Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree3636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th May 2022, 07:36 AM
Cult Master

Full details:

'The Swimmer' (1968) - Pre-order available at PowerHouse Films direct - £18:99

Release date: August 22

"One of the few bona fide counter-cultural films to be produced by a major studio, The Swimmer is a sun-scorched and surreal suburban satire that boasts a fine performance from Burt Lancaster (Castle Keep, Buffalo Bill and the Indians) as Ned Merrill, the all-American man who one day determines to swim home to his Connecticut mansion via a series of pools in his neighbourhood.

Directed by Frank Perry (Diary of a Mad Housewife) imbues Eleanor Perry’s (David and Lisa, Ladybug Ladybug) adaptation of John Cheever’s short story with stunning expressionistic flourishes, creating a true masterpiece of cinema."

Special Features
  • High Definition remaster
  • Original mono audio
  • Audio commentary with Frank Perry biographer Justin Bozung (2022)
  • The original New Yorker short story read by author John Cheever
  • Original theatrical trailer
  • Illeana Douglas trailer commentary (2019)
  • Image gallery: promotional and publicity material
  • New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Sophie Monks Kaufman, a profile of writer John Cheever, extracts from interviews with Frank Perry and Eleanor Perry on the making of the film, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits
  • Limited edition exclusive poster

UK premiere on Blu-ray
Limited edition of 5,000 copies for the UK
Extras subject to change

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 20th May 2022, 08:05 AM
Cult Acolyte

Oh yes, an upgrade for the Hammer Robin Hood films. I'm in.
Nuno_Miranda likes this.
Old 20th May 2022, 08:23 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Full details:

'ROBIN HOOD AT HAMMER: TWO TALES FROM SHERWOOD FOREST' (1960 / 1967) - Pre-order available at ... - £24:99

Just received Indicator's email newsletter and I'm so excited about this! I have the 2009 Sony Pictures' DVD edition boxed set, with Sword of Sherwood Forest, along with Rogues of Sherwood Forest (1950) and The Bandit of Sherwood Forest (1946), and I've been hoping for an upgrade for a long time. Never expected Indicator to release it! The other half of the double bill, Hammer's A Challenge for Robin Hood, I've never even watched before, because I simply couldn't find it anywhere. So this is very exciting. So much that I even placed my very first order with their website, and I'm now just hoping for the best with customs and everything.

An upgraded Peter Cushing!
A new Robin Hood I've never watched!
A new Hammer boxed set!
Extras galore!

This is the best way to start the day.
Dave Boy and nosferatu42 like this.

Last edited by Nuno_Miranda; 20th May 2022 at 07:27 PM.
Old 20th May 2022, 08:51 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Like the '80's ZX Spectrum' type band at the top.....wonder Arrow aren't suing!
Oh god, that's it! For the longest time I couldn't put my finger on why this band on top was so familiar to me. Thanks for pointing it out
Old 20th May 2022, 06:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Full details:

'The Swimmer' (1968) - Pre-order available at PowerHouse Films direct - £18:99

"One of the few bona fide counter-cultural films to be produced by a major studio, The Swimmer is a sun-scorched and surreal suburban satire that boasts a fine performance from Burt Lancaster (Castle Keep, Buffalo Bill and the Indians) as Ned Merrill, the all-American man who one day determines to swim home to his Connecticut mansion via a series of pools in his neighbourhood.

Directed by Frank Perry (Diary of a Mad Housewife) imbues Eleanor Perry’s (David and Lisa, Ladybug Ladybug) adaptation of John Cheever’s short story with stunning expressionistic flourishes, creating a true masterpiece of cinema."

Special Features
  • High Definition remaster
  • Original mono audio
  • Audio commentary with Frank Perry biographer Justin Bozung (2022)
  • The original New Yorker short story read by author John Cheever
  • Original theatrical trailer
  • Illeana Douglas trailer commentary (2019)
  • Image gallery: promotional and publicity material
  • Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Sophie Monks Kaufman, a profile of writer John Cheever, extracts from interviews with Frank Perry and Eleanor Perry on the making of the film, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits
  • Limited edition exclusive poster

UK premiere on Blu-ray
Limited edition of 5,000 copies for the UK
Extras subject to change

One of the strangest "mainstream" films I've ever seen. Cannot wait for this one. Happy Demon!
g053584398 likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th May 2022, 07:17 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
One of the strangest "mainstream" films I've ever seen. Cannot wait for this one. Happy Demon!
It'd be a difficult film to make in the north west of England.
g053584398 and Demoncrat like this.
Old 20th May 2022, 11:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th June 2022, 11:53 AM
Cult Master

'UNIVERSAL NOIR #1' - Pre-order available at PowerHouse Films direct - £49:99

Release date: September 19

"A new series of box sets – following Indicator's acclaimed Columbia Noir series – focusing on the film noir output of another of the major Hollywood studios, Universal Pictures.

