Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree3636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd August 2018, 10:06 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The extras on Night of the Demon are amazing.

Well done Powerhouse for making me buy a set which i won't even be able to play.

Can i just ask why there are four cuts of the film and will we be watching them all in years to come or just the UK 96 minute version?
Old 2nd August 2018, 11:14 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Because the film has been shown in four distinct versions, as established by the indefatigable research of UCLA's Scott MacQueen (who did the heavy lifting of actually trawling through archives and studio documentation), and seamless branching makes it a doddle to present all four without having to compromise on the bitrate. And since this is intended to be a proper scholarly edition of the film, this made perfect sense.

Last edited by Michael Brooke; 2nd August 2018 at 06:22 PM.
Old 2nd August 2018, 11:30 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Absolutely stacked! Some of the newly commissioned supplements on Night Of The Demon in particular sound interesting, Frayling, Fujiwara (I have his Preminger book, but not his Tourneur one; must rectify) and Newman. The Truth of Alchemy sounds like it will be interesting too, and thankfully there's a video feature about the version differences.

Not going to lie I was hoping for some Crawford in the Castle set, but honestly wasn't expecting so, since her work was towards the latter stages of his output. Do we know what's in the remaining set? The Old Dark House was confirmed, right? So Strait-Jacket, The Night Walker and I Saw What You Did? Or would 13 Frightened Girls be in place of one of them? Looking forward to finding out. I already own the Scream Factory release of I Saw What You Did, but I'm more than happy to double dip if the second volume is as lavish as the first.
Old 2nd August 2018, 11:45 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Looking into it, neither The Night Walker nor I Saw What You Did were at Columbia, which I guess narrows it down a bit. A shame, I'm fond of The Night Walker.
Old 2nd August 2018, 12:22 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
Looking into it, neither The Night Walker nor I Saw What You Did were at Columbia, which I guess narrows it down a bit. A shame, I'm fond of The Night Walker.
the second set looks to be Strait-Jacket, 13 Frightened Girls, Zotz!, The Old Dark House

not the strongest of line-ups. maybe they should have mixed them up a bit more?
Old 2nd August 2018, 01:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
the second set looks to be Strait-Jacket, 13 Frightened Girls, Zotz!, The Old Dark House

not the strongest of line-ups. maybe they should have mixed them up a bit more?
Yeah, I'm not a fan of Zotz! at all, and would probably pass on 13 Frightened Girls if it was a stand-alone release. But I don't think I've seen Castle's The Old Dark House, and I'm a huge fan of Strait-Jacket. I'd buy the set for Strait-Jacket alone.
Old 2nd August 2018, 01:46 PM
Cult Acolyte

Any chance 13 GHOSTS comes with this?
Would be a good gimmick and you can see the ghosts clearer than just flat viewing.

10845197_2.jpg
Old 2nd August 2018, 02:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Any chance 13 GHOSTS comes with this?
Would be a good gimmick and you can see the ghosts clearer than just flat viewing.

Attachment 207287
• Two presentations of 13 Ghosts: the original ‘Illusion-O’ presentation and the alternative black-and-white version

you'd think they'd be included given the above. however, if not are they available from anywhere?
Old 2nd August 2018, 02:17 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
• Two presentations of 13 Ghosts: the original ‘Illusion-O’ presentation and the alternative black-and-white version

you'd think they'd be included given the above. however, if not are they available from anywhere?
I just watched my dvd version with 3-D glasses, worked fine with one eye open.

Not the best way admittedly but it worked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00001.jpg (41.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00002.jpg (97.4 KB, 10 views)
Drakie79 and Dave Boy like this.
Old 2nd August 2018, 02:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

On my DVD version in the William Castle Box set, the film does not come with glasses although some DVD versions have them.
When I watched the movie, I had an old pair of the red and blue 3D glasses Like Dem hanging around and looked through one lens, and it worked. You can actually see the ghosts better than watching it flat or not see them at all.

Like this? Share it using the links below!