to say...

"We're looking into different artwork and special packaging for future catalogue titles. We'll confirm details nearer release dates"

Nice to know that they're at least looking into different things.

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th October 2015 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 466411)
Asked 101 on Facebook if there was any chance of them offering reversible art without ratings/banners etc, as I think they have some of the "busiest" covers out there, and they just had this to say...

"We're looking into different artwork and special packaging for future catalogue titles. We'll confirm details nearer release dates"

Nice to know that they're at least looking into different things.

Let's hope they can. After all it may be the difference between the range becoming collectible or dying a death.

harryd 29th October 2015 05:04 PM

These were on offer at Fopp for a fiver each last month so I picked up all of the blu-rays. Honestly out of my collection they're probably the least appealing to me but on watching a few I've been pleasantly surprised. Specifically I enjoyed Ironheart quite a bit and Sabotage was surprisingly good. Also the Robert Englund version of Phantom of the Opera is well worth a watch.

All in all not the most amazing films but a lot are of the kind that are unlikely to see another blu-ray release so worth a pop if the price is right.. I watch on a projector with 110' screen and have no complaints about quality but then I'm not the most fussy of people so others may think otherwise.

EDIT: Black Eagle is an absolute turd. Avoid at all costs

Boo Radley 29th October 2015 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryd (Post 466505)
EDIT: Black Eagle is an absolute turd. Avoid at all costs

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

harryd 29th October 2015 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boo Radley (Post 466528)
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol: It really is a stinker!

Rik 3rd November 2015 11:14 AM

Flash sale

MacBlayne 3rd November 2015 12:08 PM

The Nemesis films were in 2.35:1. At least according to Albert Pyun.

So, it begs the question - why are 101 Films using incorrect aspect ratios? I'm not expecting full remasters from them - just the correct aspect ratio in 1080p encode.

Looks like it's the German BD set for me then.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd November 2015 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 467037)

I wonder why it's just a sale on blu's?

Pity really as some of their dvd's are quite interesting, such as Hornet's Nest for example.

TJ Doc 3rd November 2015 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 467040)
The Nemesis films were in 2.35:1. At least according to Albert Pyun.

So, it begs the question - why are 101 Films using incorrect aspect ratios? I'm not expecting full remasters from them - just the correct aspect ratio in 1080p encode.

Looks like it's the German BD set for me then.

The first film is an open matte presentation so at least there's no cropping. I don't know if it's the same case with the sequels, but I would assume they're also open matte given that they went straight to VHS.

caps-a-holic.com

Personally, I'd be inclined to get the 101 disc just to avoid giving Oliver Krekel any money.

MacBlayne 3rd November 2015 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ Doc (Post 467047)
The first film is an open matte presentation so at least there's no cropping. I don't know if it's the same case with the sequels, but I would assume they're also open matte given that they went straight to VHS.

caps-a-holic.com

Personally, I'd be inclined to get the 101 disc just to avoid giving Oliver Krekel any money.

I think they're all open-matte. However, I'm a stickler for aspect-ratio so unless I measure the TV and apply black tape over the top and bottom, I'm afraid I'll have to go with the German release.

I've seen some of Krekel's posts on the aforementioned Blu-Ray.com forum. He does come across as a delightful character.

Graeme73 3rd November 2015 01:34 PM

Picked up AWOL for £6 which is one of favourite Van Damme's

tele1962 30th November 2015 11:19 PM

101 Films.

Just watched " The Lost World" (1960) from 101 films, no extras but the film more than makes up for that. I forgot just how much I like this film. Superb.

The Lost World Blu Ray – 101 Films Store

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st December 2015 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 469499)
Just watched " The Lost World" (1960) from 101 films, no extras but the film more than makes up for that. I forgot just how much I like this film. Superb.

The Lost World Blu Ray – 101 Films Store

I need to pick that up. Thanks for posting tele. :thankingyou:

tele1962 1st December 2015 10:45 PM

No probs Dem. Your gonna love it, pure entertainment. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st December 2015 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 469654)
No probs Dem. Your gonna love it, pure entertainment. :nod:

They have a few similar films on their roster.

J Harker 2nd December 2015 06:43 PM

Apparently some Xmas deals are appearing today but I've not seen anything yet...

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th December 2015 07:19 PM

101 confirmed on Facebook that in addition to some steelbooks, they'll be starting to offer reversible covers without the ratings logos (and I assume the collection banners across the top) with next years releases. So with that in mind, i've pre-ordered Exterminator 2, Delta Force 2 and Stone Cold.

tele1962 9th December 2015 08:40 PM

I have never seen Delta Force 2, is it any good?:)

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th December 2015 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 470412)
I have never seen Delta Force 2, is it any good?:)

I personally like it more than The Delta Force.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th December 2015 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 470413)
I personally like it more than The Delta Force.

I've only seen Stone Cold once on vhs.

Is it as good as i recall?

MacBlayne 9th December 2015 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 470394)
101 confirmed on Facebook that in addition to some steelbooks, they'll be starting to offer reversible covers without the ratings logos (and I assume the collection banners across the top) with next years releases. So with that in mind, i've pre-ordered Exterminator 2, Delta Force 2 and Stone Cold.

Stone Cold is getting a release here?!?

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th December 2015 09:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 470414)
I've only seen Stone Cold once on vhs.

Is it as good as i recall?

I think so. Plus it has the added bonus of Lance Henriksen and William Forsythe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 470415)
Stone Cold is getting a release here?!?[/CENTER]

Yep! Held off on the US blu (got the German mediabook) as I'm not a fan of the Terminatoresque art they used.
Probably end up using it here too! [emoji23]

Attachment 173007

MacBlayne 9th December 2015 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 470416)
I think so. Plus it has the added bonus of Lance Henriksen and William Forsythe.

Yep! Held off on the US blu (got the German mediabook) as I'm not a fan of the Terminatoresque art they used.
Probably end up using it here too! [emoji23]

Attachment 173007

I was considering the US BluRay but put it off due to price and lack of extras or niceties. But a UK / Ireland release is wonderful. I have to tell my friend about this. :thankingyou:

J Harker 9th December 2015 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 470394)

Any idea on how much will be cut from their release of Pray For Death Stephen?

Stephen@Cult Labs 10th December 2015 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 470418)
Any idea on how much will be cut from their release of Pray For Death Stephen?

If I recall, it's around 4 minutes missing from the R-rated version that 101 Films are releasing.

J Harker 10th December 2015 08:27 AM

Mm, that's a fair bit. Cuts for violence i assume? I've not even seen the film but I'm not going to buy a version with 4 minutes missing.

mr 420 10th December 2015 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 470446)
If I recall, it's around 4 minutes missing from the R-rated version that 101 Films are releasing.

How can they (101) justify this? It's nearly 2016, not 1986.

J Harker 10th December 2015 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 470471)
How can they (101) justify this? It's nearly 2016, not 1986.

They put an official post on FB explaining that they are dependent on the HD master that MGM have provided them which is the cut version. And that they don't have the financial resources to create a new master from the uncut version which is apparently what Arrow have done for their US release.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 10th December 2015 01:09 PM

101 Films Xmas sale.

Crimson Blade 10th December 2015 03:01 PM

Will pick up DELTA FORCE 2 provided it's fully uncut. The current UK dvd is still missing a few seconds from what i recall.

And a shame about PRAY FOR DEATH. :(
The US release is not an option for me as i'm not region free. There is the option of the german mediabook but it will be quite expensive. :(