Like Tree3663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2023, 11:48 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
So shocked that Phantom of the Monastery went OOP so quickly. I was forced to pick it up on Amazon, but managed to to get it for £12.99.

It must be really difficult for labels to figure out what is going to sell like hotcakes?
You should have been quicker with your sale purchases, Rob.
Rob4 likes this.
Old 3rd January 2023, 01:59 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
I've been working more or less full time on Michael J Murphy between June and December, so I'm really looking forward to getting seriously stuck into 2023.

And I suspect there'll be a fair amount of stuff that has particular appeal round these parts.

I can't go into any more detail than Powerhouse co-founder Sam Dunn did in a recent Chasing Labels podcast, but he's confirmed that there'll be "lots of" Jean Rollin films, as well as Italian exploitation films and native English-language genre films from the same period, all not only in end-to-end 4K restorations but also released in 4K UHD HDR.

He also confirmed that there'll be more Mexican genre films (the reception of La Llorona and especially Phantom of the Monastery has been pretty overwhelming), including titles that weren't mentioned in the Guardian piece that originally spilled the beans.
Indicator’s releases last year were excellent - particularly loved the emphasis on UK 70s films. I hope there are more to come.

I also love the way they wrong foot people at times with their releases - CORRUPTION, the ADVENTURES films, Michael J Murphy etc.

And now, we have Jean Rollin on the way! With ‘lots’ of titles, I take it we can expect more than just his vampire movies ( much as I love those). Some of his non vampire films are among his best IMO - THE DEMONIACS, THE LIVING DEAD GIRL, NIGHT OF THE HUNTED etc. Some never released on Blu Ray titles would be neat, too.

Here’s hoping for some Rollin boxsets!
Old 3rd January 2023, 06:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You should have been quicker with your sale purchases, Rob.
It literally went OOP the day I went to get my sale items Dem. I'm getting them day one next time

I think I'll get Santo on release day though as I like to support Indicator by getting some stuff full price.
Old 3rd January 2023, 06:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
It literally went OOP the day I went to get my sale items Dem. I'm getting them day one next time

I think I'll get Santo on release day though as I like to support Indicator by getting some stuff full price.
I ordered the two Mexican horrors on the first day of the sale. Friday i think it was. By Saturday evening they'd gone from the store.

I'd love to get everything on their release day but the truth is i simply can't afford to. Not when single titles are costing £20 (Looking at you here mainly 88 Films) for nothing more than a cheap slip case. At least Indicator sets are always highest quality with their cases, posters etc. I do cherry pick some titles as first day / week purchases such as Creatures the World Forgot and the Robin Hood at Hammer set.

Have you watched the two Mexi-horrors, Rob?

I saw La Llorona early December and sadly for the most part found it bored me to tears. It kinda put me off watching the second film.

However i watched Phantom of the Monastery last night and absolutely loved it. Thought it was superb. I'm attempting to compose a review for The Gothic Thread later this evening.
Rob4 likes this.
Old 3rd January 2023, 09:44 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
I ordered the two Mexican horrors on the first day of the sale. Friday i think it was. By Saturday evening they'd gone from the store.

I'd love to get everything on their release day but the truth is i simply can't afford to. Not when single titles are costing £20 (Looking at you here mainly 88 Films) for nothing more than a cheap slip case. At least Indicator sets are always highest quality with their cases, posters etc. I do cherry pick some titles as first day / week purchases such as Creatures the World Forgot and the Robin Hood at Hammer set.

I saw La Llorona early December and sadly for the most part found it bored me to tears. It kinda put me off watching the second film.

However i watched Phantom of the Monastery last night and absolutely loved it. Thought it was superb. I'm attempting to compose a review for The Gothic Thread later this evening.
Not seen them yet but I'd heard that Phantom was a good film whilst La Llorona was more of 'historical' value. I'm a 1930s horror completist so I had to have them both.

I wish somebody would do a Tod Slaughter boxset on bluray but I don't suppose any decent prints exist?
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 3rd January 2023, 10:23 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:

I look forward to your thoughts on Monastery Dem. Of the two Mexican gothics it's the one I fancy more. Gutted I missed it in the sale.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 3rd January 2023, 10:27 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Not seen them yet but I'd heard that Phantom was a good film whilst La Llorona was more of 'historical' value. I'm a 1930s horror completist so I had to have them both.

I wish somebody would do a Tod Slaughter boxset on bluray but I don't suppose any decent prints exist?
I'm not overly familiar with Tod Slaughter. Did watch something called Crimes At The Dark House on Amazon prime last week and it was a fairly decent print. Not a bad film either, wish I were a bit more proactive at reviews.

Old 3rd January 2023, 10:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:

I'd not be going anywhere near a Slaughter box set. I've seen Sweeney Todd, Murder at the Red Barn and Crimes at the Dark House and i thought they were all horrendous.

Sorry.
Old 3rd January 2023, 11:48 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I'd not be going anywhere near a Slaughter box set. I've seen Sweeney Todd, Murder at the Red Barn and Crimes at the Dark House and i thought they were all horrendous.

Sorry.
I quite enjoyed Crimes at the Dark House in an odd sort of way.

MrBarlow likes this.
Old 4th January 2023, 01:34 AM
Cult Addict

I watched Sweeney Todd for the first time the other night, and while it's technically not a great film, stagey and pretty cheesy, I really enjoyed it thanks to the pairing of the demon barber and the pie woman.

Slaughter really eats the scenery in an over the top pantomime villain way, laughing evilly to himself in a performance that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Also the guy wondering where the bodies went while eating one of the pies made me laugh.

slaughts.jpeg

"You've got a lovely throat for a razor!!"
MrBarlow likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Like this? Share it using the links below!