LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st July 2020, 07:07 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
If you get hooked like i did then it'll cost you.

However i'm sure Screenbound will be delighted.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg c2c855fe2c034787b02eb8107b03b2dd.jpg (23.7 KB, 11 views)
Susan Foreman likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 21st July 2020, 07:34 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Not saying they ain't.......

The point I'm making is that surely if Indicator can take a chance on films like this,then the Confessions films must surely be a low risk in comparison....
Five Tall Tales is region-free, and none of the films is available on Blu-ray in the US. The Budd Boetticher Westerns had been frequently requested from multiple labels over the years, and we had every reasonable expectation that a box of them would do well - which, happily, has been borne out by reality.

I'm guessing that you're significantly underrating their appeal because you personally have no interest in classic Westerns, but this project really wasn't anything like as big a gamble as you're making out. If it had been, we'd have gone with a much smaller print run than 6,000.
Old 21st July 2020, 07:48 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

****ing hell it's the Five Tales brigade.
Was wondering how long it was before you got the club out.

Listen,I've bought almost EVERY one of your titles since it's conception,yes even at £22 a pop on the high street,so if I got my non-industry-insider facts wrong,then I apologize.

However,I'm entitled to an opinion and it's my opinion that a Confessions box would sell very well.

I WASN'T PUTTING THE FIVE TALES SET DOWN.YOUR DISCS ARE FAR TOO GOOD TO PUT DOWN FFS!

You know,something,I've said it before,people should be able to give their opinions on forums like like this without some 'I work in the industry and know more than you' person like you putting them down at every opportunity.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 21st July 2020, 07:51 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
Five Tall Tales is region-free, and none of the films is available on Blu-ray in the US. The Budd Boetticher Westerns had been frequently requested from multiple labels over the years, and we had every reasonable expectation that a box of them would do well - which, happily, has been borne out by reality.

I'm guessing that you're significantly underrating their appeal because you personally have no interest in classic Westerns, but this project really wasn't anything like as big a gamble as you're making out. If it had been, we'd have gone with a much smaller print run than 6,000.
Michael, reading between the lines you seem to be suggesting that things like the Boetticher Westerns might not be as commercially viable in the future now that you guys are obliged to Region Code? Or at least have fewer copies made available?

I'm still hoping for a Columbia Boris Karloff set...
Old 21st July 2020, 07:59 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:

Listen,I've bought almost EVERY one of your titles since it's conception,yes even at £22 a pop on the high street,so if I got my non-industry-insider facts wrong,then I apologize.

However,I'm entitled to an opinion and it's my opinion that a Confessions box would sell very well.

I WASN'T PUTTING THE FIVE TALES SET DOWN.YOUR DISCS ARE FAR TOO GOOD TO PUT DOWN FFS!

You know,something,I've said it before,people should be able to give their opinions on forums like like this without some 'I work in the industry and know more than you' person like you putting them down at every opportunity.

You'd do well to remember,the physical media buying public keep folk like you in a job.
Blimey. Did my perfectly reasonable post really warrant that thermonuclear overreaction?
Old 21st July 2020, 08:02 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:

I worked as a home ent buyer for ten years and I'd have been cautious with that Boetticher set - it's less a pile on you Reaps and more of just another opportunity for Mr B. to send himself flowers

I've known one of the guys who started Powerhouse for 15 years or more and I can tell you that his passion for film is a big part of what they release and I imagine that a fair few of those titles are gambles simply because he loves them - he's one of a very tiny handful of people I've known that's universally positive about most films and without ever seeming to be disingenuous.
Old 21st July 2020, 08:05 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Blimey. Did my perfectly reasonable post really warrant that thermonuclear overreaction?
No it didn;t.
I apologize.

Let's set this straight,I didn't think FIVE TALES would be as popular as you said it was.It was.Great for PH.

Interest in classic westerns stretches as far as Eastwood or Spaghetti.
Maybe High Noon or Shane.

All I'm saying is...the Confessions films.....are they really a high risk?
Would they maybe not be more popular than the last Hammer set?

Old 21st July 2020, 08:07 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
Michael, reading between the lines you seem to be suggesting that things like the Boetticher Westerns might not be as commercially viable in the future now that you guys are obliged to Region Code? Or at least have fewer copies made available?

I'm still hoping for a Columbia Boris Karloff set...
The honest answer is that I don't know, and it's going to be quite hard to judge even from things like sales of Hammer volume 5 (the first region-locked Hammer box), because if it ultimately sells fewer copies than volume 4, there may be other reasons for this besides region-locking - with the best will in the world, not even the most rabidly uncritical Hammer fan is going to be able to pretend with a straight face that Visa to Canton and The Brigand of Kandahar are in the same class as Revenge of Frankenstein, Taste of Fear or The Damned.

But I can certainly confirm that the Columbia vaults will be fuelling more Indicator box sets.
Old 21st July 2020, 08:26 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The honest answer is that I don't know, and it's going to be quite hard to judge even from things like sales of Hammer volume 5 (the first region-locked Hammer box), because if it ultimately sells fewer copies than volume 4, there may be other reasons for this besides region-locking - with the best will in the world, not even the most rabidly uncritical Hammer fan is going to be able to pretend with a straight face that Visa to Canton and The Brigand of Kandahar are in the same class as Revenge of Frankenstein, Taste of Fear or The Damned.

But I can certainly confirm that the Columbia vaults will be fuelling more Indicator box sets.

Definitely not in the same class, but it it weren't for Indicator, they're probably films that i'd have went to my grave without seeing. The same can be said for Cash on Demand (whch IS a great film). That one is now on my Christmas watch pile every year (since it's a Christmas film).
Graeme73 likes this.
Old 21st July 2020, 08:36 PM
Cult Acolyte

well now the storm in the teacup has settled down and we're all mates again ... MB didn't actually rule out a Confessions set did he...

Like this? Share it using the links below!