Starring such high-profile talents as Burt Lancaster, Joan Fontaine, Shelley Winters, Dan Duryea, Vincent Price, Edmond O’Brien, Sterling Hayden, Gloria Grahame and Jeff Chandler, the six films in this volume feature embezzlement and murder (The Web), confidence tricksters (Larceny), lovers on the lam (Kiss the Blood Off My Hands), an adoption racket (Abandoned), transatlantic criminals (Deported), and police brutality (Naked Alibi).

This stunning collection marks the UK Blu-ray premiere of all six films, and also features an array of fascinating contextualising extras, including newly recorded commentaries for each film, critical appreciations, archival short films, and a 120-page book. Strictly limited to 6,000 numbered units."

Special Features
  • High Definition presentations of The Web, Larceny, Kiss the Blood Off My Hands, Abandoned, Deported and Naked Alibi
  • Original mono audio
  • Audio commentary with film historian David Del Valle on The Web (2022)
  • Audio commentary with academic and curator Eloise Ross on Larceny (2022)
  • Audio commentary with film historians Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and Josh Nelson on Kiss the Blood Off My Hands (2022)
  • Audio commentary with writers and film experts Barry Forshaw and Kim Newman on Abandoned (2022)
  • Audio commentary with filmmaker and film scholar Daniel Kremer on Deported (2022)
  • Audio commentary with film historian Nathaniel Thompson on Naked Alibi (2022)
  • The John Player Lecture with Joan Fontaine (1978): archival audio recording of the star of Kiss the Blood Off My Hands in conversation with film critic Martin Shawcross at London’s National Film Theatre
  • Archival Interview with Victoria Price (2018): the daughter of Vincent Price in conversation with the Film Noir Foundation’s Alan K Rode following a screening of The Web at the Arthur Lyons Film Noir Festival
  • Lucy Bolton on Gloria Grahame (2022): the academic discusses one of the great femme fatales of film noir
  • Christina Newland on Robert Siodmak (2022): the critic and writer looks at the Deported director’s extensive work in film noir
  • Nick Pinkerton on Dan Duryea (2022): the author and critic assesses the life and career of the big-screen tough guy
  • Lux Radio Theatre: ‘The Web’ (1947): radio adaptation featuring Ella Raines, Edmond O’Brien and Vincent Price reprising their roles from the film
  • United Action Means Victory (1939): documentary short about the 1938-39 General Motors strike, with narration written by Kiss the Blood Off My Hands screenwriter Ben Maddow
  • Men of the Lightship (1941): British World War II documentary short, co-written by Kiss the Blood Off My Hands screenwriter Hugh Gray and narrated by Kiss the Blood Off My Hands actor Robert Newton
  • Skirmish on the Home Front (1944): WWII propaganda short starring film noir mainstays Alan Ladd and William Bendix
  • Easy to Get (1947): documentary short directed by Abandoned filmmaker Joseph M Newman as part of the US Army’s ‘Easy to Get’ campaign on venereal disease
  • Theatrical trailer for Kiss the Blood Off My Hands
  • Image galleries: publicity and promotional materials
  • Limited edition exclusive 120-page book with new essays by Iris Veysey, Jill Blake, Karen Hannsberry, Sabina Stent, Sergio Angelini and Walter Chaw, extensive archival articles and interviews, new writing on the various short films, and film credits
  • UK premieres on Blu-ray
  • Limited edition box set of 6,000 numbered units
Extras subject to change

g053584398 and Nuno_Miranda like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 21st June 2022, 05:55 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Pleased to read that Kim Newman has provided a commentary for The Big Gundown.
Old 21st June 2022, 08:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It'd be a difficult film to make in the northwest of England.
Even if ya did try to run home through people's backyards can imagine the scenario,
Being chased by some small yappy dog or a cat hissing at you every time you jump into someone back yard, tripping over yards full of rubbish in back and back alley, and some pot belly guy shouting at ya while he stood at the backdoor having a fag while swigging some special brew.

Like this? Share it using the links below!