Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree3663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th June 2018, 06:47 PM
Seasoned Cultist

These films aren’t the least bit “hammy” - in fact, I’m not sure it’s even possible to ham up dialogue as spare and laconic as Burt Kennedy’s, and Randolph Scott and his co-stars definitely don’t.

In fact, while I’m no expert, I’m under the impression that these are crucial transitional works - Sergio Leone cheerfully admitted (to his face!) that he “stole everything” from Boetticher, and it’s easy to see what he meant.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 5th June 2018, 06:49 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
I've ordered the Hammer set from HMV.

Unfortunately I can't bring myself to buy the Five Tall Tales set.The only PH release I've not yet picked up....
When it comes to westerns,I'm afraid it's spaghetti,Eastwood or nowt.....
I'm surprised you don't like films like Winner's Chato's Land or Red Sun, another Bronson flick...Breakheart Pass.
Crimson Blade likes this.
Old 5th June 2018, 06:50 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Talking of Eastwood, he’s a massive Boetticher fan too - again, for reasons that are pretty obvious if you watch the films.
Old 5th June 2018, 06:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
Talking of Eastwood, he’s a massive Boetticher fan too - again, for reasons that are pretty obvious if you watch the films.
Scott played the loner as seen in these films long before Eastwood came along.
Old 5th June 2018, 06:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

good article here on the Boetticher westerns

The low-slung, slyly subversive westerns of Budd Boetticher

i saw them many years ago so i can't remember the plots but i do remember them as little gems. they have nice compact running times but still pack in a lot of drama. certainly must buys for western fans.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 5th June 2018, 06:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Deconstruction of Western Genre in the 1950's and 1960's - Budd Boetticher, Sam Peckinpah, and Sergio Leone | KwangWoo NOH - Academia.edu
Rob4 likes this.
Old 5th June 2018, 07:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

Hey Michael

noticed Oleanna is coming next month. does this mean there is a big MGM deal or just a toe in the water like the Universal deal?
Old 5th June 2018, 07:28 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
Hey Michael

noticed Oleanna is coming next month. does this mean there is a big MGM deal or just a toe in the water like the Universal deal?
Neither - the UK rights aren't with MGM.
Old 5th June 2018, 07:30 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
These films aren’t the least bit “hammy” - in fact, I’m not sure it’s even possible to ham up dialogue as spare and laconic as Burt Kennedy’s, and Randolph Scott and his co-stars definitely don’t.

In fact, while I’m no expert, I’m under the impression that these are crucial transitional works - Sergio Leone cheerfully admitted (to his face!) that he “stole everything” from Boetticher, and it’s easy to see what he meant.
I'm not rowing with you - this is a matter of personal taste - you either like something or you don't. Cine-literate filmmakers like Leone drew from all over the place and it's the cohesive whole that I find satisfying. With some exceptions, my interest in Hollywood starts from the early 1960s for the reasons I alluded to in an earlier post. Try as I might, I've never gelled with most of the American films made prior to that period - particularly westerns. In fact, I hated them as a kid because of the abundance of 1950s and 1960s American westerns that were shown on Sunday afternoons (along with the loathsome BONANZA). It wasn't until I saw The Good, The Bad and the Ugly at the age of ten (the choice of going to bed or staying up and grudgingly watching a "cowboy film") that my stance changed massively.
Old 5th June 2018, 07:53 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The bottom line is that you haven't seen them. Seriously, watch one of them - The Tall T or Ride Lonesome would be good starting points - and then see if you still stand by what you're claiming.

Because I suspect your actual reaction would most likely be very similar to mine - bearing in mind that I myself hadn't seen a single one prior to March this year. And I'd also barely seen a single Western made before 1960, because my prejudices chime pretty much perfectly with yours.
Paul@TheOverlook likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!