Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree3663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th July 2018, 10:22 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

A moot point though, since they don’t have a deal with Studio Canal. But a man can live in hope!
Old 6th July 2018, 10:31 PM
Seasoned Cultist

No, it was because Christine sold out faster than anyone dared anticipate, so it made sense to nab every other John Carpenter title available. But I can’t for the moment think about how, say, Charley Varrick selling out is a harbinger of On the Buses being a massive hit.

Also, people are constantly assuring us that such-and-such a title will be “huge”. But, oddly, they’re never so confident about this that they’re prepared to subsidise the shortfall if it turns out not to be - even though such an offer would significantly increase the chances of such a title being acquired (if available, which isn’t the case with On the Buses).
Stephen@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 6th July 2018, 10:44 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
No, it was because Christine sold out faster than anyone dared anticipate, so it made sense to nab every other John Carpenter title available. But I can’t for the moment think about how, say, Charley Varrick selling out is a harbinger of On the Buses being a massive hit.

Also, people are constantly assuring us that such-and-such a title will be “huge”. But, oddly, they’re never so confident about this that they’re prepared to subsidise the shortfall if it turns out not to be - even though such an offer would significantly increase the chances of such a title being acquired (if available, which isn’t the case with On the Buses).

I know what you mean though. Unless it’s a huge title, you never really know what’s going to a big seller, or what’s going to be dead in the water so to speak. Case in point, I bet Arrow had no idea their release of The Endless was going to be a huge seller for then and looking like being close to sold out.
Old 7th July 2018, 04:37 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
StudioCanal would have to open up their catalogue to other boutique labels first. And if they did, the list of titles we’d be interested in handling before getting round to On the Buses might be quite long.
Be great if they did.
Indicator is fast becoming a Criterion equivalent.
Did they lease The Changeling to Second Sight?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 10th July 2018, 11:18 AM
Cult Acolyte

Hope everyone's watched the Tom Baker extra on THE GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD disc. Tom is excellent, so many funny comments. A great extra.

I would love to see Powerhouse release TRILOGY OF TERROR (1975), the three story TV movie starring Karen Black in all the stories.
Most remember the final segment where Karen is terrorized by a fetish doll come to life.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 10th July 2018, 11:30 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Hope everyone's watched the Tom Baker extra on THE GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD disc. Tom is excellent, so many funny comments. A great extra.
This was supposed to end up as 10-15 mins in line with the Jane Seymour and Caroline Munro pieces, but as soon as we looked at the rushes the editor was under strict instructions to lose as little as possible. I think it lost less than four minutes in the end, which was pretty much entirely made up of interviewer questions, the odd technical flub and a few nips and tucks, but pretty much every syllable that Baker uttered made it to the final cut.

Quote:
I would love to see Powerhouse release TRILOGY OF TERROR (1975), the three story TV movie starring Karen Black in all the stories.
Most remember the final segment where Karen is terrorized by a fetish doll come to life.
I can't see Powerhouse moving into American telly any time soon. Not least because they tend to favour striking blanket deals involving multiple titles, which would mean a commitment to more US TV - which isn't really their remit.
Old 10th July 2018, 11:41 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
This was supposed to end up as 10-15 mins in line with the Jane Seymour and Caroline Munro pieces, but as soon as we looked at the rushes the editor was under strict instructions to lose as little as possible. I think it lost less than four minutes in the end, which was pretty much entirely made up of interviewer questions, the odd technical flub and a few nips and tucks, but pretty much every syllable that Baker uttered made it to the final cut.
It's so good. A very repeatable extra. I did not want it to end. Well done all.

I watched the Jane Seymour extra again as well. So good to hear her views on the film and behind the scenes. She looks so good I can't believe she is 67 years old.
Old 10th July 2018, 01:08 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Be great if they did.
Indicator is fast becoming a Criterion equivalent.
Did they lease The Changeling to Second Sight?
I am not sure of the legalities of Changeling but I'd assume it would be a Studiocanal mainstay based on its release pattern on DVD here (Momentum licenced from Kinowelt and then Optimum released it - I have a feeling it's a Carolco title and, if that's the case, it's most definitely with Studiocanal).

Studiocanal does licence products - Network had a fair few of them (The Man who Haunted Himself, Handgun, Slayground, Honkytonk Freeway, etc) - I'm not sure if that was a one-off deal though.
Old 10th July 2018, 01:10 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Changeling has nothing to do with Powerhouse.
Old 10th July 2018, 02:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
The Changeling has nothing to do with Powerhouse.
i think his question was did studiocanal license to Second Sight. but i can see why it would be confusing.

Michael, while on the subject of licensing are you guys looking at any other studios? there are some real gems lounging in the Paramount vaults like Lets Scare Jessica to Death, Blood and Roses, etc.

also someone said the Universal deal was very limited - any chance of a future extension?

would be good to know that Powerhouse has a healthy roster going into the future.
nosferatu42 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!