Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree3663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th July 2021, 04:36 PM
Cult Acolyte

Inspired by the above conversation, and with a bit of time on my hands, I thought I'd do a 1970s MIA list for BRIT Horror

1970s BRIT HORROR not yet on Bluray (in the UK)
g053584398 likes this.
Old 24th July 2021, 05:00 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Very happy to confirm that The Brute isn't the only upcoming Indicator title on that list, and I'm not talking about just one other title either.

But a fair number of those MIA titles are currently stuck in rights and/or materials limbo. For instance, it's hardly a secret that the BFI would reissue The Devils on Blu-ray in a heartbeat (and would have done a decade ago as well), but that particular ball isn't in their court - and of course the Tyburn situation is also too well documented to need reviving here. And Unman, Wittering and Zigo would have come out years ago if the number of requests held any sway over actually being able to get hold of it.
Old 24th July 2021, 05:22 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
Very happy to confirm that The Brute isn't the only upcoming Indicator title on that list, and I'm not talking about just one other title either.

But a fair number of those MIA titles are currently stuck in rights and/or materials limbo. For instance, it's hardly a secret that the BFI would reissue The Devils on Blu-ray in a heartbeat (and would have done a decade ago as well), but that particular ball isn't in their court - and of course the Tyburn situation is also too well documented to need reviving here. And Unman, Wittering and Zigo would have come out years ago if the number of requests held any sway over actually being able to get hold of it.
Michael, it's great to hear Indicator have got their hands on some choice titles - I know you guys will do them proud.

With UMZ, is it a rights issue or just Paramount not playing ball?
Old 26th July 2021, 03:38 PM
Cultist

Is anyone else getting annoyed with Indicator's mix and match approach to blu ray cases? I ordered 6 titles from their sale. Anderson Tapes, Mummys Tomb and Breakout all came with blue cases, the others were clear (Maniac, Laura Mars, Last Detail). It is so annoying!

I've had this before. Christine and Vampires were clear, while Ghost of Mars and The Legacy were blue! Grrr. Drives me nuts. Does anyone know what decides the indicator Blue/Clear cases?

On another note, is the Fu Manchu set any good? Tempted but I'm finding Indicator so irritating with their cases I dont know if I want to give them anymore $$$
Old 26th July 2021, 03:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

The company that makes the cases are no longer making clear ones which is why a lot of labels are moving to the Criterion style cases, but since the thing that identifies a limited Indicator release and a standard re-release is the style of case, they're in a bit of a bind.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 26th July 2021, 03:58 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashforcash View Post
Is anyone else getting annoyed with Indicator's mix and match approach to blu ray cases? I ordered 6 titles from their sale. Anderson Tapes, Mummys Tomb and Breakout all came with blue cases, the others were clear (Maniac, Laura Mars, Last Detail). It is so annoying!

I've had this before. Christine and Vampires were clear, while Ghost of Mars and The Legacy were blue! Grrr. Drives me nuts. Does anyone know what decides the indicator Blue/Clear cases?
In a nutshell, availability of clear Amaray cases. Indicator has by no means been the only label affected by a huge manufacturing shortfall in recent months, and the only alternative is to delay releases indefinitely until sufficient supplies become available, which I'm afraid simply isn't practical - not least because it would doubtless attract considerably more complaints!

It probably doesn't help to confirm that the Powerhouse team is just as annoyed by this as you are, but you can rest assured that we are, and that we completely sympathise.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 26th July 2021, 04:06 PM
Cultist

Thanks Michael. I had no idea it was a manufacturing issue. Very understandable given everything going on. Hope all is well at Powerhouse Towers!
Old 26th July 2021, 08:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
Inspired by the above conversation, and with a bit of time on my hands, I thought I'd do a 1970s MIA list for BRIT Horror

1970s BRIT HORROR not yet on Bluray (in the UK)
I've done a follow-up list for BRIT horror films MIA on bluray, this time for the 1960s

Posting it here in the hope that Michael Brooke will wander by and confirm that Indicator might have one or two

1960s BRIT HORROR not yet on Bluray (in the UK)
g053584398 and markchro like this.
Old 12th August 2021, 06:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

This is newly announced.

Mae West in Hollywood.

Includes an exclusive double-sided poster only available with direct orders from this website (poster features original designs for She Done Him Wrong and I'm No Angel). While stocks last.

NIGHT AFTER NIGHT (Archie Mayo, 1932)
SHE DONE HIM WRONG (Lowell Sherman, 1933)
I’M NO ANGEL (Wesley Ruggles, 1933)
BELLE OF THE NINETIES (Leo McCarey, 1934)
GOIN’ TO TOWN (Alexander Hall, 1935)
KLONDIKE ANNIE (Raoul Walsh, 1936)
GO WEST YOUNG MAN (Henry Hathaway, 1936)
EVERY DAY’S A HOLIDAY (A Edward Sutherland, 1937)
MY LITTLE CHICKADEE (Edward F Cline, 1940)
THE HEAT’S ON (Gregory Ratoff, 1943)

Release date: 22 November 2021
Limited Edition Blu-ray Box Set (9x UK Blu-ray premieres, 1x World Blu-ray premiere)

When Mae West went to Hollywood in the early 1930s, she was already a major star. Having sensationalised Broadway, it was time for the movies to receive the same. Her fame allowed her control, picking her co-stars (including a young Cary Grant), receiving screenwriter credits, and baiting censors and audiences alike as the pre-Code era gave way to a more sanitised period in American filmmaking. This six-disc collection brings together all ten of West’s classic Hollywood features, from her supporting turn in 1932’s Night After Night to 1943’s musical extravaganza, The Heat’s On.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY BOX SET SPECIAL FEATURES

4K restoration of I’m No Angel
2021 restorations of Belle of the Nineties, Go West Young Man and Every Day’s a Holiday from 4K scans
2018 restorations of Goin’ to Town and My Little Chickadee from 4K scans
2017 restoration of She Done Him Wrong from a 4K scan
High Definition remasters of Night After Night, Klondike Annie and The Heat’s On
Original mono soundtracks
Audio commentary on She Done Him Wrong by critic and film historian Pamela Hutchinson (2021)
Audio commentary on I’m No Angel by critic and writer Farran Smith Nehme (2021)
Audio commentary on Klondike Annie by academic and curator Eloise Ross (2021)
Audio commentary on Go West Young Man by writer and film historian Nora Fiore (2021)
Mae West at UCLA (1971): archival audio recording of the great performer in conversation at the University of California, Los Angeles
Introduction to My Little Chickadee by Harriet Fields, granddaughter of W C Fields (2021)
Lucy Bolton on Mae West (2021): the writer and academic discusses the irrepressible stardom of West
Christina Newland on Mae West (2021): the writer and critic looks at West’s glamour and attitudes to sex
Two Super 8 versions of I’m No Angel: a pair of original cut-down home-cinema presentations, each consisting of unique scenes
Super 8 version of The Heat’s On
Original theatrical trailers
New and improved subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
Limited edition exclusive 120-page book with a new essay by Iris Veysey, archival articles, a critical archive, and film credits
World and UK premieres on Blu-ray
Limited edition of 6,000 numbered units
MORE TO BE ANNOUNCED!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 250_MAE_WEST_packshot_72dpi_RGB_transp_720x.jpg (19.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 12th August 2021, 06:43 PM
Cult Veteran

I'm kind of interested, but she was very much a one trick pony and her performances are all the same. I imagine this is £50-60. I'll think about it.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!